Quantcast
RV Camping; Tips, tricks & repairs - Page 87 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 87 of 150 FirstFirst ... 77 86 87 88 97 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 2998

Thread: RV Camping; Tips, tricks & repairs

My Ride
    '13 MazdaSpeed 3, Zoom Zoom!

Hello fellow campers!

Went for a drive around Elbow Valley campgrounds last weekend, was surprised to see only 50% full, on Saturday night.

In the market for a pair of 6v golf cart batteries. Is Costco best place to buy them? Is it worth paying the extra $60 each for a better brand, like ones posted at Hobo Camper country?

Do you guys use RV toilet paper? Where do you buy it?

Current procedure to empty is: connect to sani dump, empty black, then empty grey, then spray remaining fresh water into toilet, then shut black and grey valves, then dump a few cups of water/bleach down toilet, thinking this little bit can slosh around keep it fresh.

Couple times ago we used regular paper, and now the black water tank gauge is stuck on 2/3 full (even when its 100% empty). Pretty sure paper got on sensor and caked on there.

Have any tricks for cleaning out black water tank? I've heard lots of bags of ice, at start of trip, to let them slosh around and break it up. Anyone tried this?

How about adding septic tank cleaner, is this recommended?

Happy camping!
    My Karma ran over your Dogma

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

What's the best storage yard? I was going to try to give springbank a call, but the one you're using @ExtraSlow seems like a good one. I live in Cambrian Heights and will primarily be camping in Bragg/Kananaskis area when not in BC.
    I use Springbank next to the airport it’s $90 a month and the longer you lock in the more discount you get. I like it however they don’t allow you to flush your tanks at their yard. Empty yes flush no.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

The Air Lift Ride Control kits are on sale on Amazon right now, just ordered a kit for my F150 only $355. Looking forward to installing it this weekend

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by cidley69 View Post
    Hello fellow campers!

Went for a drive around Elbow Valley campgrounds last weekend, was surprised to see only 50% full, on Saturday night.

In the market for a pair of 6v golf cart batteries. Is Costco best place to buy them? Is it worth paying the extra $60 each for a better brand, like ones posted at Hobo Camper country?

Do you guys use RV toilet paper? Where do you buy it?

Current procedure to empty is: connect to sani dump, empty black, then empty grey, then spray remaining fresh water into toilet, then shut black and grey valves, then dump a few cups of water/bleach down toilet, thinking this little bit can slosh around keep it fresh.

Couple times ago we used regular paper, and now the black water tank gauge is stuck on 2/3 full (even when its 100% empty). Pretty sure paper got on sensor and caked on there.

Have any tricks for cleaning out black water tank? I've heard lots of bags of ice, at start of trip, to let them slosh around and break it up. Anyone tried this?

How about adding septic tank cleaner, is this recommended?

Happy camping!
    Costco batteries are fine.

Never used RV toilet paper, neither have friends who have camped 20+ years. Just make sure you have enough liquid in the black tank when you dump it.

For the black tank, I add a few gallons of my remaining fresh water to it and whatever ice I have left. Then drive to the dump station and empty black first, then grey. Close both, empty the fresh tank in the grey and flush again. I keep a few gallons for the black and add a treatment pack before storing it until the next trip. Black tank cleaning pack mid-season and again when I winterize.

If anyone wants a cheap storage lot, Rockyview RV storage is offering $365 for the first year and then $480 per year for a 30' lot. Hard packed lot with swipe in and out gate, cameras, 8' razor wire fence and onsite "security" (guy that lives there).
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

RV tip, don’t forget to open the battery disconnect when in storage. I was all ready to roll out today when I noticed my 6V GC2’s were completely dead Bought two new ones today so we could still go. Anyways finally ready to head to Kettle River provincial park for three nights. Name:  9A7F961E-F4D4-4608-B8C3-EFF5D26C62E5.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  131.8 KB

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

What would drain it while in storage?

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    What would drain it while in storage?
    Smoke alarms are the main culprit. Logic boards and other loads do add up too.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Propane detector.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

I figured out today how I killed my batteries. I’ll share my embarrassing fail, might save someone else from doing the same. At start of the season I accidentally connected my batteries in reverse polarity (black wire supposed to go to positive wtf). I unknowingly blew the 40A fuse on my on-board converter. First trip of the year I was on a full serviced site, with 30A power, so I didn’t even concern myself with battery levels. The whole trip I used 12V accessories and wasn’t charging. Trailer was stored for a few weeks without charge and battery disconnect closed.

Finally figured out today that my generator wasn’t charging the batteries and found the blown fuses

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Sounds like something that could happen to anyone.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Silverado

Anyone have experience with sealing the bunk ends on a hybrid? Noticed today some softening around left side on the front bunk. Thinking when the bed is up its not sealed and some water is getting in.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Sounds like something that could happen to anyone.
    Makes me want to install a digital voltmeter somewhere in the trailer.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

What trailer you got? I just spent the last month dealing with mine to make it water tight-ish. It was kinda hell..

If you’ve got photos of it open vs closed that’ll help.
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 06-28-2020 at 08:23 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

It's a 2005 Jayco 19H. I can't tell exactly how the water is getting in, but the seal around the outside looks reasonably good. I think it might have to do with a bottom piece that was left velcro'd in place. I think it may have needed to be lifted up each time, not sure how the water was pooling there but it's wet along the length and soft on the left side for sure.

Name:  20200629_110731_compress87.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  33.4 KB
    Name:  20200629_110308_compress50.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  69.1 KB
    Name:  20200629_111125_compress67.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  56.8 KB

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Can you show some photos of the outside? my quick google looks like there is no eavestrough above the door, and i am willing to bet you have water hitting the top, coming down through the seal and running down the sides where it then collects and starts to bead upwards. You can see your one edge is rusty, which likely isnt watertight, and that beads into the bed where it rots it.
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  73.4 KB

Couple things i did on mine:

- I re-did the edge trim with this:
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

seals way better then just regular weatherstripping, don't have to worry about the caulking of edges and stuff.

- I also put weathertrim on the inside for the bulb trim to press against for double-duty

- Recaulked all the outside so it can't go further.

- I also added rubber gaskets to the door closure so that they close harder. Will depend on if you have the screw closure or the luggage

For yours. Just do what you can to get water off the top. If you take a hose, i bet you'll see water gets in through the very top when it rains. The slant is the problem, as you prob wont ever have an issue on the back
    - I'd recommend putting an eavestrough/gutter over the front with gutter spouts.
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also added a vinyl 'base trim' that i cut to go over the gap at the bottom, to reduce the amount of water that can get in during driving. It has helped a lot

My Ride
    Silverado

What's the bulb trim? I think I'll redo the sides and top for sure. I do have the gutter above and it seems to work well. When i folded up the door I could see a ton of light around the bottom hinge area.

Name:  20200629_210531_compress69.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  56.0 KB
    Name:  20200629_210436_compress34.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  49.0 KB

My Ride
    '14 Taco

my bulb trim replaced just the crappy edge trim that went around the entire door. Not sure how yours works for pressing into the door (mines a Roo, not a jayco)

does look like the bottom is a likely issue, and theres that rusty corner again

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Anyone have thoughts on the fastest way to charge batteries when camping off grid? Using Honda eu2200i, should I hook up to main trailer power connection, thus powering the AC circuits in the trailer as well as the WFCO wf-8955pec converter, or should I use my external charger, which shows that it's charging at 13.3A.

Or wildcard third option, connect both?

I know connecting both can't be doing anything good for the batteries long term health but woukd it jam in more amps if the batteries were deeply discharged? Seems like it should, and this would be a viable strategy for short term use.

Edit: batteries are very old trojan T105 6v golf cart batteries that I'm too cheap to replace.

Edit2: I love the Honda eu2200i. What a great generator.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 06-30-2020 at 04:41 PM.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

I plug in to the main trailer connection and power all my outlets and use it as an opportunity to plug in all our battery powered devices (portable stereo, laptop, phones). Ive been checking with a voltmeter every time before and after running the generator for about an hour, it typically charges from 12.2V to 12.7V.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Page 87 of 150 FirstFirst ... 77 86 87 88 97 ... LastLast