Quantcast
Evo X or alternative? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Evo X or alternative?

My Ride
    GR STI Hatch

Default Evo X or alternative?

Hi all. I'm looking to sell my current car for something else, and I've got a little money to spend. I've seen that Mitsubishi has a deal going on with 0% financing for 3 years, which seems decent. I'm mainly looking at buying a new Evo X GSR through Platinum Mitsu, I got my current car from them, so I can probably try to haggle some sort of deal.

Other cars I've looked at are the Impreza STI (hatchback), and I looked at used BMW 335i's.

Just looking for some suggestions/feedback here, if anyone owns one of these cars and can provide their own experience with them.

I like the Evo X mainly for these reasons:
    - good looks
    - has room for 4 people
    - has room to go skiing/snowboarding
    - 4WD for the winter
    - turbo could be nice?
    - maintenance shouldn't be too expensive?
    - seems like a fun car
    - stick tranny

This would be my main car that I use for daily commute. I also go skiing and mountain biking often so I need room to put that stuff in the trunk. Also, whatever I finally decide on needs to have manual transmission (stick).

Lastly, if anyone does have an EVO X, I'm looking for advice regarding the packages. It has a handling package, stereo or navigation package, strut bar. What accessories are recommended/must have? Is the navigation system any good at all? I've got a separate Garmin that works great, and an Ipod Touch, so I'd probably want to just plug in the Ipod to the audio system.
    Last edited by MustangSVT; 09-11-2012 at 09:32 AM.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I owned a 2008 EVO X MR for a couple of years so I am fairly informed;

- good looks (I agree although looks are subjective)

- has room for 4 people (yep there's actually decent rear seat room for the class)

- has room to go skiing/snowboarding (don't get to excited as you may know the battery and windshield washer fluid reservoir takes up some of the trunk room. This was done to keep weight as close as a 50/50 split as possible)

- 4WD for the winter (paired with winter tires, set the ACD in SNOW and you will be virtually unstoppable. A few years ago there was a December Friday night snow/ice storm that crippled the NW. I was the only car that I could see make it up Shaganappi Trail incline on Nosehill and Edgemont. Everyone else was sliding sideways.)

- turbo could be nice? (it's nice but thirsty on premium grade gasoline.)

- maintenance shouldn't be too expensive? (Since we are talking GSR regular maintenance shouldn't be too bad but oil changes have to be synthetic for warranty and stuff like Brembo brakes are expensive to service and change pads compared to normal cars. The reality is that it's going to cost more to operate than a Civic because it has a big turbo and a sophisticated AWD system.)

- seems like a fun car (very fun car. Performance/handling-wise there's nothing like it in the price range.)

- stick tranny (only 5 speed though which can make for some drone on long highway trips)

I had no real issues with my car and some days I think about getting another ha ha.

My Ride
    GR STI Hatch

Thanks for the advice! It's great to hear you enjoyed the car.
    Life is too short to be angry. Eat some cake, go for a ride, be happy.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I like the Evo, but I had three major qualms with them when I looked at them, only 5 speed was the biggest, then the windshield washer/battery location/trunk space issue, and finally just the general fit and finish didn't feel that great, my money would have went to the STi but after considering that I ended up with a BMW.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

HeavyD covered the Evo pretty well. Just thought I'd add that there are many options that don't require you to use your trunk space for skis and bikes. Hitch kit for bikes or Thule(-style) roof rack system for both.

Additionally, ast time I checked, Mitsubishi had a pretty sick warranty.

Not on your radar but what about an Audi A4 Quattro?
    Ultracrepidarian

heavyD: What are you running for winter tires?

My Ride
    2013 4Runner

Hard to go wrong with an EVO, but like Twin_Cam said, a drawback to me would be the 5 speed, you get less mileage than a 6 speed STi. And it seems like you want a decent amount of trunk space so a STi hatch would give you that. Good luck!

My Ride
    has a stick axle

OP you can't compare an EVO/STI to a 335. I own a 2007 STI and love it for what it is, but often I wish it had more creature comforts. I suggest you think long and hard about what is more important to you before buying a vehicle if you are cross shopping the EVO/STI vs a 335. In the end if I had the funds to purchase a 335 I think I would have done it.

My Ride
    Evo, civic

HeavyD covered it pretty good.
    -The interior on the evo is nothing to be proud of but if you get the navi IMO it would be better than the STI's. Cant compare to a BMW tho.

-Maintenance is not that bad, most of the money is gonna go into tires. The trunk like already mentioned, is not that good but after taking the spare tire out it isnt as bad. The STI's have also the ringland issue on stock or modded ones so that was a huge factor why I didnt get one.

-The 5 speed is good for the city but it gets a little loud in the highway especially if you have a catback. I dont care about the gas mileage either.

-Traction in the winter is like if you were driving in the middle of the summer.

-The back seats are awesome!

-The handeling package is really good IMO and its the only thing I regret not buying. Just the BBS wheels that come with it are about $2800, then you add the spoiler and 2piece rotors..

-Pretty fun car with tons of aftermarket parts and super easy to make power.

-Like said above, Cant really compare a BMW to the EVO/STI. 2 totally different types of cars. Test drive them all to get a better idea.

-The STI might be a better DD since your have an actual trunk or hatch and a 6 speed if you do highway!
    Last edited by georgemagana; 09-12-2012 at 11:05 AM.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Originally posted by KRyn
    long and hard
    hehehehe.

But seriously, what are you using the car for? Daily? Toy? Ski-mobile?

If you don't mind going off the beaten path a little, check out some Vovlo's as well. The 2.5 T5 is a great little engine, and you can find the cars in a 6 speed awd package. My roommate owns a s40 t5 and it's a nice little car. Headroom in the rear seat is a little lacking though.

Don't forget about the mazdaspeed lineup, the speed6 is 6psd awd as well, pretty heavy though. (Comes stock with a BW k04 turbo too!)

Just saying to take your time and look around at what's out there and then compare it to what you're looking for.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
    heavyD: What are you running for winter tires?
    Pirelli Winter Sottozero Series II tires on my EVO and now Mustang. There isn't a big choice of performance winter tires but I like these because they aren't noisy and get the job done in the snow.

As for the STI I couldn't recommend them because of the fragile engine. Just go to the IWSTI GR-General and Engine forums for yourself and you will find lots of threads regarding engine failures. The ringlands fail stock/modded or babied/driven hard. There's no prevention and you are rolling the dice in that you may get a good one or you may down the road need a new engine as so many have.

My Ride
    GR STI Hatch

I will be using this as a daily car. I actually have a bike rack as well, so I guess storing bike in it isn't that big of a deal. I do a lot of ski trips in the winter, so I need to be able to fold down the backseats and store my skis/boots in there.

Right now, I drive a 2007 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, and I've never had any problems or difficulties with the activities I do. Because of this, I sort of imagined that I wouldn't have an issue with an Evo, but I also didn't know about this battery trunk thing.

Probably most important to me would be how fun the car is to drive, how good the exhaust note is, that sort of thing. Comfort would be a second thought for me, as long as it has heated seats, ipod compatible stereo and cruise control, that's about all I truly care about. Reliability is also important to me. Basically, I want an "exciting car" that still satisfies my needs of driving 3-4 friends once in a while, or 2 friends for a ski trip, and is great to drive in winter.

I haven't looked at Mazda or Volvo or Audi yet, can't say I'm a fan of how they look, so they don't seem as exciting to me.

I should mention I have not taken a test drive on an STI or Evo yet, but was planning to. I have not heard of this engine issue on the STI, is it widespread?

The main things I've noted so far from comments which I didn't know before:

STI
    - has 6 speed, so better on highway mileage and engine note?
    - more trunk space (hatchback version)
    - reliability issue?

BMW 335
    - different kind of car altogether?
    - much better interior/comfort

EVO
    - 5 speed drone on highway
    - less trunk space
    - fit and finish isn't best?

I should also mention that I think I do more driving in the winter with the car than summer, due to driving to mountains a lot. In the summer, I split my time between my car and my motorcycle.

Sorry for the long post by the way, I really do appreciate your feedback so far.
    Last edited by MustangSVT; 09-12-2012 at 02:20 PM.
    Life is too short to be angry. Eat some cake, go for a ride, be happy.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by MustangSVT

STI
    - has 6 speed, so better on highway mileage and engine note?
    - more trunk space (hatchback version)
    - reliability issue?

BMW 335
    - different kind of car altogether?
    - much better interior/comfort

EVO
    - 5 speed drone on highway
    - less trunk space
    - fit and finish isn't best?

I should also mention that I think I do more driving in the winter with the car than summer, due to driving to mountains a lot. In the summer, I split my time between my car and my motorcycle.

Sorry for the long post by the way, I really do appreciate your feedback so far.
    As much as I love my STI, I would rather get into a 335 after a hard day of riding. Crank up the heated seat, sit back and enjoy the cruise back to Calgary. It could be that my car is just to loud... Between the straight pipe exhaust and giant turbo I can't even hear the radio!

But at the end of the day you will not know which cars you like and dislike until you go and drive them.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

EVO fit and finish is no worse than STI. The silver paint on the STI dash trim wears and scratches really easily and the doors rattle.

The EVO back seats do not fold down so that may be a deal breaker for you. There is always the Ralliart wich does have fold down seats and a similar AWD system, engine, plus the MR's 6-Speed TC-SST but it's not as fast or sharp handling as the EVO.

There are some great FWD hatches out there like the GTI, MS3 and the new Focus ST which may be the new benchmarks for FWD hatchbacks.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by heavyD
    EVO fit and finish is no worse than STI. The silver paint on the STI dash trim wears and scratches really easily and the doors rattle.

The EVO back seats do not fold down so that may be a deal breaker for you. There is always the Ralliart wich does have fold down seats and a similar AWD system, engine, plus the MR's 6-Speed TC-SST but it's not as fast or sharp handling as the EVO.

There are some great FWD hatches out there like the GTI, MS3 and the new Focus ST which may be the new benchmarks for FWD hatchbacks.

How thin and light where the doors on your Evo? Sometimes I think the doors of my STI are going to blow off in the wind.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Another alternative that blends a little more creature comfort with AWD+Turbo could be a 2005+ Subaru Legacy GT or GT Limited, I had mine before my 135i and it was a nice car with AWD and turbo still was moderatly quick.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

i think the dual clutch transmission on the evo MR is worth the price of admission

My Ride
    GR STI Hatch

Originally posted by heavyD
    I did not know this, and it might be a deal breaker for me. I'm not sure how I feel about having to get one of those roof racks to carry along my skiing/snowboarding stuff. I'll have to think about it some more. In the meantime, gonna go do a test drive soon.

My Ride
    CBR 929

Have owned both-(2) 2007 STI's and now a 2011 Evo MR.

My personal opinion, being female and not really driving for speed or rallying etc... I preferred the STI.

To me, it was more of a drivers car. Obviously we have the MR, not the GSR so we have the fancy paddle/half ass auto/fake stick transmission. I have driven stick all my life and preferred the STI for this-technologically speaking it was a much simpler car and was that much more enjoyable to drive.

The Evo has all these various modes, all this display info on the dash, buttons everywhere, I don't know how to work half the shit on that car.

The Evo, is however, faster. NO turbo lag.

If you get either car, I HIGHLY recommend that you get 3M coating right away. Do the hood, front bumper, edge of the hood scoop and your rear fender flares also. If you put this off you will be sorry.

[url]

Last edited by Cos; 01-02-2017 at 11:33 AM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast