Quantcast
Buying a Car off Ebay? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Car off Ebay?

My Ride
    01 Integra SE / 07 Lexus GS 450H

Default Buying a Car off Ebay?

Has anyone ever purchased a car off ebay? If so did you have to go through certain stuff like mechanics reports done or anything like that?

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

I've been thinking about it, but i think it's too risky and it would probably be too expensive anyways (if it's from the states). But if i were to buy any car of ebay i would do a Carfax report on it first.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

My brother in law bought a caprice on ebay - met the guy at the border by Van then drove it back across the border. Had to pay duty and then get an out of province inspection (had to add DRL, and a few other minor things). Came out to a great deal especially with the dollar the way it is. Mind you, you have to get to where you can meet the guy and be able to drive it back unless you really want to blow cash.

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride

Yea thats ture

My Ride
    2001 Grand am

yea, i wouldn't bother the out of provance inspection would kill you, they have changed the rules recently and its very hard to get have it pass.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by t3rry
    yea, i wouldn't bother the out of provance inspection would kill you, they have changed the rules recently and its very hard to get have it pass.
    That is true. They make you get a four wheel alignment whether you need it or not, DRL, child restraints, and a bunch of nitpickey shit.

My Ride
    2001 Grand am

also i would never buy a vehicle without physically looking at it first, and an ebay bid is a contract to buy

My Ride
    1998 Impreza 2.5RS

I bought my car off of canadatrader.com.... that count?

My Ride

Was the guy located in calgary?

My Ride
    Corvette

Originally posted by awddrifter
    I bought my car off of canadatrader.com.... that count?
    Was it a local buy though, where you physically went to see the car first?

My Ride
    2001 Grand am

yeam canada trader is diffrent because you can go look at the car and not be obligated to buy it, on ebay your bid is a contract to buy (so if you do but a car from ebay its fine just make sure you its local so you can go look at it before you bid)

i would never spend that much money for something I cannot verify the quality of... to risky IMO

My Ride
    2001 Grand am

Originally posted by xkon
    i would never spend that much money for something I cannot verify the quality of... to risky IMO

My Ride
    1998 Impreza 2.5RS

Originally posted by Dj_Stylz
    Was the guy located in calgary?
    No, the car was located in Kelowna. I flew over there and checked it out for a bit (took it to a mechanic in Kelowna to get the frame inspected as well), bought it, and then did the 8 hour drive home.

I'm quite happy, since I got it for quite cheap as compared to the price of other impreza's selling for more but same vehicle condition in Calgary
    Last edited by awddrifter; 02-22-2004 at 06:04 PM.

I bought a SUV on ebay and got RIPPED OFF. But it was a good learning experience, not that you would want to learn the way I did. Long story short, it had tranny problems when I took delivery, they had to "fix" it, it worked for a few months, problem returned, I was screwed. I sold it to someone else with disclosure of the problem and took a loss.

I might buy a car off ebay again, provided I could drive it myself BEFORE bidding on it, and assuming I would be taking it to a mechanic before bidding as well. The seller who sold me the SUV was a wholsaler who bought vehicles the dealership could not sell or did not want. Worst kind of seller.

Incidentally, I bought an SUV to replace that one from an online ad at cars.com or yahoo.com, can't remember which, but I went and drove the thing before making an offer, I bought it and have had it for nearly 8 months, no disappointments at all.

I think my mistake had little to do with ebay and everything to do with buying sight unseen and not buying from a reputable entity. Wherever you buy from, drive it first, let a mechanic look at it, and consider who the seller is, if you get bad vibes from the seller, even if the car appears to be good, RUN AWAY! There are plenty of other vehicles to buy.

BTW, ebay has an insurance plan if the car is under a certain mileage. Also, you can pay for ebay to hire a mechanic/inspector to drive and inspect the car before you bid, that would be wise, I did not even know about that when I bought.

The other mistake I made was the ebay seller already had some significant negative feedback, which I ignored as emotion overruled logic. Buying a car can be very exciting. But it can be a nightmare if you let emotion make bad decisions like I did. Everyone considering buying cars online or on ebay, learn from my mistakes PLEASE.
    Chris

My Ride
    Highlander

an ebay bid is a contract to buy, as with everything, make sure you know what you are buying before you sign the contract
    You've said that 3 times already

Im going through the motions as we speak.
    Converting currency through XE.com
    Setting up shipping through Searail or AA auto
    Figuring out duty and tax
    My only challenge so far is the daytime running lights, I will need to get those installed
    Shipping, Duty and Tax OUCH $$$$$$$$ Not Cheap!!!

There's only two things that smell like <º))))>< ...one of them is <º))))><

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

on ebay your bid is a contract to buy

Originally posted by Melinda

You've said that 3 times already
    everything youve said on, besides your first post, hasnt contributed much....u've been on beyond for 20 days, and have over 500 posts...28 posts per day, and you dont always contribute, or after you do, you carry pointless stuff out...sorry for the rant..

Dj, i'd wanna look at something before i bought it, so if you are thinking of buying off ebay, just see if its from calgary, or know someone who lives there to go take a look at it for you, especially if its not a cheap car,

My Ride
    2001 Grand am

Originally posted by ryder_23

everything youve said on, besides your first post, hasnt contributed much....u've been on beyond for 20 days, and have over 500 posts...28 posts per day, and you dont always contribute, or after you do, you carry pointless stuff out...sorry for the rant..

Dj, i'd wanna look at something before i bought it, so if you are thinking of buying off ebay, just see if its from calgary, or know someone who lives there to go take a look at it for you, especially if its not a cheap car,
    lets cry about it

My Ride
    99 EK9 Hatch

lets cry about it
    cry about what... the fact your pissing everyone on this forum off with your pointless post whoring... 28 posts a day is unhealthy man... go outside...

Photograph courtesy of the Calgary Police Service

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast