Quantcast
RV Camping; Tips, tricks & repairs - Page 93 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 93 of 150 FirstFirst ... 83 92 93 94 103 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 2998

Thread: RV Camping; Tips, tricks & repairs

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I remember learning about class one levers in grade school.... before I could even operate a motorized vehicle

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Imma just going to leave this here. No judgement to anyone. Just a handy trick. No idea how accurate these are, but it's a good start.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...le/A-p8686024e

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Old tow vehicle yes I agree I shouldnt of been towing with my highlander. Also looking through the Towing WD thread extraslow posted, I dont expect I will have these issues towing with my Infiniti however I will atleast do the measurements (it has auto levelling feature too) before my trip on friday.
    And get to a scale in a week.

Infiniti can tow 8500lbs, trailer is 2950 dry - I just went through everything we have and without firewood and bikes in the equation we are carrying approximately 350lbs (150lbs of that is on the tongue (the batteries and gas bottle) the other 200lbs would be distributed over the rest of the camper.

I will have to weigh my bikes but they will probably collectively be under 200lbs easily since 2 are kids bikes. And I only take firewood in the trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Imma just going to leave this here. No judgement to anyone. Just a handy trick. No idea how accurate these are, but it's a good start.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...le/A-p8686024e
    Bugger none in stock in calgary

My wife doesnt seem concerned at all about this. She's all "use the WD hitch, self levelling feature on infiniti and load the trailer evenly = no problem"
    Last edited by nzwasp; 07-28-2020 at 01:17 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 342
Size:  10.8 KB

Here are the 3 steps I went through when setting up my truck and trailer originally. You'll want to know what your vehicle gvwr is as well as the limits for each truck axle.

According to my sticker, the trailer is 3500 lbs dry. But in actuality it was just a hair over 4000,

Extraslow has some good advice on setting up the hitch, for me I just checked to make sure that I wasn't losing any weight over the front compared to being unloaded. As I am sure you've realized, don't overload the rear axle, put as much as possible in the trailer.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 07-28-2020 at 01:38 PM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    . As I am sure you've realized, don't overload the rear axle, put as much as possible in the trailer.
    Yes and no. I'd been consistently overloading my rear axle rating by about 100lbs before I started loading more things into the trailer, above/behind the axles.

Placement of weight matters.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I seriously doubt you are sitting at 3,300lbs loaded. I camp by myself and I have a lot more than 350lbs of stuff, especially when I count the batteries and propane. Food, bedding, clothes, camp gear, water all count.

Since you haven't been able to weight the trailer loaded, use the GVWR to calculate for now. Dry weight is used to move trailers off lots.

Find out the payload of the tow vehicle, subtract passengers and cargo from that number. Take 15% of the trailer GVWR and use that for tongue weight, subtract that from the remaining payload. If you wind up with a negative number, you're overloaded.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Good call, anyone who hasn't weighed thier trailer should assume it's at 100% gvwr when loaded. That's been pretty close for all of mine. And tongue weight 15% is as good a guess as any.

Taking real weights is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Good call, anyone who hasn't weighed thier trailer should assume it's at 100% gvwr when loaded. That's been pretty close for all of mine. And tongue weight 15% is as good a guess as any.

Taking real weights is better.
    I used 15% since that’s the upper limit of what their tow vehicle says. I’d be double checking what hitch is on there too.

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    How may RV owners do you think are realistically weighing there vehicles etc. - Not many I imagine.
    More than you think. Every single person that i know that has a bumper pull above 3000# does. An trailer that isn't loaded property can severely change the way a vehicle handles the load.

Like others have stated, load your trailer and hit the scales. Weigh both axles of the tow vehicle and the trailer. Its a balance. You want to make sure your vehicle axles are close with the WD hitch and that you are still within the tongue weight range specified by the OEM. It gets dicey when you have a smaller tow vehicle because there isn't a lot of room to play. People think, "Oh, it can pull 5000# so i will buy a a 5000# trailer" and dont think about things like tounge weight, the effect on stopping, and cargo capacity of the tow vehicle.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    I seriously doubt you are sitting at 3,300lbs loaded. I camp by myself and I have a lot more than 350lbs of stuff, especially when I count the batteries and propane. Food, bedding, clothes, camp gear, water all count.

Since you haven't been able to weight the trailer loaded, use the GVWR to calculate for now. Dry weight is used to move trailers off lots.

Find out the payload of the tow vehicle, subtract passengers and cargo from that number. Take 15% of the trailer GVWR and use that for tongue weight, subtract that from the remaining payload. If you wind up with a negative number, you're overloaded.
    I never take water ever. But if I did yes I would be maxing out.

Anyway to your point:

Infiniti Payload Capacity: 1629lbs - 470lbs (people) - 350lbs (cargo in trailer) - 100 lbs in trunk - 510 (15% tongue weight) = 149 lbs remaining.
    Infiniti Towing Capacity: 8500lbs

How is the trailers payload capacity calculated, because in my case the trailer dry is 2950 but the trailer payload is 550lbs - (the tires for the trailer are load rated for 1760lbs each, do the trailer tires somewhat determine the amount of payload for the trailer? because im not sure what else would.)
    Last edited by nzwasp; 07-28-2020 at 04:23 PM.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Trailer GVWR is 3,500lbs? And is the 1,629lbs of payload off the door sticker?

Take the payload off the door sticker, subtract your in vehicle weight (570lbs) and then take 15% of trailer GVWR. Since you haven't weighed the trailer loaded for a typical trip, that's how you do it for now.

There is a 99.9% chance that you're under-counting weight somewhere.

Inner city publicly accessible scale, Manchester area just to south of 42nd Avenue SE - Manchester Industrial scales.
    Last edited by speedog; 07-28-2020 at 05:06 PM.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    Trailer GVWR is 3,500lbs? And is the 1,629lbs of payload off the door sticker?

Take the payload off the door sticker, subtract your in vehicle weight (570lbs) and then take 15% of trailer GVWR. Since you haven't weighed the trailer loaded for a typical trip, that's how you do it for now.

There is a 99.9% chance that you're under-counting weight somewhere.
    The 1629lbs is the Infiniti payload.

The trailers cargo carrying capacity is 550lbs.

Trailer info as per sticker:
    Name:  trailer.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  67.6 KB

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Fun fact... payload numbers exclude the driver (well... a small human worth)

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Inner city publicly accessible scale, Manchester area just to south of 42nd Avenue SE - Manchester Industrial scales.
    If you live in the dirty south, the aldersyde truck scales by the A&W are great too. I just live too far away to make that handy.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    If you live in the dirty south, the aldersyde truck scales by the A&W are great too. I just live too far away to make that handy.
    Is the scale near dewinton no good? Or is this just an excuse for A&W??? Mmmm... burger

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Dunno, I'm a northie. The aldersyde scale has lots of parking to fuck around with your hitch, cargo etc and make multiple passes.

I just pay at the Barlow north CAT scale at the husky truck stop. But I'm a baller who spends money like it's going out of style.

My Ride
    Silverado

There is a free scale southbound McLeod in dewinton. After heritage point but before macleod and deerfoot meet

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    No longer available. Just drive by to check it out.

Name:  IMG_20200728_202035.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  112.8 KB

My Ride
    Canyonero

Added a proper battery monitor to the trailer yesterday, along with a pair of GC2 batteries (a la ExtraSlow; H/T for the recommendation). Our tired Group 24 with 65Ah rated wasnt enough for three nights "offshore".

For $60 it seems like a cheap way to truly understand how much power you're using and help you treat your lead acids kindly. I opted for the "350A" shunt thinking that I might add a 2000W inverter at some point; it's frigging huge and kind of annoying as it's so thick you cannot mount it directly on the post of a battery. Ended up brazing/soldering a bunch of short leads to hook it all together, time consuming PITA. In hindsight I'd probably just go for the 100A shunt next time around as it can handle up to something like 150A (100A is what they call "typical" load.)

A bargain versus a $300 Victron unit.

The biggest pain of the whole process was definitely running the lead from the battery boxes to the cabin of the trailer, which surprised me. Had to cut an access hatch in the corrugated floor sheathing and couldn't fish the wire into the wall next to the factory-installed battery/tank unit as they run wires then install grey/black tanks making it impossible to follow that route.

- - - Updated - - -

Another repair/improvement made last night (probably my favourite thus far). Our Dometic fridge's incandescent festoon bulb was burnt out. I shopped around for a while looking at LED festoon replacements but was never very excited about spending $20 on a bulb I wasn't convinced would last with all the condensation/temperature fluctuations in the fridge.

After reading about it from someone else online, I scrounged up a 12" chunk of under-cabinet LED lighting from my junk drawer and soldered a wire directly to the festoon bulb base. amazing light; feels like a brand new fridge. Will post a pic later of my shitty rusty old fridge with beyond baller lighting.

Page 93 of 150 FirstFirst ... 83 92 93 94 103 ... LastLast