Quantcast
Windows Phone 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 17 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows Phone 8

My Ride
    Exploded.

Default Windows Phone 8

I think I'll be one of the few who are genuinely excited for the new update of the platform:

http://mashable.com/2012/09/05/nokia-lumia-event/

There's a Nokia event today and they're releasing new devices carrying the W8 platform:

http://mashable.com/2012/09/05/nokia-lumia-920/

I really want them to succeed because their OS is great.

BIG things:

- In-house wireless charging
    - Operating a touch screen with gloves on (Dare to dream on this one)

Thoughts?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Been a user of Win phone 7 for the last 6 month or so and I trully love the OS, and Win phone 8 is supposed to be leaps and bounds better, so I would definatelly go WinP8 when the time comes. My first smartphone was the iphone 3g which I used for 3 years, but once I switched to winp7, there was no going back. Everything in it just integrates so well with my life, and it does everything I need it to do. All the apps that I use are on it, so i could give 0 fucks about 2billion apps on the iphone, if i needed a fart app..i would just fart haha. The integration between things is pretty amazing in the phone if you use MSN, XBOX, skydrive, one note ect, and the build in functionality for linkedin, facebook ect is pretty awesome to keep all that crap in one area, vs having to have a separate app for everything.

Overall I am pleased with winp7, so winp8 could only be better. My wife was a Symbian user before but I switched her to Winp7 as well, and lets just say, she knows how to use it alot better and faster than her old device.

No hot spot was deal killer for me with wp7, does wp8 rectify this?

My Ride

Originally posted by WhippWhapp
    Winp7 has hotspot.....

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by WhippWhapp
    There are articles that confirms a Mango update CAN do hotspot but my Samsung Focus doesn't have this function and just updated it last week. Maybe it's blocked by Rogers?

If W7 can, I believe W8 will have this feature standard.

http://www.wpcentral.com/mango-offic...t-spot-feature

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-use-wi...-wi-fi-hotspot

EDIT: eblend, does yours work? I have 7.10.8773.98 and I don't have it...
    Last edited by flipstah; 09-05-2012 at 09:20 AM.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Why doesn't blackberry colab with Windows?
    Then we'd have the most kickass phone on the planet???

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by swak
    Why doesn't blackberry colab with Windows?
    Then we'd have the most kickass phone on the planet???
    I've been saying that ever since WP7 came out.

RIM should ditch their outdated OS for this. Nokia saw the light; they should too!

RIM + WP8 would be a killer business collaboration. RIM's enteprise market + seamless Microsoft Exchange/Outlook integration... DROOL WORTHY.

My Ride

Originally posted by flipstah

There are articles that confirms a Mango update CAN do hotspot but my Samsung Focus doesn't have this function and just updated it last week. Maybe it's blocked by Rogers?

If W7 can, I believe W8 will have this feature standard.

http://www.wpcentral.com/mango-offic...t-spot-feature

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-use-wi...-wi-fi-hotspot

EDIT: eblend, does yours work? I have 7.10.8773.98 and I don't have it...
    I have the exact same version of the OS, and I have it under settings. What device do you use? I am on a Nokia Lumia 710 and know for a fact that the Rogers version has this as well (my phone was originally rogers, flashed it with Mobilicity firmware not too long ago. I think it is up to the phone manufacturer to make that feature available

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by eblend

I have the exact same version of the OS, and I have it under settings. What device do you use? I am on a Nokia Lumia 710 and know for a fact that the Rogers version has this as well (my phone was originally rogers, flashed it with Mobilicity firmware not too long ago. I think it is up to the phone manufacturer to make that feature available
    I have a Samsung Focus (SGH-i917R) and that screen shot you posted is from a US-branded Focus... Interesting...

My Ride

I have a Samsung Focus (SGH-i917R) and that screen shot you posted is from a US-branded Focus... Interesting...
    See if there is a way to flash it with a non-rogers firmware. Do some digging, if the feature exists on another firmware, if you are able to flash the phone, than you too can have that feature. Just used it 2 min ago to connect my laptop to the interwebs just to very it actually works, as I haven't had a need for it yet

My Ride
    Exploded.

Thanks, eblend!

Back on topic!

The Lumia 920 packs a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processor and built-in wireless charging. Nokia called it “the largest battery ever installed on a Nokia phone.” It features a 2,000 mAh battery, 1GB RAM and 7 GB Skydrive memory.

Other features include Nokia Music, where users can stream unlimited music for free, and voice-guided navigation.

The display, which features WXGA resolution — better than 720p — can refresh 2.5 times faster than any other phones. The touchscreen even works when you’re wearing gloves.

The device comes in various colors, including yellow, slate gray and “lipstick red.”

Although details on pricing wasn’t announced, Nokia said the devices will launch in the fourth quarter.

The company also introduced “Nokia City Lens” and “Nokia Maps,” true offline maps with augmented reality. By pointing the Lumia 900 at a city block, the phone reveals virtual “signs” beside the storefronts, with business and location information.

Originally posted by eblend

Winp7 has hotspot.....

The first round of wp7 devices didn't support it.

Also changing the APN settings for MMS was needlessly difficult, these two issues probably turned many people away from the platform, and not to mention early supporters being left in the cold with wp8.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

I believe this is true of all plans 1gb or less.

My Ride

Originally posted by jwslam

I believe this is true of all plans 1gb or less.
    That's a tethering limitation, whereas he isn't even seeing the icon, which is a software limitation controlled by the manufacturer (and modified by Rogers). Rogers definatelly wouldn't have different firmware for different data plan users, so as of right now, it seems like Rogers modded the original firmware and removed the feature, as it seems to be available on other focus devices.

MMS is a touchy topic for sure, expecially on the Nokia's. Part of the reason I had to flash to Mobilicity firmware is because Nokia has pulled the "Network Setup" app from the marketplace. Initially I had this app and it worked wonderfully, detected which network the sim was for and automatically set all the correct settings, however, that app was involved in win7 hacking via an exploit (or so i understand) and was pulled from the market. When it was re-released sans the exploit, it never was released to Canada! It is stupid as hell. Every country has it except canada. You can get the app on your phone if you create an american live account, but its just stupid. Nokia doesn't want to give a clear reasoning for this.

For all other Win7 phones, the various manufacturers have apps to set network settings.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

This is pretty interesting. Back before they lost their relevance in the market, Nokia phones always had the best batteries, the longest life cycle and the least problems, in my experience anyways.

Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Audi

WP7.5 (Mango) supports wireless-hotspots. Some manufacturers have disabled it for specific devices (ie: Samsung Focus for Rogers). It can be enabled for Samsung devices - you have to jailbreak your phone (Windowsbreak) and apply the XAP that overrides the Samsung lock. IIRC, you needed INTEROP unlock to do this. However, the latest firmware update that came along with the Tango update relocked the phone and disabled it again. There's a write-up on XDA about this. I have a Samsung Focus (1st gen device) and I have the hotspot enabled.

Back on topic, WP8 - I'm looking forward to it however what I'm not happy about is my wife just got a Lumia 900:
    - WP8 will not install on WP7 devices
    - WP8 will have a different stream of apps that can't be supported on the legacy WP7 device.
    - The closest you're going to get on a legacy device is WP7.8 which will be the new start screen.

I'll be due for an upgrade in a few months, however I may not upgrade right away as I am pretty content with my Focus. When I upgrade, it will likely be to a WP8 device.

My Ride

Originally posted by hampstor
    WP7.5 (Mango) supports wireless-hotspots. Some manufacturers have disabled it for specific devices (ie: Samsung Focus for Rogers). It can be enabled for Samsung devices - you have to jailbreak your phone (Windowsbreak) and apply the XAP that overrides the Samsung lock. IIRC, you needed INTEROP unlock to do this. However, the latest firmware update that came along with the Tango update relocked the phone and disabled it again. There's a write-up on XDA about this. I have a Samsung Focus (1st gen device) and I have the hotspot enabled.

Back on topic, WP8 - I'm looking forward to it however what I'm not happy about is my wife just got a Lumia 900:
    - WP8 will not install on WP7 devices
    - WP8 will have a different stream of apps that can't be supported on the legacy WP7 device.
    - The closest you're going to get on a legacy device is WP7.8 which will be the new start screen.

I'll be due for an upgrade in a few months, however I may not upgrade right away as I am pretty content with my Focus. When I upgrade, it will likely be to a WP8 device.
    Yah this is a bummer with the W7 and W8 devices, but what Microsoft is unlike what Apple did when they moved to Intel...eventually the support for W7 devices will end completely, but by then it will be time to upgrade the phone anyways.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I'm satisfied with my Samsung Focus right now and I don't wanna jailbreak it just for a function that I rarely/never use.

As long as I can have TuneIn, it's a good day.

My Ride
    RDX

Does anyone know or use a Google Talk client on their phone? I'm interested in switching over from my BlackBerry

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by stardotstar
    Does anyone know or use a Google Talk client on their phone? I'm interested in switching over from my BlackBerry
    GTalk sucks on the Windows Phone. At least, when I used it at that time. Kept sending messages late, in the wrong order, or none at all.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 11 ... LastLast