Quantcast
Your income to car ratio - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Your income to car ratio

Default Your income to car ratio

Just wondering what people here spend on a car relative to their incomes. There are of course lots of things to consider and many different preferences and situations. There's people who are willing to take out a huge line of credit to get the nicest car possible and the high earners content to drive around in their 94 corolla. But I think as a general rule of thumb the amount of a car purchase should be no more than half of their gross annual income. Thoughts?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I'd say that sounds about right - but like you said, it all depends on your situation.

I personally don't put any vehicles on credit at all anymore. I've bought and sold some 40 vehicles, and over that time I built up enough equity and profit to own my vehicle outright. But then, I *hate* having debt and I think others would be more open to it.

In my case, my current vehicle cost me about 30% of my annual income - but before that, I had 3 sports cars totalling about 70% of my annual income... but again, they were paid outright which makes a huge difference when you're not paying interest....

Originally posted by Kloubek
    I'd say that sounds about right - but like you said, it all depends on your situation.

I personally don't put any vehicles on credit at all anymore. I've bought and sold some 40 vehicles, and over that time I built up enough equity and profit to own my vehicle outright. But then, I *hate* having debt and I think others would be more open to it.

In my case, my current vehicle cost me about 30% of my annual income - but before that, I had 3 sports cars totalling about 70% of my annual income... but again, they were paid outright which makes a huge difference when you're not paying interest....
    Depends on the situation. Many makers are offering 2% or less for financing. Id rather pay a car monthly and use my equity or cash to put down on a higher debt such as a mortgage then pay off a car.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Your income to car ratio

Originally posted by Manhattan
    Just wondering what people here spend on a car relative to their incomes. There are of course lots of things to consider and many different preferences and situations.
    Well, we have a paid off '03 Audi Allroad, a '12 Civic on a lease ($185/month, so about $4500 owing on it until return), and a '72 GTO that we are restoring and has $XXg owing on a LOC for it.

So including the lease and GTO balances, our ratio is about 26% of income. If you include the buyout on the Civic (which is likely to happen), and the estimated cost to finish the GTO, it's more like 42%.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I'm just slightly over 50% right now but next time I think I will look closer to 35% unless my girlfriends starts making a lot more.

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

When I bought my first new car in 2007 my ratio was 0.65 which was ok because I was still living at home.

Our latest purchase, our ratio is 0.2 but there is a lot of things tempting me right now... must hold out.

I'm sorry, I'm not understanding how you're using the term equity here. Equity as in you're leveraging your car (depreciating asset) against your home? That's still putting you into more debt...?

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    I'm just slightly over 50% right now but next time I think I will look closer to 35% unless my girlfriends starts making a lot more.
    Wow pimp. Girlfriends to help pay for your car.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by l/l/rX

I'm sorry, I'm not understanding how you're using the term equity here. Equity as in you're leveraging your car (depreciating asset) against your home? That's still putting you into more debt...?
    Pretty sure he meant he just saved up enough money through flipping cars to buy his current one outright.
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

My cars are all paid off, so 10% of my net income goes into a 'turbo fund'.

My Ride
    ////M

0% since I own both outright. Starting to look at trucks though, so that could change. If/when I buy a new vehicle, I would keep the payments to less than 5% of our gross income though.
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Spent ~30% gross income on my vehicle. Didn't want to spend that much on a personal + work vehicle but got a deal I couldn't pass up. Spent more as well on the hope it would be the vehicle I keep until it dies. Given my turnover of vehicles, this one is looking pretty darn good and more than likely will be driven into the ground.
    Last edited by msommers; 09-10-2012 at 11:15 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

I've bought and sold some 40 vehicles, and over that time I built up enough equity and profit to own my vehicle outright.
    Wanted to do this but after considering the time and effort in selling and buying the few cars I've had in the past it wasn't worth it for me. Not as easy as I thought it would be flipping a car for profit. I also don't have the garage space to keep extra cars for sale.

Originally posted by Euro_Trash
    0% since I own both outright. Starting to look at trucks though, so that could change. If/when I buy a new vehicle, I would keep the payments to less than 5% of our gross income though.
    The ratio is the price of car at purchase as a percentage of your gross income at the time regardless if you're making payments or paying with cash.

My Ride
    ////M

Ah gotcha. The price range I am looking at is 18-20% then
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

Matt spends 30% of his income on his vehicle and another 15% of his income on his wife's vehicle. Matt's wife spends 20% of her income on her vehicle.

Why did Matt get married?

We got a 95 integra and a 99 camry between my wife and I, so we are sitting at about 4% of our income. The house on the other side...

I'm at around 12% now but I used to be at like 75% (with a worse job then too) .

As much as I love cars, the extra $700/mo has let me do more things that I enjoy given that I only drive about 3000-5000 KM/year, a nice car sitting in my parkade depreciating isn't a wise investment at this stage of my life.

My Ride
    DA6, R59

the combination of my annual bike and car payments work out to 8.5% of my gross income. I don't think I will ever want exceed 10% again... The over all total is 23.5%

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

0.75%, 7.5% if you include the GF's car.

Ballerrrrrrr.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast