Quantcast
Seeing a Counsellor/Psychologist/Shrink - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Seeing a Counsellor/Psychologist/Shrink

Default Seeing a Counsellor/Psychologist/Shrink

Hey guys,

One of my friends has been going through a really rough time with some family issues for the past several years. However she has a hard time opening up to anyone about it and instead bottles it up and deals with it that way, even though I know that causes her crazy amounts of internal stress.

We were talking the other day about how seeing someone to discuss these problems and help her out with these issues might be a good idea. However, she is reluctant about seeing them, as most people are. I have seen other friends though have their whole life turned around after sessions with a counsellor or shrink though so I know it's worth a shot.

Her main concern is cost. Does anyone know any way to go about seeing someone so it doesn't cost a leg and a arm? Are there reduced fees for students anywhere?

As well, from personal experience, can anyone recommend any psychologists or counsellors in the city?

Thanks so much for the helpa

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

I know that SAIT has their own psychologists on hand and for SAIT students you get a few sessions for free and then they charge a certain rate.

Sorry to hear about your friend, I hope they get some help.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

If she's a student, she should look into the counselling services available on campus. If she's a SAIT student tell her to go to the 2nd floor of Heritage Hall (counselling services) and make an appointment with Lois Hayward, she's fantastic!
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

http://www.calgaryfamily.org/adults/counselling.html

Fees for counselling are based on a sliding fee scale, according to the client's ability to pay.

My Ride
    My two feet.

I dated a bat shit crazy girl a while back (who hasn't right?). She ended up going to see a free counsellor through alberta mental health. She went lots and they never charged her a dime.
    Breathe Parkour Magazine

Parkour - Not just a lifestyle, it's the breath in our lungs

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 03:10 AM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

There is a big difference between counselors/therapists, psychologists and psychiatrists. Start with a counselor as suggested, had no idea that kind of service was free. You'll probably only see a psychiatrist if you get a referral but it doesn't sound like something like that is required in this situation.

My opinion, counselor is a good idea but you can also keep prodding her about whatever is troubling her. Once she feels like she can trust you she will spill whatever is bothering her and it could be huge, just to sure you're up to sticking it out because it will be mentally fatiguing for you as well. If you're not comfortable or in for the long haul, counselor it up.

Psychologists I've heard are pretty hard to get appointments with and are like 100+/hr.
    Ultracrepidarian

If she's dealing with an addiction, or with a significant other that has an addiction, Alberta Health Services has a variety of services that may work for her:

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/...d=stype&type=1

A few years ago, I was dating a woman with a drug addiction and we both saw a counsellor at AADAC (now AHS Addictions and Substance Abuse Services) and it was entirely free.

My Ride
    93 integra

Calgary counseling center helped me a ton with my temper.

They charge according to what you make. I was paying something like 22$ a session when I went.

Counseling can make a world of difference. I'm a completely different person now.

Definitely tell your friend to go get some sort of help. It's all confidential anyways. Definitely can't bottle stuff in like that.

My Ride
    NC1

Also try to reading some of the blogs on here.

http://tinybuddha.com/

It has done wonders for my own personal growth/transformation in the past year.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2006 Audi A6 Avant

South calgary mental health has 12 sessions covered by AHS.
    They have walk in as well
    http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/...af&rid=1018206
    Srdjan

Last edited by Cos; 12-20-2016 at 11:41 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Cos, if your work is anything like mine, and it probably is, then they probably have some kind of Employee Assistance Program.

I see their little posters in our kitchens but I think if they contacted HR, they would point him in the right direction. I don't know how many sessions they cover, but they do cover it. As well as a ton of other stuff.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Last edited by Cos; 12-20-2016 at 11:41 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Employee Assistance Program.

This is awesome if your company has it, and lots of places do. It will be covered, and the people when answer your call will be able to refer you to the right kind of help.
    I know a couple co-workers and one buddy at another company who have used this. Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bike

Default gall bladder symptoms

first step is to contact your health insurance co, student services, etc, and find out who you are allowed to see. Then contact the ones on your list and ask if they are accepting patients. If they are, ask their credentials and ask about their approach to treating the specific issue(s) you have. Then pick the one that sounds like they will be the best fit and go see them. If you like that person, great. If not, go back and contact more people on your list.

Most people on a health insurance list are social workers or therapists. You may get a psychologist or two. It doesn't necessarily matter what title they have after their name, what matters is how they approach treating your issue, and how comfortable you are with them.
    Newton Watson