Quantcast
RV Camping; Tips, tricks & repairs - Page 89 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 89 of 150 FirstFirst ... 79 88 89 90 99 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 2998

Thread: RV Camping; Tips, tricks & repairs

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whoever thought a full size diesel should be sold with a 96L fuel tank should be shot.
    Direct feed slip = problem solved.

I have a combined fuel capactity of 394L for a while towing range of about 1900km. Over 2500km not towing!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Bumper pull VS 5th wheel pros/cons, say 30' trailer.

Go.
    Always 5th wheel. Tows/maneuvers better. More living space per total length. Most storage. Can B-train if you need it. The only downside is that it takes up your box while towing.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    Direct feed slip = problem solved.

I have a combined fuel capactity of 394L for a while towing range of about 1900km. Over 2500km not towing!

- - - Updated - - -

Always 5th wheel. Tows/maneuvers better. More living space per total length. Most storage. Can B-train if you need it. The only downside is that it takes up your box while towing.
    My ideal setup is a gravity feed slip tank but besides slip tanks being expensive I only have a short box truck as well.

My Ride
    2015 GMC 2500HD Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Bumper pull VS 5th wheel pros/cons, say 30' trailer.

Go.

I'd lean towards the bumper pull. Although the layout of 5th wheels is typically nicer, the hassle of dealing with hitches, loosing the box space, etc is too many of the negatives. Yes I understand that you can put stuff around the hitch, but aint no way a dirtbike is coming with me with a 5th wheel. I'd have to double pull, in which that means I cant go into BC which is where we always seem to end up (Love me some Kookcanusa). If I didnt have other toys to bring I'd prob have a different tune, but this is the stage i'm at in life.

Also depending on what you are spending the bumper pulls seem to have better resale values. I think bumper pulls seem less intimidating to people wanting to get into trailers. JMO.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Either way, watch your pin/tongue weights and payload capacity. Seems like people manage to fuck that up with both 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks. For sure fifth-wheel trailers pull nicer, but you do lose the bed space, and they could be harder to sell because you miss out on the 5.5' box crew cab people, which is like 50% of all pickups these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by blubs View Post
    Yes I understand that you can put stuff around the hitch, but aint no way a dirtbike is coming with me with a 5th wheel.
    Name:  homepage3.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  344.1 KB

Pretty sure there's a solution available

My Ride
    2015 GMC 2500HD Dirtymax

Lol love it. I'm pretty sure if you did that on most new trailers the frames would just fold on them haha.

"I needed to buy a motorcycle honey, we had too much tongue weight on the truck."

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by blubs View Post
    Lol love it. I'm pretty sure if you did that on most new trailers the frames would just fold on them haha.

"I needed to buy a motorcycle honey, we had too much tongue weight on the truck."
    Most of the 5ths (not ultralight versions) are designed for a class 3 on the back expecting a boat or similar to come along.

Exactly! You packed so much shit in there I need to put 2-300# of dirt bike behind the trailer to balance.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Big difference putting a motorbike on a hitch-rack on a motorhome vs a trailer. I have no comment on how easy it is to double-tow, but it's illegal in BC, so there's no point anyway.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Big difference putting a motorbike on a hitch-rack on a motorhome vs a trailer. I have no comment on how easy it is to double-tow, but it's illegal in BC, so there's no point anyway.
    I think it’s only legal to double tow in Alberta from what I saw. Over 10k lbs trailer regardless of recreational or not requires more than a class 5 in BC too.

My Ride
    4x4

BC and Ontario are your no go zones.

So Alberta to Manitoba you're ok.

My Ride
    Changes everyday...

I am looking for a bumper pull. Don’t want to spend a whole lot. First trailer, really wanting a queen size bed for us. I don’t think towing should be a problem have a 17 F150 Ecoboost. Anything I should look at in particular used trailers, any suggestions from Kijiji.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'll say what I always say. Payload/tongue wieght is your limiting factor. And don't trust a salesman on what you should be towing.
    All brands have quality control issues, buy used, get service at independent shops.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Surprisingly Cruise Canada allows you to tow with all of their Class Cs. The thought had not even crossed my mind until i read their FAQ and they mentioned it.
    I’m currently in a 2+ week rental in one of the CC 30 footers. Ford v10. Decent, but annoying climbing steep grade.
    Transmission shifts quite conservatively when it recognizes you’re descending a steep grade also.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    Canyonero

Is it worth recertifying a 30lb LP tank? or best to just buy a new one at costco/wherever?

What security precautions do those of you with trailers in storage take?

Where's the best place in town to stock up on some wiring supplies- the battery terminal blocks on this rig are grotty as fuck and shorting out to the frame I suspect. A pair of group 24/31 or 6v cart batteries is in my future.

Just back from a week of "camping" next to the family cottage to sort out the bugs in this new-to-us decade-old trailer. Overall I am very pleased- very short list of niggling items to address.

edit: anyone have any experience or opinions with sureline foam mattresses? (eg https://rvcatalogue.s3.amazonaws.com...m+Mattress.pdf) Local co, will make custom size to fit the odd dimensions in this trailer.
    Last edited by prae; 07-07-2020 at 12:01 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I use recertified tanks from the fill-in-go on Edmonton trail. Fully worth it. They often have recertified 30 lb tanks in stock so it's a single trip to drop old one, get new one and have it filled.

If you have room for two batteries, and aren't going AGM, or fancier, golf cart batteries will be the cheapest and most robust setup.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 07-07-2020 at 05:50 AM.

Never towed as when on long trips especially in US I was always able to rent a car from nearby town and they would come and pick you up and drop you off at the end of rental. Why pull all this weight behind and pay for extra fuel, when you can rent pretty much anytime. Different story if you are planning local trips and off beaten path so rental would be an issue.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

@Brent.ff and @prae , did you guys sign up at Canadream?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Negative. I'm at some rinky dink place outside of Airdrie, but it was 560 for the year. Worth it to just dump at or on way from camping in my mind
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 07-07-2020 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    I’m currently in a 2+ week rental in one of the CC 30 footers. Ford v10. Decent, but annoying climbing steep grade.
    Transmission shifts quite conservatively when it recognizes you’re descending a steep grade also.
    Yeah we rented the same one for our trip in June. Decent power, can't really complain for a rental. I felt the V10 had enough 'extra' power to be able to tow a car or boat behind.

It was crazy cheap in June with their 20% deal... we paid 80/night + .35/km. Looks like its up to 120/night now for July and August.

Did you have any issues with yours? We had a small leak from behind the kitchen sink (i think it had something to do with water pump) but besides that it was pretty good.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Negative. I'm at some rinky dink place outside of Airdrie, but it was 560 for the year. Worth it to just dump at or on way from camping in my mind
    I'm checking other options because $1000/yr seems like too much. I have a few weeks to work it out. I agree the sani-dump is very handy. Saves a lot of hours on your vacation days. That crossfield public sani-dump killed me.

Page 89 of 150 FirstFirst ... 79 88 89 90 99 ... LastLast