Quantcast
Where to buy MT or AT tires? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to buy MT or AT tires?

My Ride

Default Where to buy MT or AT tires?

Aside from the usual tirebob, costco, tirerack and discounttiredirect... I'm wondering if there are other places to get tires. I'm not up to speed on 4wd suppliers here.

I am looking for 32/11.5R15 tires, that are good at McLean but also good on the highway (but more aggressive than BFG A/T's). Goodyear MTR's seem interesting, but are on backorder everywhere and are pretty pricey locally.

My Ride
    Cayenne TT

feel free to give us a shout. we have great pricing on tires, we are also a Toyo Tires dealer!

[email protected]

My Ride
    cbr600, z71 sierra, 4x4 kodiak

I have 31 inch bfg all terrain ko on my zr2 and they do good at McLean
    Hittin' every hole

1999 gmc sierra z71, 5.3L 4x4
    2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

My Ride
    1989 MA70, 2006 UZN215

What kind of driving do you do? A lot of highway? A little bit of off roading? Is it going to be used all season?

One tire is always going to be better than the other in one aspect to another. Here's a few examples of the tires I have experienced...

AT BFG T/A KO: Good on road, slightly noisy, performs well off road in dry areas. Mud, not so much. Tread voids fill with mud fast.

In Between: A lot of guys I know run this, I run it myself:Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac- Great AT/MT Hybrid, tight center tread section simillar to AT Characteristics, and a MT like outer tread pattern. Snowflake rating. This tire out performs BFG T/A KO in every aspect, quiet as well on the highway!

MT: Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar, A truly epic tire. I run this for summer, and when aired down to 10 psi. It's an absolute weapon is how I can describe it! Anywhere I would have to engage the ARB Air Locker with the Duratrac...MT/R would crawl it w/o locker. Cons, not an ideal tire for icey winter driving...Little to no siping!

My Ride

The truck is going to have dedicated studded winters, so I think I can go more aggressive on the summer tires.

Truck is going to be wheeled fairly often, and there is a trip being planned to MOAB next year... but its going to be my daily driver, and you can't avoid highways around here. Truck will be driven to the mountains for camping, hiking, biking, dirt biking, etc.

I've had BFG AT's before, and liked them till I got in mud. They rode pretty rough too. I have Toyo AT's on my other truck, and they are great on the street and dirt, but don't do well when it gets soft. Toyo MT's look neat, but aren't available in 32 inch sizes (neither is the duratrac). I have an idea of what sort of tire I want, its more of where to buy...

My Ride
    Its Quick

I recommend the Goodyear MTR's.....had them on my Suburban and worked awesome. Also got my sister to get them on her Tahoe so far great she reports.

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

Just out of curosity why none of the 3 above when they are probably gonna be your best deal.

Im running bfg m/t km2 which are alright on the road but they get a bit loud at low speeds.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

All the Fountain Tire places should be running their 4 for 3 sales starting next week I think. That should help with the pricing for Goodyear stuff.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Originally posted by HuMz
    Im running bfg m/t km2 which are alright on the road but they get a bit loud at low speeds.
    I'll put in another vote for KM2s. I have ran them year round with no problems. They're probably not as loud as some of the other mud terrain tires. Definitely not as loud as the Intercos I'm running now.

I can't tell you how much I don't like the AT KO's. Of all the tires I've ever had on my trucks, aside from the stockers they come with, they've been the worst as far as off-highway performance goes. I can see where they would probably be good in dry sand, but that's the only situation where I haven't seen them outperformed by any other mud terrain.

if you're doing a mix of driving/wheeling... the BFG AT & the Grabber AT2 are great, especially for winter

I had MTRs and they are awesome in deep anything, better than other MTs on the road (like mud rovers or interco) but still not great on icy winter conditions

I have used my buddy's hunting trucks, which have the Cooper S/T's on them and I really like them for those off/road winter conditions

Icy rocks, driving in deep brush with lots of snow, they're perfect

`

Last edited by Cos; 01-02-2017 at 11:32 AM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride

Originally posted by HuMz
    Just out of curosity why none of the 3 above when they are probably gonna be your best deal.

BFG A/T's: Want something that does better in mud
    Duratrac: don't make them in 32's (otherwise I'd look harder at them)
    MTR's: on the short list, looking for other options before I decide

Cooper SST's also kind of fit the bill, but my perception of Cooper comes from when they were a garbage cheapo tire.

Hankook dynapro MT's have good reviews and seem inexpensive

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    All the Fountain Tire places should be running their 4 for 3 sales starting next week I think. That should help with the pricing for Goodyear stuff.
    "Buy Four Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor, Assurance Tripletred All-Season Or Ultra Grip Ice WRT Tires For The Price Of Three From September 17 - October 13, 2012. "
    Neither the duratracs or the MTR's are listed. I should drop in to see if they will be doing anything with the MTR's

My Ride
    1989 MA70, 2006 UZN215

Originally posted by Cos

How was the noise on the MT/R's. I was asking on albertaoffroad and that and the NEW Toyo AT2's are the only two tires that were recommended to me.

Probably going to pick them up come spring.
    The noise is quite minimal for such an agressive-sick tread pattern I was quite impressed with! However, you do hear a slight hum but it's negligable!

Last edited by Cos; 01-02-2017 at 11:32 AM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride

Huge brainfart by me. For whatever reason, I didn't consider that I could upsize the rim diameter when buying tires and rims. 265/75R16 has way more selection than 32x11.5R15, downside is that its an effective 10.5" section.

So now duratracs and Toyo MT's are back in consideration, along with the MTR's

Cos: I'm surprised to hear that, are the Toyo's really that bad?

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

Hankook dynapro's are great for the price. Something you may want to consider, Discount tire offers free shipping in the US. Add $80 bucks in taxes and a storage fee + $80 bucks in gas and its probably cheaper then anything you will find in the city or shipped to your door.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Any mud tire is going to get louder as they wear down. Cos's are about the point where they get nice and loud driving around.

Take a look at the Nitto Terra Grappler or Trail Grappler, probably going to run one of those next. I'll never run a Duratrac on something that gets offroaded just because of the flimsy sidewalls.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

I buy from 1010tires, picked up some duratrac's. happy with their performance but they are a little louder than i expected for an AT tire. i'm looking forward to how they do in winter.

I was looking into the grapplers as well. turns out they are amazingly bad in wet weather. kinda scary thought for our climate however i know guys that trail ride with them in summer without issue.
    2011 Chevy Colorado Z71 - 5.3L LH9 - Daily driver
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

My Ride
    14frs,06Tacoma,69Olds Vista Cruiser, 73VWwestfalia

I had bf goodrich km2s and toyo open country on two seperate vehicles that I owned at the same time and I by far liked the Toyos better for traction on the trails and in the winter.

My Ride
    TwoTurbos

Originally posted by WBB6
    feel free to give us a shout. we have great pricing on tires, we are also a Toyo Tires dealer!

[email protected]
    Do you guys stock Nitto tires by any chance?

I have been looking for a set of Trail Grapplers

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast