Quantcast
Auto Insurance Question - Buying Used Vehicle - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Auto Insurance Question - Buying Used Vehicle

My Ride
    E46 M3

Default Auto Insurance Question - Buying Used Vehicle

Hey all,

I have a question regarding buying a used vehicle, specifically some insurance type questions.

This is my first time buying a used car that will be under my name. I plan on getting my own insurance policy, my current insurance is currently under my parent's.

If the bill of sale has my name on it for the vehicle, is it legal for me to use one of the license plates from one of our family vehicles (that is under my parent's name) to drive it around under the 14 day grace period?
    Or would I have to wait until I get my own insurance/license plate to legally drive it around since the vehicle would be under my name?

Thank you in advance, I hope I am clear?
    Any clarifications that are needed, please ask.

The grace period is for the registration only, you will still need insurance first before you can drive it. I don't think you are supposed to drive with a plate on in the grace period, just drive it without a plate but carry the bill of sale along in case you get pulled over.

My Ride
    Sentra spec5-T

Pay for the car get the signed bill of sale then get insurance then get it registered, then drive it home. Save yourself a lot of hassle this way and you have nothing to worry about on the drive home in your new to you car.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I usually get the insurance BEFORE I deliver final payment for the car. I like to have my pink card with me and then drive the car away instantly after I pay for it.

If you don't end up buying the car for some reason, most insurance companies will not charge you for that few days of coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    E46

I am in a similar situation.
    Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by Little Dragon; 09-08-2012 at 09:47 AM.

TL

My Ride
    E46 M3

So to clarify. Even though I am under my parents insurance currently, it isn't legal to drive it home since the new car will be under my name? I still can't use a family vehicle's license plate and will have to wait until I get my own insurance policy in place.

My Ride
    06' Nissan 350z

A friend of mine got busted for not having insurance right after he had purchased his car. He bought it, drove it for about 5 mins, then got pulled over. Got dinged for speeding (which the cop couldn't prove), failure to provide insurance, and registration. Car got impounded for the night.

When I got my cars, i got them insured and registered under my name before i picked them up.

As for buying the car of your parents, it doesnt matter if you have the same last name. I would recommend getting new plates anyways. Thats what I did when i bought my dads 350z off him.

My Ride
    2GR-FE Hethel, 14W246, 13W251, 06NC, 02Aerio

You can't use another person's plate + you technically have no insurance under your own.
    Get your own insurance first for your situation.
    Insurance Pro

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by The BMW Guy
    So to clarify. Even though I am under my parents insurance currently, it isn't legal to drive it home since the new car will be under my name? I still can't use a family vehicle's license plate and will have to wait until I get my own insurance policy in place.
    You need insurance on that car, either on your parents policy or on your own, BEFORE you drive it a single inch.

If you don't have a pink card with that VIN number on it, you are breaking the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    06' Nissan 350z

+ to save the hassle, get it all done once, before you drive away

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

You are not allowed to swap a plate from a currently active car onto another car. PERIOD. The only time that this is allowed is when you own car "X", and decide to sell it. It sells, and you then buy car "Y". At that point, you now have the 14 day grace period to swap the registration for the plate from car X to car Y. If you still own car X while you swap the plate from car X to car Y, that is illegal.

Insurance is a whole other story. You ALWAYS, with NO EXCEPTIONS, must have it's own insurance. When I have gone to buy a vehicle, I have my insurance companies number in my phone, and when I buy the car, I just give them a quick call, and they email me a pink slip. If I purchase the car on the weekend, I call them on Friday, and let them know I will be buying a car over the weekend, and they put coverage for me over the weekend, with no hassle, and usually email me a letter stating that the vehicle I bought is insured. I then would call them Monday morning with the VIN and details, and they email me my slips.

Most insurance companies are able to take calls on at least saturday, so even the above isn't difficult anymore for a purchase on the weekend.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    2012 porsche 911, 2008 Saturn Astra,

You can buy the insurance first. You just need the vin# and the a good insurance agent can get you a temporary pink card via email. The you can register the car. If it needs an inspection you will have 30 days to provide the motor vehicle report to the insurance company. This way you will not get pulled over by the police without having insurance.

I was helped by my insurance guy when buying my car. I had no idea I could get insurance before I got the car, he saved me al ot of time and money. He slashed almost $1000 a year from what I was paying at TD.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info