Quantcast
Windows Phone 8 - Page 17 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17

Thread: Windows Phone 8

My Ride
    Exploded.

I still have my Nokia 735 and I can't see myself switching to Android. I fucking hate iTunes.

My Ride
    Audi

old bump - not sure if anyone is using windows mobile 10, but HERE maps is being pulled on March 29th. They won't be developing it for Windows 10 anymore.

http://www.windowscentral.com/here-a...after-march-29

Personally I think that's about it for me. Without HERE maps on their latest platform, Cortana isn't enough to keep me around.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Originally posted by hampstor
    old bump - not sure if anyone is using windows mobile 10, but HERE maps is being pulled on March 29th. They won't be developing it for Windows 10 anymore.

http://www.windowscentral.com/here-a...after-march-29

Personally I think that's about it for me. Without HERE maps on their latest platform, Cortana isn't enough to keep me around.
    Have you given Microsoft Maps a try? A lot of the legacy Lumia apps have been replaced by enhanced MS counterparts...

I actually prefer the MS Maps over Here...

I love the direction that this is going. I've had a Lumia 950 XL Dual SIM since launch and absolutely love it!

Continuum is some bad ass shit!

Continuum:
    http://www.stephenwagner.com/?p=957

My First Impressions:
    http://www.stephenwagner.com/?p=930
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    Audi

Originally posted by Zhariak

Have you given Microsoft Maps a try? A lot of the legacy Lumia apps have been replaced by enhanced MS counterparts...

I actually prefer the MS Maps over Here...

I love the direction that this is going. I've had a Lumia 950 XL Dual SIM since launch and absolutely love it!

Continuum is some bad ass shit!

Continuum:
    http://www.stephenwagner.com/?p=957

My First Impressions:
    http://www.stephenwagner.com/?p=930
    I actually haven't tried Microsoft/Bing Maps in a while on my phone to be honest - last time I tried it I found it struggled with how it connected with my vehicle (v. here maps).

My list of issues i've been dealing with since moving to WP10 has been slowly growing...

- Music app crashes randomly when skipping (common problem)
    - Cortana unable to start the music app after the above, requiring me to unlock my phone and manually go in (common problem)
    - Camera app crashes when switching to video (25% of the time)
    - Cortana intermitently takes abnormally long to acknowledge voice commands (upto 30s)
    - Abnormally high number of app crashes (i'm on the slow ring - but still quite surprised by this. Even with some of the core apps)

Things I prefer on it:
    - Cortana in the vehicle (which is avail on android)
    - Outlook Mail
    - Outlook Calendar

This move by here maps doesn't help. Symbolically, it's even more frustrating because it was originally designed by Nokia for WP.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Just curious, what phone are you rocking?

The W10 experience is quite different on phones that ship with it, vs older phones on the Insider release flights.

The experience should get a lot better soon closer to official W10 release for older devices when they update the firmware to match the OS.
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    Audi

Originally posted by Zhariak
    Just curious, what phone are you rocking?

The W10 experience is quite different on phones that ship with it, vs older phones on the Insider release flights.

The experience should get a lot better soon closer to official W10 release for older devices when they update the firmware to match the OS.
    I'm currently using a Lumia 830.

To be clear - my gripes with WM10 are not in itself enough for me to throw in the towel.

It's watching Microsoft fumble around with a mobility strategy which consisted of: trying to be their traditional software manufacturer role (WM6/WP7), trying to be Apple (acquisition of Nokia), trying to be like Google (online services on mobility focus), realizing their strength was a unified ecosystem (WM10), only deployed on new mobile devices months after the release of the flagship of the new unified system (Windows 10), and now over 9 months for their existing mobile customers. Plus, none of their flagship devices are available at any of the carriers in Canada anymore - wtf is up with that??

It's their mobile system being an afterthought that's becoming glaringly apparent. Especially when one of their key developers goes 'fuck it'.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Originally posted by hampstor
    Plus, none of their flagship devices are available at any of the carriers in Canada anymore - wtf is up with that??
    I'd rather they have them all unlocked so you can use them with whatever company you want, if I had to pick one way or the other.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    944 535xi F250

I have unlocked 950XL dual SIM from Chinook MS store, had Rogers until they fiddled with my plan and tried to bill me $50 for.07MB data overage. Switched to Wind and hour later. I have pay as you go SIMs for US & UK travel. Its neat to make "local" calls and international messages on one device. The constant OS fast ring builds can be trying. I will miss Here Drive but Maps is coming along and Waze is a fallback. The Cortana voice to text dictation is mind blowing.... saw it backspace out dino and fill in dyno when I was messaging some tuning numbers. Sending SMS from desktop via phone let's me cut and paste from emails. I guess I kinda like it.
    Showing off Continuum to the 99% who have never seen a non Apple or Android phone is great. "Is that REALLY your phone doing that?!"

Marc
    Last edited by Alpine Autowerks; 03-30-2016 at 10:29 PM.
    ninja trainers motto

always be able to kill your students

My Ride
    This and that.

What's a good Microsoft phone to try right now? Nothing over the top but something that does everything the flagship does? I picked up a Surface 3 recently, does having that make any difference or assist the two devices?

My Ride
    944 535xi F250

650 Dual sim is $199. it will do almost everything but Continuum (internal hardware requirement)

It will work well with the Surface - sharing; files, passwords wifi logins, colour themes etc.
    ninja trainers motto

always be able to kill your students

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17