Quantcast
What is your favorite reward credit card? - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 130 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite reward credit card?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Gahhhhhh too many damn cards. Really sucks about MBNA. I just got it in October so I'll be throwing it into the sock drawer in 6 months after the 5% promo is gone. By next year I'll have 6 credit cards but 3 I will use regularily. Aiyahh. Better to keep them all, than cancel.

Gonna be applying for
    Scotia Momentum Infinite Visa (Groceries + Bills)
    Cap1 Aspire Cash World (Everything else)
    PC MC World (Use for gas. I get 11 % Instant Return back from Superstore with Superbucks + PC Points)

Considering getting the
    Canadian Tire Options Card (Thread on RFD saying you can pay your utility bills/property tax and hydro bills with it)

Found a pretty neat site that shows which card is best and what your rewards will be with what you spend. You can adjust the #'s to exactly what you spend monthly. And what is the best combo of cards to use for maximum cash back

http://www.canipayless.com/
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    08 GSR

Originally posted by dj_rice
    Gahhhhhh too many damn cards. Really sucks about MBNA. I just got it in October so I'll be throwing it into the sock drawer in 6 months after the 5% promo is gone.
    Not sure if this was mentioned already, but what really sucks about MBNA is they are switching their policy effective December 1'st. Gonna cap the rewards to only $1250 of your purchases every month.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by V6-BoI

Not sure if this was mentioned already, but what really sucks about MBNA is they are switching their policy effective December 1'st. Gonna cap the rewards to only $1250 of your purchases every month.

Yeah, they were the best credit card until TD bought them and changed everything.

I think once I get the Cap1 Aspire, Scotia VISA and PC MC I'm done with credit cards as my wallet is too thick now.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by carson blocks

I've got the Scotia Momentum Infinite as well. I travel for work almost every week, so with all my travel spending the extra annual fee paid for itself in no time.

4% on gas and grocery
    2% on drug store and recurring bill payments
    1% on everything else

It also apparently comes with a complimentary concierge service and some other perks, but I haven't tried any of them so I have no idea what that stuff is good for.
    Thats actually really good. BRB, applying...

The Aspire Travel seems to be a better deal than the Aspire cash. You still get the options of redeeming your points for 1.5% but you get 2% off all travel expenses on top of that. The travel insurance and benefits are much better on the travel card as well.

Aspire Travel:
    Spend $100 - Receive 200pts which will get you $2 worth of travel, or it can be redeemed for $1.50 in cash back.

Aspire Cash:
    Spend $100 - Receive $1 in cash back.

After owning each card for one year, assuming you spend $1000 a month on it:

Aspire Travel - 69000pts which works out to $690 worth of travel, minus the $120 annual fee you get $570 worth of travel out of it. Or you can redeem the points for $517.50 in cash (minus the annual $120 fee works out to $397.50) .

Aspire Cash - $280 cash back.

However, if you're a hermit with no friends, no life and never travel, then the Scotia Momentum Infinite card works out to be slightly better than the Aspire Travel.
    Last edited by whiskas; 11-13-2012 at 01:12 PM.

My Ride
    '04 Civic, '07 Element SC

I'm on the fence with RBC's avion and cap1 aspire travel.
    In my eyes they have equally advantages ways of working, same sign-up perk value, etc. Money spent to the % reward earned is slightly higher with Avion, but with Cap1, you can redeem money a lot earlier. ie. you spend $7500 to get $150 back with cap1, whereas you can't redeem with avion until you've dropped $15,000 on your card.

The only thing better is that cap1 gives a bonus on the year which makes the card $20 at renewal.... so a cheaper card to have over time.

So I bring up chats with both companies and have them explain why their card is better. Neither seemed to know anything about their competitor.. After wasting a bunch of my time, neither seemed to be able to add additional points, waive sign-up fee's, etc....

Basically explaining to them that as a new customer, I can choose who gets my $120, and they both basically said, I had a choice. Didn't seem like either side was into making a sale.

Meh, I don't really want either now.
    Last edited by Afrodeziak; 11-23-2012 at 10:42 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Depending on where you do your banking, RBC might waive that fee if you have accounts with them. I don't pay for that card due to other products i have with them.

If it's just a standalone card, welp, you get the basic package, no incentive for them to add more on.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Accord

Currently I have a silver Avion with $120 annual fee, but 40 of that was waived (not sure if was through group banking or just because...). I did get 20,000 points for switching my student visa to that though, so I'm using it for everything until I get 35,000 points and can fly to NYC or something. After that I'll re-evaluate whether I want to keep using it, or switch to a different one.

Also just applied for a Capital1 Aspire cash back, the free one though. My game plan is to only have one fee paying card, using the others mostly for a decent credit score/history.

What would be the best card regarding foreign exchange fees? My thinking is that I'll get my trip to the states with the Avion, but once I'm down there I'll be spending in USD everywhere, so should plan ahead for that. Annual fee or not doesn't matter, I probably won't take the trip until I'm pretty close to (possibly) switching away from the avion anyway.

My Ride
    '04 Civic, '07 Element SC

RBC Told me that if I was paying for their VIP account service. $30 a month. That the avion card would be free.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Afrodeziak
    RBC Told me that if I was paying for their VIP account service. $30 a month. That the avion card would be free.
    You get a better deal with TD if you can keep a $5k balance in your chequing account.

i love my TD infinite visa. i literally use it for everything from coffee to package vacations. i've had it for just over 1 1/2 years now and i've accumulated a total of $1000 that goes toward any travel expense. i recommend this card!
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

RBC, TD, capital one, CIBC, scotiabank card, BMO cards do not compare to American Express Platinum Charge.

I do pay the 500 a year/ but it is the best card ever.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by thetransporter
    RBC, TD, capital one, CIBC, scotiabank card, BMO cards do not compare to American Express Platinum Charge.

I do pay the 500 a year/ but it is the best card ever.
    Only problem with that card (other than an insane $500 dollar fee) is that more and more places are dumping Amex due to their high fees.

I have settled into 4 cards now, and so far I like them all for different things:

MBNA World Cash MC (no fees) - 2% on groceries and gas, 1% on everything else. Used to be 3% but they cut back, but they do have an online "mall" which redirects you to a ton of online retailers, allowing you to earn much more. I do a lot of online shopping, more often than not, the provider is on there. Accumulate $50 and they send you a cheque. Use this for groceries (including bus passes) and gas

Capital One Aspire Cash MC (no fees) - 1% on everything, 50% bonus at the end of the year, so really 1.5% on everything. I use this to buy everything I don't put onto the MBNA card as I get 1.5% on all the purchases. Got a nifty $200 dollars credit on my card for signing up

Amazon.ca Visa (no fees) - 1% cash back as an automatic credit to the acount at the end of the billing cycle. I use this card for ALL foreign transactions as they do not charge the typical 2-2.5% exchange rate fee. I put $14,000USD transaction onto that card a few weeks ago, if CAD=USD, that would be a $14350 once it is posted on my credit card due to the 2.5% exchange rate, BUT amazon does not charge this at all, so it came out to $13900 something as the dollar was slightly higher, AND to top it off, got an extra $140 dollars as bill credit (1% cash back)....so a $14000 transaction saved me nearly $500 bucks! Simply can't go wrong with that for a free card. I use it for everything that is sold in USD, and it will be my primary card of use when I travel anywhere.

Costco Amex - Just for Costco

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

I got my scotia momentum yesterday, WHAT A SHIT SHOW... Scotia is the most ridiculous company ever to deal with... i have been with CIBC for 15+ years and only had to actually go talk to someone 2-3 times....

Scotia forces you to make an appointment, of which they are booking 2 weeks in advance, just to pick up a CC, every other CC company in this world mails the thing to you, but no, they need you in there, so you can basically tell the banker all the exact same info you entered on their online application, which they had already reviewed and approved.... i had a bill before i even got the damn card... and of course while you are in there they trash talk your current bank and try to pressure you in to BS.

Worst. Experience. Ever. (With a bank)

This will be my last dealing with them... even with the great rewards on this card... it's not worth it.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Car

Originally posted by eblend

Amazon.ca Visa (no fees) - 1% cash back as an automatic credit to the acount at the end of the billing cycle. I use this card for ALL foreign transactions as they do not charge the typical 2-2.5% exchange rate fee. I put $14,000USD transaction onto that card a few weeks ago, if CAD=USD, that would be a $14350 once it is posted on my credit card due to the 2.5% exchange rate, BUT amazon does not charge this at all, so it came out to $13900 something as the dollar was slightly higher, AND to top it off, got an extra $140 dollars as bill credit (1% cash back)....so a $14000 transaction saved me nearly $500 bucks! Simply can't go wrong with that for a free card. I use it for everything that is sold in USD, and it will be my primary card of use when I travel anywhere.

That's exactly what I'm looking for! Is it the card they advertise at checkout ("Get $15 off your order with the Amazon Visa..."?). Shitty if it is because I just finished my christmas orders yesterday, but still. No translation fees are something I've been looking for.

Edit: (That was the one). Just applied and they gave me a massive credit limit.... Probably good as it'll be covering several weeks of trips at a time, but still. More than three times my other card. Nuts.
    Last edited by woodywoodford; 12-12-2012 at 09:46 AM.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Only problem with that card (other than an insane $500 dollar fee) is that more and more places are dumping Amex due to their high fees.
    Its actually 700 now, and places are not dumping Amex, there is actually a very small percentage of places that don't use it. You have to be a pretty heavy traveller to make use of the benefits that it has.

Wow, great idea, I will look into this for sure.

Originally posted by flipstah

You get a better deal with TD if you can keep a $5k balance in your chequing account.
    Works out to be the same essentially, as if you were to put that into a low interest savings it would net a bit more than the annual fee.
    Last edited by Neil4Speed; 12-12-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Exploded.

I'm still digging my Amex right now because:
    - The charge card concept forces me to think about spending as paying it in full hurts if you go past your budget
    - Service is phenomenal with American Express
    - Chinese restaurants accept it. Win.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by flipstah

I called into TD for some other reason on monday. I got suckered into their select service. The fact that ALL withdrawls (on the td side anyways) are free is what got me. And the "deluxe TD auto club" since I don't pay AMA. Free certified cheques?!

http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/product...nts/select.jsp
    Last edited by jwslam; 12-12-2012 at 06:10 PM.

My Ride
    FB6

Originally posted by jwslam

I called into TD for some other reason on monday. I got suckered into their select service. The fact that ALL atm withdrawls are free is what got me. And the "deluxe TD auto club" since I don't pay AMA. Free certified cheques?!

http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/product...nts/select.jsp
    Free bank drafts too!
    TD also doesnt charge you on third party ATM withdrawals, so you only have to pay the third party fee.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Is that free withdrawl from 3rd party ATMs Canada only? Or International?
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 11 of 130 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast