Quantcast
Windows Phone 8 - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows Phone 8

I got a Nokia 900 a couple weeks ago, I couldn't wait out for the 920. It has been rock solid and battery life is a day and a bit mattering on what you have your email settings at.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by LOLzilla
    I got a Nokia 900 a couple weeks ago, I couldn't wait out for the 920. It has been rock solid and battery life is a day and a bit mattering on what you have your email settings at.

So I've had a chance to play with the 920 for several days now.

So far I've noticed this:
    Nokia City Lens, pretty cool!! The Nokia Drive Beta - similar to google maps - replaces a GPS in that it allows you to download the latest maps, if necessary, on the fly. It even beeps at you like a normal GPS when it detects you going over the speed limit. A feature that is supposedly available but I haven't tried, is the ability to see a panorama of city buildings from the inside.

Camera - I did some test shots with very low light and the shots came out very good compared to an iphone 4. The accompanying side button that allows you to turn on the camera by holding it for 3 seconds is a nice feature. Using mostly default settings, I've already noticed that the camera is more superior.

The games, not much to it. All the bigger titles like cut the rope or angry birds are all paid apps with the "Try before you buy option". Comparable to the App Store for iDevices. I don't play too many games but they do have several highly rating "re-creations". The few games I have downloaded have looked very nice on the screen. The colors are bright, even on "Medium", and the resolution is great.

The "People" tile: Incorporates all of your social media feeds into one place so you can check facebook timelines and view pictures / tweets all in one window.

Message tab incorporates all of your text messages as well as facebook chat, if enabled. Nice to have it all centralized. However, the emoticons in the default texting application are not universal so some people might receive them as boxes.

Battery life: To start, your charge the device using a micro-usb cable. Not some proprietary one from a vendor. I notice that it is slow to charge but my battery lasts well over a day. I was busy with downloading apps and what not most of the day yesterday and went to bed around 12 with 38% battery life.

Overall, the speed of the OS and the feel of the device is very nice. The live tiles do need about 30 minutes to "sync" so you might see old information in there if you're really paying attention to that. The screen has been pretty solid, even though I haven't purchased a screen protector for it yet, it has survived my pockets with keys so far. Having a hard time finding good cases for it. The audio on this is very nice too. I am currently listening to music on it using volume 1 out of 30 with in-ear noise cancelling buds and it's loud enough.
    Last edited by Kinjou; 11-19-2012 at 02:49 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Kinjou
    So I've had a chance to play with the 920 for several days now.

So far I've noticed this:
    Nokia City Lens, pretty cool!! The Nokia Drive Beta - similar to google maps - replaces a GPS in that it allows you to download the latest maps, if necessary, on the fly. It even beeps at you like a normal GPS when it detects you going over the speed limit. A feature that is supposedly available but I haven't tried, is the ability to see a panorama of city buildings from the inside.

Camera - I did some test shots with very low light and the shots came out very good compared to an iphone 4. The accompanying side button that allows you to turn on the camera by holding it for 3 seconds is a nice feature. Using mostly default settings, I've already noticed that the camera is more superior.

The games, not much to it. All the bigger titles like cut the rope or angry birds are all paid apps with the "Try before you buy option". Comparable to the App Store for iDevices. I don't play too many games but they do have several highly rating "re-creations". The few games I have downloaded have looked very nice on the screen. The colors are bright, even on "Medium", and the resolution is great.

The "People" tile: Incorporates all of your social media feeds into one place so you can check facebook timelines and view pictures / tweets all in one window.

Message tab incorporates all of your text messages as well as facebook chat, if enabled. Nice to have it all centralized. However, the emoticons in the default texting application are not universal so some people might receive them as boxes.

Battery life: To start, your charge the device using a micro-usb cable. Not some proprietary one from a vendor. I notice that it is slow to charge but my battery lasts well over a day. I was busy with downloading apps and what not most of the day yesterday and went to bed around 12 with 38% battery life.

Overall, the speed of the OS and the feel of the device is very nice. The live tiles do need about 30 minutes to "sync" so you might see old information in there if you're really paying attention to that. The screen has been pretty solid, even though I haven't purchased a screen protector for it yet, it has survived my pockets with keys so far. Having a hard time finding good cases for it. The audio on this is very nice too. I am currently listening to music on it using volume 1 out of 30 with in-ear noise cancelling buds and it's loud enough.
    Thanks for the impromptu review. As a Windows Phone 7 owner, I am quite estatic with what I'm reading here.

My Ride
    Edge

Originally posted by flipstah
    BUMP.

After reading about it over the weekend, I've decided to go with the Nokia Lumia 920. I can hopefully, pick it up tonight.

I chose the Nokia over the rest because:

- The HTC has a smaller screen and while tempting to get it because of that amplifier, if it's anything like the Beats product line, it's all hype. Granted, I haven't actually gone and tested it out but it's not enough for me to change my mind

- I was dead-set on the ATIV S because of the removable battery and expansion capability but at almost 5 inches, that is a too big of a phone. After seeing the review as well, the Super OMLED screen whatever-it's-called is on the cool hue side

- The Nokia's camera and City Lens are what sealed the deal for me. I am totally digging the augmented reality function and that low-light camera is the bomb.

Also, Nokia's were indestructible so I'm hoping the trend continues here (had Nokia candybar phones and they lasted for quite some time, even when I forgot I had it in my pocket at the West Ed wave pool )

Coming from a Samsung Focus, their products look good but I don't think they're dependable.

My battery is on the shits after a year or two of usage. The plastic back cover is crap too.

However, I am worried about new developments of bugs with the HTC and Nokia; random booting, crappy batt life... etc.
    You have stated pretty much my thoughts on the matter. I really, really like the idea of a user replaceable battery and expansion slot. However, I figure that the expansion slot is just me wanting more memory that I am unlikely to use. I have an iPod Touch and Cowon D2 that I use for music, so it's not like I would be putting much music on my phone. For that reason too, I don't need a whole lot of apps. If I could use it as a hotspot for my iPod then it wouldn't really matter anyway.

The user replaceable battery is more important but I'm just hoping that it would last until the 3-years is up.

I'm really leaning towards the Nokia for the same reasons. Plus I would like to have an idea of what Windows 8 is like and how it will integrate with a Windows (7) laptop/PC.

Having said all that, I still have no official or final word on what's happening with the company BB plan.

Thanks for the review Kinjou!

I do not want to derail this thread so I'm hoping this is just a quick question: If I need to get my own phone, does it matter whether I go through a Rogers store or a place like Future Shop or London Drugs? More knowledgeable staff or better service through a Rogers store?

My Ride
    Exploded.

I would go to the Rogers store or Best Buy Mobile.

Just got the Lumia today!

Right off the gate, here are the things I noticed:

+ Loving the new menu customization; able to cram so many apps on the main page without sacrificing scrolling time

+ Twitter app is better in WP8

+ Nokia resolution is darker but crisper colors

+ Great organization for apps (if you have photo-related apps, it's all available in the Photos section; same with Music+Video so that means less tile usage!)

- Camera is cooler in tone than the Samsung Focus

- No TuneIn Radio app; possibly to use Nokia's offering but found Internet Radio Tuner instead

Will continue with testing tomorrow and let you know what transpires!

My Ride
    Exploded.

OMG. I just discovered two of the greatest things WP8 has to offer:

- Hotspot is available on default (NBD but it's cool)
    - NO MORE ZUNE! You use a Windows Phone app but it's drag and drop!

iTunes sync too

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

I would go to the Rogers store or Best Buy Mobile.

Just got the Lumia today!

Right off the gate, here are the things I noticed:

+ Loving the new menu customization; able to cram so many apps on the main page without sacrificing scrolling time

+ Twitter app is better in WP8

+ Nokia resolution is darker but crisper colors

+ Great organization for apps (if you have photo-related apps, it's all available in the Photos section; same with Music+Video so that means less tile usage!)

- Camera is cooler in tone than the Samsung Focus

- No TuneIn Radio app; possibly to use Nokia's offering but found Internet Radio Tuner instead

Will continue with testing tomorrow and let you know what transpires!
    Trying to pick up a 920 but no one will sell it off contract.. even though I have heard of people buying them.. GRR

May end up getting the 8X from Bell.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by ZEDGE

Trying to pick up a 920 but no one will sell it off contract.. even though I have heard of people buying them.. GRR

Yeah, had to resign 3 years. Eh, whatever. I'll be Rogers for life anyways. 10+ years and going.

Let us know how the 8X with the Beats amp goes. The Nokia has their own amp from Dolby or has Dolby Surround... Not tested it yet.

Originally posted by Kinjou

Battery life: To start, your charge the device using a micro-usb cable. Not some proprietary one from a vendor. I notice that it is slow to charge but my battery lasts well over a day.
    doesn't it come with a wireless charging pad in the box?

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by BMW Power

doesn't it come with a wireless charging pad in the box?
    If it did, I'm missing mine. Like all gimmick features, I think it has to be bought separately.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

I had to battle to get my 900 off contract... Best buy was the only place that would sell off contract...

I don't think Microsoft Nokia would be happy that some vendors are refusing sales!
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    Edge

OMG. I just discovered two of the greatest things WP8 has to offer:

- Hotspot is available on default (NBD but it's cool)
    - NO MORE ZUNE! You use a Windows Phone app but it's drag and drop!

iTunes sync too
    Very good to know. Keep it coming.

In case anyone is looking for a screen protector: Zagg

My Ride
    Audi

Thanks for the reviews flipstah... I'm still pretty pissed regarding the exclusivity and lack of colours of the 920. I'm going to pick an unlocked cyan from the US once they are available. I was leaning towards the 8x, however the camera on the 920, nokia drive,and it being a 32gb device are the differentiators between the 2 for me.

Originally posted by duaner

Out of curiosity - why would you need a screen protector for the Lumia 920?

Edit: my bad, just realized that the screen torture test video I saw wasn't posted here. It's a screen torture test where the guy hit it with a rubber mallet, scratched at it with keys, sliced at it with a knife, and stabbed it a knife.

http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-lumia-9...es-its-mettle/

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Originally posted by Zhariak

I had to battle to get my 900 off contract... Best buy was the only place that would sell off contract...

I don't think Microsoft Nokia would be happy that some vendors are refusing sales!
    Which one?

I tried Best Buy Mobile at Chinook and Sunridge, they refused.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by duaner

For the first time, I didn't buy one because I have that much faith in GorillaGlass2.

Some more things:

- It still has the same volume for ringtone AND music; if you have earbuds on and have it halfway, expect the ringtones to be halfway so you can't hear shit.

- Even though it's drag-and-drop, I couldn't get the playlist to appear in the Music hub. Will do more research on it

- LTE is spotty but fast. Then again, I said the same thing with 3G and 3G+ when they first came out. When everone is on LTE, it'll be shit.

I'll be testing out City Lens at lunch to see what it can do.

Just learnt it can do screen capture and multiple attachment selection(missing in WP7):

It was the little things that were missing in WP7 that stopped it from getting traction. I'm really hoping for WP8 success!

My Ride
    Exploded.

I cranked everything on (GPS, location, the whole shebang) and streamed internet radio from 7AM and battery life is at 25% at this moment.

City Lens would be useful if you're traveling elsewhere and had internet access there:

Will stop by Stephen Ave. and see what it does but you get the gist of it.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Which one?

I tried Best Buy Mobile at Chinook and Sunridge, they refused.
    Back when I was getting my 900, I kept buying and returning them because they all had the purple hue issues.

I bought from atleast 3-4 stores, all would sell them. Futureshop told me to take a hike.

I went to from what I can remember:
    -Deer foot meadows Best Buy
    -Signal Hill
    and some others?
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 03:00 AM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

If I discover neat things, I'll definitely post it.

For those unfamiliar with the Windows Phone 8, it's all about social network integration; seamless sync with Facebook, Twitter, and your contacts.

If your contact has Facebook and/or Twitter, it can sync altogether (some you have to manual link if the contact is saved differently in naming convention).

It is the ultimate creeper phone lol. You want to know who wrote on your friend's wall? Just go to their contact on the People hub! Latest tweet? Same deal.

CREEPY.

More in-depth review of the Lumia:

Addresses quirks I hate and more things I have yet to to play around with.

One thing I'm noticing right now is if I drag/drop music, Windows Explorer is crashing. Not sure if it's my computer or not but currently thinking of workaround.
    Last edited by flipstah; 11-20-2012 at 11:01 PM.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast