Quantcast
Review MSTR Commander - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Review MSTR Commander

Default Review MSTR Commander

It's about time, yeah, yeah, yeah.

The outer box is nothing special, the inner box fit quite snugly. The inner box though is quite nice, with a soft faux-cf look to it. My outer box was different from flipstah's Chief in that the front didn't fold down to provide easy access to the inner box. Not really an issue to just turn it upside down to plop it out.

Opening up in the inner box and the watch was placed around a cheapie cushion. Notice the threads sticking out in the pack of the pick. But it's just there to hold the watch in place, which is did nicely. No problems closing the box either.

The watch is big, especially with the destro crown. But it looks bigger than it wears. Or I'm just used to larger watches now. The polished sections were very clean. The crown protector and the MEISTER badge on the other side have a brushed finish. One thing I noticed was that there are some sharper edges from machining that could be uncomfortable. The crown protector is just for show as it doesn't lock down the crown and has a simple mechanism to click into place. In fact, I could wiggle the crown out far enough to set the watch with the protector in place.

This is my first watch with a cf dial and I have to say I like it. Adds a depth to the face and changes depending on the angle you look at it. One thing that I'm not crazy about is the font. There's something about it that I just don't like and it's something that would stop me from chosing this watch if I were in the market. I didn't realize how much I use my watches for the date and I found myself missing the date window.

Side by side with my lum-tec m25 (44mm) the size difference isn't as stark. The crown adds significant width, but having it on the left side makes it more comfortable to wear on the left hand. No digging into the back of my hand. It is also a thicker watch and I think the proportions work well. Which leads to my next complaint: The strap was really disappointing. Certainly too thin and too narrow for such a large watch. On the plus side, it was comfortable to wear.

I wore the watch for the week after I received it. I didn't think it wore that much larger than the lum-tec and wasn't really much of a conversation piece, except for the day that I unboxed it at work. I did receive compliments on it.

Overall, the fit and finish is quite nice, the design certainly stands out, it's comfortable to wear and is a nice addition to my collection. It's a worthy competitor in the < $1000 fashion watch segment with Nixon and Vestal, Diesel, etc.

On the other hand, it's in a market segment that I would no longer look at for a watch. I would rather save up/spend a bit more and go for a mechanical movement in the $1000 range. I find it hard to spend > $200 for a quartz fashion watch now.

But as a prize for a bit of lyrical rework, I can't complain at all.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

Yeah, ~$500 is what I'd consider to be my very upper limits of where I would consider quartz for a watch with $200~$300 being the comfortable range. You can properly get a decent enough quartz chronograph in that price range.

That carbon fibre dial and strap do look darn spiffy. I don't think the crown being on the wrong side would bother me too much. For a fashion watch, I would have preferred a dial with applied indices to up the bling factor.

Does that thing have lume?
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

it does have lume, but I didn't really test it out. It wasn't anything special from what I can remember.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    Exploded.

I think it's weird how the dial font looks like Comic Sans.

Good review though. FINALLY.

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

Originally posted by lint
    it does have lume, but I didn't really test it out. It wasn't anything special from what I can remember.
    Must look pretty cool in the dark. I'm guessing that the numbers actually show up?

I've yet to own a watch baller enough where the lume actually says something instead of just being a dot, line or triangle.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

My Ride
    changes every year

A review?!?! Good one. Ill say that I like the strap, I hate the industrial crown cover and the faux CF look on the dial.(Unsure if that's what they were going for). Good review though.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The CF on the dial actually looks quite good in person. You can't really see it in pics, unless it's taken in 3D. It's got solid depth to it.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    changes every year

Originally posted by rage2
    The CF on the dial actually looks quite good in person. You can't really see it in pics, unless it's taken in 3D. It's got solid depth to it.

is it real cf?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Not sure. It's got a different weave pattern than automotive CF. Even Hublots, which for sure is real CF, has a different weave pattern. So ya, don't know the answer.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name