Quantcast
Any big game hunters on beyond.ca? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Any big game hunters on beyond.ca?

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Default Any big game hunters on beyond.ca?

As the title of the thread states. Are there any beyond members that are hunters and if so do have you / do you plan to get out this season to fill a tag or two?
    Discuss!

My Ride
    Wristshots

I got into it a few seasons ago, unfortunately I haven't been able to keep it up as much now due to work and school.

A few years ago I got my first white-tailed deer, a young buck, and went out with my brother to get a doe on his tag. I don't know that I'll get out for any big game this season, but I'll definitely push some upland game bird and waterfowl. If you're ever in the Edmonton area, let me know, we'll head to some of the lakes around here.

What are you going for this season? How have your last few been?

My Ride
    2018 Ford F150 SCREW

Default Re: Any big game hunters on beyond.ca?

Originally posted by KRyn
    As the title of the thread states. Are there any beyond members that are hunters and if so do have you / do you plan to get out this season to fill a tag or two?
    Discuss!
    No big game planned but have game bird tags again this year. Also have two sites booked at the Taber Pheasant Festival in October!

I am hoping to tag along on a couple big game hunts this year but nothing firmed up yet.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by statick
    I got into it a few seasons ago, unfortunately I haven't been able to keep it up as much now due to work and school.

A few years ago I got my first white-tailed deer, a young buck, and went out with my brother to get a doe on his tag. I don't know that I'll get out for any big game this season, but I'll definitely push some upland game bird and waterfowl. If you're ever in the Edmonton area, let me know, we'll head to some of the lakes around here.

What are you going for this season? How have your last few been?
    For this season I am hoping to take my first White tail, I am new to hunting. I have only ever been hunting pheasants before. Was hoping to get out more this season and possibly try some duck hunting. It's funny as I am going to be spending almost all my weekends in Edmonton this year. When are you heading out I would love to take you up on that offer!

My Ride
    Wristshots

KRyn, I've sent you a message.

What are you guys using for your game? I've got a Stoeger double-barrelled 12-bore for most birds and a Silah Sanayi TK-36 for the odd upland game bird. I'm using a Ruger M77 chambered in .270 Winchester for big game, but as I mentioned, I'm not sure how much use it'll see this season. I have a few others with iron sights that could be used for big game, but I can't see myself using them for hunting any time too soon.

My Ride
    2018 Ford F150 SCREW

Winchester Model 12 12ga for upland and a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12ga for waterfowl. Would like to pick up an O/U or semi at some point soon.

Where do you go in Edmonton? I have a buddy who lives there but we usually meet around Red Deer to hunt.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by statick
    KRyn, I've sent you a message.

What are you guys using for your game? I've got a Stoeger double-barrelled 12-bore for most birds and a Silah Sanayi TK-36 for the odd upland game bird. I'm using a Ruger M77 chambered in .270 Winchester for big game, but as I mentioned, I'm not sure how much use it'll see this season. I have a few others with iron sights that could be used for big game, but I can't see myself using them for hunting any time too soon.
    I have a Browning Maxus Stalker I have used for hunting pheasant. This will be the gun I take hunting for waterfowl as well. I have found a few nice SxS shotguns located in Edmonton I would like to take a look at. Variety is the spice of life and it would make a much more appropriate upland bird gun. I always get funny looks when I show up with a semi-auto to hunt upland birds.

For big game I have a Sako A7 chambered in 30-06 topped with a VX3. I also own a 10/22 VLEH for plinking and taking out the occasional gopher. I am also looking to pick up a SKS for more plinking fun.

Anyone take 5the hunters education course online? I recently got my pal and picked up a remington 890 and am looking to get some duck or geese hunting done this season but not sure if I should take the class online or in person.

Also what are some good places to go duck hunting?

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Take the course online, it is very straight forward and you can plug away at it whenever you have a free hour.

Beyond.ca group duck hunting sessions may need to happen in the future!

How long does the course roughly take?

For some reason I could only picture a bunch of beyond members huddling around a TV playing duck hunt on the Nintendo when you said that.

My Ride
    2018 Ford F150 SCREW

Originally posted by elite
    How long does the course roughly take?

For some reason I could only picture a bunch of beyond members huddling around a TV playing duck hunt on the Nintendo when you said that.
    Took me two days doing it off and on at work including the exam. If it hasn't changed you write a 100 question exam at the end of the 12 modules and have to get 80% to pass.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by ramminghard
    Took me two days doing it off and on at work including the exam. If it hasn't changed you write a 100 question exam at the end of the 12 modules and have to get 80% to pass.

It's still the same as of a year ago.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Do you guys keep the meat? I'd love some ground deer...
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

This is my first year for white tail. I'm strugling most for finding areas to go to. Other then crown land listed on http://www.ab-conservation.com/ any other tips on locations to go?

My Ride
    Wristshots

Winchester Model 12 12ga for upland and a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12ga for waterfowl. Would like to pick up an O/U or semi at some point soon.

Where do you go in Edmonton? I have a buddy who lives there but we usually meet around Red Deer to hunt.
    I haven't gone for bird since moving here, but there is a wetland I scoped out earlier this year, it's a half hour out of Edmonton.

The Wingmaster is a nice shotgun, but I can't stand pump actions!

I have a Browning Maxus Stalker I have used for hunting pheasant. This will be the gun I take hunting for waterfowl as well. I have found a few nice SxS shotguns located in Edmonton I would like to take a look at. Variety is the spice of life and it would make a much more appropriate upland bird gun. I always get funny looks when I show up with a semi-auto to hunt upland birds.

For big game I have a Sako A7 chambered in 30-06 topped with a VX3. I also own a 10/22 VLEH for plinking and taking out the occasional gopher. I am also looking to pick up a SKS for more plinking fun.
    Your big game rifle sounds heavy, Sako makes great stuff. I've a Simonov SKS at my place in Edmonton; a fun rifle but a bit lengthy to clean.

At some point I'd like a semi-automatic shotgun, but I love break actions... Gorgeous and effective.

A Beyond bird hunt sounds like a good idea, we can probably hit up a few of the lakes south of Calgary or go around Red Deer.

Elite, for decent places to go bird hunting, check out the Ducks Unlimited website.

My Ride
    2018 Ford F150 SCREW

Took 5 ducks this past weekend southeast of Red Deer. Anyone else been out yet?

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Took 5 ducks this past weekend southeast of Red Deer. Anyone else been out yet?

Should be getting out this weekend (Sunday) if all goes well. You don't happen to have a dog that is well trained do you?

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Going out this afternoon for grouse/partridge
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by legendboy
    Going out this afternoon for grouse/partridge

Where about? What do you hunt grouse/partridge with? .22 or .410?

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Where about? What do you hunt grouse/partridge with? .22 or .410?

i was going to bring my .410 but realized i only have a shoulder strap mounted to my 20g (i usualy only use .410 for target)

egmike brought his 1022 (and missed one)

we each got one, saw 4 total but lost the other 2. saw 2 snowshoe also but you have to be ready when you seem em

probably go again monday

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast