Quantcast
RV Camping; Tips, tricks & repairs - Page 18 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 18 of 150 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 28 ... LastLast

Thread: RV Camping; Tips, tricks & repairs

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 01-01-2017 at 11:46 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Anyone have any experience getting propane tanks re certified? I guess my trailer is 10 years old now so the tanks are expired.

Both tanks have been covered their entire life so they look brand new but obviously that doesn't matter.

Really I am just looking for the cheapest way to replace or re cert them.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Originally posted by s_havinga
    Anyone have any experience getting propane tanks re certified? I guess my trailer is 10 years old now so the tanks are expired.

Both tanks have been covered their entire life so they look brand new but obviously that doesn't matter.

costco and buy new ones, I have to double check, I am going in the same boat this year or next

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

just do a cylinder exchange at a gas station, usually around $25-30 for an exchange so its only a few bucks more than a normal fill and you get a newer tank.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

Originally posted by Thaco
    just do a cylinder exchange at a gas station, usually around $25-30 for an exchange so its only a few bucks more than a normal fill and you get a newer tank.
    Shoulda mentioned they are 30lb tanks, I don't think I've seen any 30lb bottles at exchange places before.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Shoulda mentioned they are 30lb tanks, I don't think I've seen any 30lb bottles at exchange places before.
    ah yeah that makes it a little more difficult, any propane shop like canwest should be able to re-cert them for you
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

Originally posted by Thaco
    Just so you know...those tank exchange places won't take expired tanks in trade. They have to be less than 10 years old.

Also recertification is almost the same price as a brand new costco tank. Just get new tanks.
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 05-05-2016 at 01:31 PM.

Originally posted by C_Dave45

Just so you know...those tank exchange places won't take expired tanks in trade. They have to be less than 10 years old.

Also recertification is almost the same price as a brand new costco tank. Just get new tanks.
    That's true, but I also find it is very uncommon for the gar bar to actually check.

So far the priced I have found is

Costco online- $85 for and empty tank
    Canadian tire- $99 empty
    Tempheat- Recert for $45

I think they are still mostly full from last season so I'll burn it off the start of the season and then looks like recert is the way to go (unless costco in store is way cheaper then online which is entirely possible)

My Ride
    08 Civc LX, 03 Durango, 11 Duramax

I just bought 2 new 30lb tanks from Costco for my 5th wheel - in store they are $59.99

for an extra $15 bucks a tank, get new.

Originally posted by 410440
    I just bought 2 new 30lb tanks from Costco for my 5th wheel - in store they are $59.99

for an extra $15 bucks a tank, get new.
    Thanks for the info- I hate how Costco does that with things being way cheaper in store then online.

Yeah I paid $48 for my 30's but that was 3 summers ago. Propane was $18 for a fill. $59 is what I heard now as well, and only $13 for a fill.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

I was just at Costco yesterday and the $59.99 price is correct. I was picking up an extra 20lb for my gas fire pit as I am assuming there will be no fires anywhere this summer. I didn't notice if the 30lb had it, but Costco's 20lb tanks have a gauge on them to show how much propane is in the tank. Nice feature.

C_Dave45 - I used to have a 2008 Innsbruck by Gulfstream (basically the identical trailer) and loved it. I went to a smaller RV because I wanted a smaller SUV (tired of full sized ones). Just bought the new SUV so I will have to take a pic of the pair together soon.

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

I was thinking about buying a propane fire pit as well in anticipation of the fire bans that we will have all summer for camping but I was reading on the Alberta Parks website that these are not allowed as well if there is a ban. Only propane stoves, grills etc used for cooking is allowed.

Finally got around to de-winterize my tent trailer in preparation for May long. This is the first time I've done this process and it was quite the process.... Rookie move with the hot water tank trying to descale it with vinegar and water....I didn't realize that the anode will get eaten away with the vinegar. Good thing there is still some left and should be good for the season. Lesson learned

My Ride

This is my first year camping - I bought a truck earlier in March followed up fairly quickly by a 5th wheel.

2011 GMC 2500HD Duramax and a 1997 Beachcomber 27-2 W/Bunk beds.

Got a decent deal on the trailer, but followed up by a shitload of work. Next time I buy a used trailer I know what to look for...

So far I have replaced the awning (why I didn't check that was beyond me)

I put 3" lift blocks on the trailer so it rode better with my truck, the old trailers and the new trucks wind up having some pretty big differences in height on the 5th wheels.

I have had to replace the entire grey water drain plumbing from kitchen sink back to the grey water tank, looks like the previous owner forgot to put antifreeze in the P-Traps and they all froze and cracked - discovered this when I was de-winterizing.... at least the supply lines are all fine.

Had to replace both 30 lb tanks as they were expired

For good measure, I resealed the entire trailer using some higher end sealant, it had some slight damage to the front corner, so I fixed that and re sealed that entire portion as well.

The plastic weather stripping was cracked and broken in many places, so I got some white duct tape and redid all of the seams with that just over the weather stripping. I will probably have to re-do that every year or try and find some better tape - at least the white matches somewhat.

Anyway, here are some pictures...

So can someone PLEASE explain to me why RV companies seem incapable of installing stabilizer jacks that reach the ground?

My mom just bought a Jayco hybrid and it is infuriating that she needs blocking just to be able to use the stabilizer jacks on even the slightest inclines.

/rant

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Ready to rock!

Heading out this weekend to the Kootenays in pursuit of wild turkeys!

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride

For you guys that do bush camping - where are some areas that are within a couple hours of the city?

Can you just camp on any crown land? I have lots of sites booked already for the summer, but I want to head out next weekend and just bush camp / take my dirt bikes.

any suggestions ? Can you just camp anywhere out in waiprous ?

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

For you guys that do bush camping - where are some areas that are within a couple hours of the city?

Can you just camp on any crown land? I have lots of sites booked already for the summer, but I want to head out next weekend and just bush camp / take my dirt bikes.

Yeah, you can pretty much hunker down anywhere on crown land. Check these regulations out for the specifics though;

http://guaranteerv.com/blog/a-beginn...-land-camping/

A good one would be anywhere along hunter valley road. Stay on highway 40 past the town of waiparous and you'll see the sign to turn left. Lots of good spots around there but it can get really busy on long weekends/if there is good weather

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Originally posted by redevil
    I was thinking about buying a propane fire pit as well in anticipation of the fire bans that we will have all summer for camping but I was reading on the Alberta Parks website that these are not allowed as well if there is a ban. Only propane stoves, grills etc used for cooking is allowed.
    Last summer I was in Christina Lake BC while all the forest fires were burning in BC and the US in mid August. There was obviously a fire ban and we used one every day. We even had the fire department come by a few times because people called to complain but they said they were fine. As long as it didn't produce sparks I believe.

Also I was in Radium Hot Springs with fire bans and used it without issues. And I know in the city of Edmonton they are allowed in yards and in the city campground during fire bans.

I don't believe I was ever in an AB provincial campground with it last year though. I will be in Slave Lake for the July long weekend so I hope it is allowed.

Page 18 of 150 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 28 ... LastLast