RV Camping; Tips, tricks & repairs - Page 98 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 98 of 150 FirstFirst ... 88 97 98 99 108 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 2998

Thread: RV Camping; Tips, tricks & repairs

My Ride
    Ram truck and some bikes

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My only gripe with the current pump was that it’s quite noisy especially considering it’s directly below where my kids sleep. I don’t know if quieter pumps exist or what to look for if they do exist.

I did see a thing online where someone had wrapped their lines in foam but the noise in my case was coming from the pump itself not necessarily the water flowing through the lines.
    Have seen some guys make an insulated box/cover for the pump to cut down on noise. Would do it in our trailer but its very hard to get at under the bed. Doesn't seem like much room to do anything and I don't want to just lay insulation over it.

My only gripe with the current pump was that it’s quite noisy especially considering it’s directly below where my kids sleep. I don’t know if quieter pumps exist or what to look for if they do exist.

I did see a thing online where someone had wrapped their lines in foam but the noise in my case was coming from the pump itself not necessarily the water flowing through the lines.
    Number one source of noise is the piping hitting the structure of the trailer when the pump runs. There are a few things you can do as others suggested already. First, if the pex is directly to the pump, you can put a piece of hose between the pump and the lines. The dealers have actual kits already made. Next is doing you best to ensure lines aren't hitting the structure immediately off the pump by moving the pump and/or lines. If you can't help it, then use pipe insulation around it in the areas its touching. That should get rid of most of the noise.

Steps further would be mounting the pump to dense rubber then mounting the rubber to the trailer. You can also get a pulsation dampener on the discharge end. That will get rid of the pulsing of the water and subsequent bucking of the lines. They are $60 from amazon. Secondary benefit is that it should prevent the pump from turning on for a quick flush of the toilet in the middle of the night. All of the above should leave you with you being unable to even tell your pump is running.

Broke my water pump on the last trip, forgot to turn it off and it ran dry after a couple of mins on the batteries. Its a shurflo 4008-101-A65 which seems common but all the RV catalogs Ive checked say special order or call for price, any places you guys know would have them in stock? Amazon canada has them for 180 shipped but the lead time is mid sept.

Also looking for a foam mattress thats a bit higher quality that the stock queen size we have in there, the original one I feel like at my weight im basically sleeping on the wood base, costco have queen size mattresses for $379, Ikea has them for a little bit cheaper but reviews seem mixed.

The other thing that broke was the table in the slide. I bought another one of those alumium bases that the single pole slides into but I dont know if this is just my experience it still feels a bit wonky despite being all the way in, maybe they are just like that?
    I know for a fact that Guarantee RV and Hobo have some water pumps in stock.

I wouldn't bother with getting a "better quality" pump, I have an upgraded one in my new trailer and it's still loud. It's the pipes that make the noise. It also has the upgraded hose kit and it does sweet fuck all.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

End caps for my bumper kept working loose while driving, and I was worried I'd lose my dump hose. So I re-created a feature one of my previous trailers had. Ten minutes with a drill and coat hanger, and should work great.
    Name:  IMG_20200824_172038095_HDR.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  45.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_20200824_172321410_HDR.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  89.5 KB
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 08-25-2020 at 07:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

So after buying the pump and bringing it home I went under the trailer and released the valve to empty some of the water from the lines to prepare to install it and then the old pump started working again so I guess its fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    End caps for my bumper kept working loose while driving, and I was worried I'd lose my dump hose. So I re-created a feature one of my previous trailers had. Ten minutes with a drill and coat hanger, and should work great.
    Stop it - ghetto mods like that will most definitely lower your Aspen entry qualification level.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Stop it - ghetto mods like that will most definitely lower your Aspen entry qualification level.
    RV inspection is a standard part of any Aspen home’s conditions of sale.

They also check your beer fridge for white claw content.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

RV inspection is a standard part of any Aspen home’s conditions of sale.

The only inspection is to make sure you don't own one, unless you're over 65 and it's a $1m class-A

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    The only inspection is to make sure you don't own one, unless you're over 65 and it's a $1m class-A
    Well... Yea
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I don't even like to drive in aspen, I damn sure don't want to live there.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

This comment is gold

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Been using a 19' Roo Hybrid all year. Has been a good little trailer, but man alive it just tanks my gas mileage and is really way to big for me, the wife and the dog (it could sleep 6 adults and 2 kids pretty easily). So many other models out there that i dunno where even to start looking so really just have a wish list

- light and aero. The current trailer we have isnt that heavy (4300 lbs gvwr), but is an absolute sail behind the tacoma, and is destroying my gas mileage. The contemplation to take this thing to the west coast just sounds like im visiting every gas station we can find.
    - prefer a non-hybrid. Actually really like the hybrid for sleeping and camping in, but setup is a pain
    - 1 permanent bed - queen size.
    - 1 dinette that can convert to a bed
    - kitchen
    - full size rv fridge
    - toilet and sink
    - outside shower (dont need inside)
    - low maintenance.

The Escape trailers kind of meet all this with their 19 footer, but i dont have 40k sitting around for a trailer..

Help with ideas?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Apex has some cool little trailers in the Nano line
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

There's only two types that will get you better mileage. A pop-up tent trailer, or an Airstream.

Bad fuel economy is just part of the game, unless you upgrade your truck.

My Ride
    Silverado

I'd suggest a half ton

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    There's only two types that will get you better mileage. A pop-up tent trailer, or an Airstream.

Bad fuel economy is just part of the game, unless you upgrade your truck.
    I agree, but my trailer is a solid foot wider then my truck on both sides plus 2 feet taller. It's a frigging sail. Saving ~1300 lbs and reducing my cross-sectional width will have an impact on gas mileage

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

pop-up trailers get significantly better fuel economy.

If you are looking for something with less frontage then the R-Pods are the way to go.

Having said that, your fuel economy is still going to suck. I also wouldn't risk a trip in the mountains with a tow vehicle that has an 80L gas tank.

My Ride
    2015 GMC 2500HD Dirtymax

The hardwall requirement really eliminates any trailers that would easier towing... If it was me i'd be looking at just putting an extended tank on the truck, or if you are planning to tow lots just move up to a half ton. All these others trailers might be slightly better, but that being said even if they reduce the drag by 10%, your still going to have the same issue.

You can spend a lot of money buying and selling trailers for marginal gains. Or just spend the money on fuel and live with it. Just my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Been using a 19' Roo Hybrid all year. Has been a good little trailer, but man alive it just tanks my gas mileage and is really way to big for me, the wife and the dog (it could sleep 6 adults and 2 kids pretty easily). So many other models out there that i dunno where even to start looking so really just have a wish list

- light and aero. The current trailer we have isnt that heavy (4300 lbs gvwr), but is an absolute sail behind the tacoma, and is destroying my gas mileage. The contemplation to take this thing to the west coast just sounds like im visiting every gas station we can find.
    - prefer a non-hybrid. Actually really like the hybrid for sleeping and camping in, but setup is a pain
    - 1 permanent bed - queen size.
    - 1 dinette that can convert to a bed
    - kitchen
    - full size rv fridge
    - toilet and sink
    - outside shower (dont need inside)
    - low maintenance.

The Escape trailers kind of meet all this with their 19 footer, but i dont have 40k sitting around for a trailer..

Help with ideas?
    The best piece of advice i can offer is accept that the gas mileage will suck. You will not get the RV in your list and expect it to be smaller than 19 foot and thinner than the standard 8ft. If you go with a different truck your depreciation will be more than the cost of extra gas and if you go with a different trailer (while accepting a downsize) your depreciation will also likely not be as much as the gas cost now. Low cost, spacious, light. Pick two.

Page 98 of 150 FirstFirst ... 88 97 98 99 108 ... LastLast