Quantcast
Is it possible to get a refund on duties? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Is it possible to get a refund on duties?

Default Is it possible to get a refund on duties?

Hey y'all,

I recently bought some goods from the states, and now I want to return one of the items. I paid a lot of duties on these items (UPS ), is there any way to re-coup the portion belonging to the item I want to return?

Also, as a side question, has anyone tried those 3rd party shipping companies in the U.S.? The deal is that these guys give you a U.S. mailing address (probably their warehouse), you ship your item from the US website to this U.S. address (most websites have free shipping within US + they only use UPS), the 3rd party gets it and post it to you with USPS for about half the cost of shipping the website would have charged you as a Canadian (+ don't forget duties you would have had to pay). Sounds too good to be true, what's the deal?
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

For anyone who is wondering, the answer is yes, you can actually get a refund on duties. You gotta fill out a couple of forms and need the receipt of how much duties you paid, which you can get from the shipping company using your tracking number.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Default Re: Is it possible to get a refund on duties?

Originally posted by arian_ma
    Hey y'all,

I recently bought some goods from the states, and now I want to return one of the items. I paid a lot of duties on these items (UPS ), is there any way to re-coup the portion belonging to the item I want to return?

Also, as a side question, has anyone tried those 3rd party shipping companies in the U.S.? The deal is that these guys give you a U.S. mailing address (probably their warehouse), you ship your item from the US website to this U.S. address (most websites have free shipping within US + they only use UPS), the 3rd party gets it and post it to you with USPS for about half the cost of shipping the website would have charged you as a Canadian (+ don't forget duties you would have had to pay). Sounds too good to be true, what's the deal?
    I don't think there is a catch, other than they tack on some percentage to the cost of shipping to make it worth their while. So if they can ship somethign to you for 100, they will just charge you $120 and ship it x bunch of customers, they make money.

^^ Thank you

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

my friend once imported a car from US and than it ended up being sold back to the US. he filled out a few forms to get his duties back. this was in 2005 . I am not sure what has changed