Quantcast
What is your favorite reward credit card? - Page 96 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 96 of 130 FirstFirst ... 86 95 96 97 106 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 2590

Thread: What is your favorite reward credit card?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A Centurion annual fee is not likely justifiable from a $ return on perks perspective, and last thing I read said the annual fee was closer to $5k?

It's second to none from a dick swinging perspective though
    Meh...most centurion cardholders I know have them because they drive COGS through their cards somewhere. They aren't guys that are walking into a Porsche dealer and throwing a car on their card or buying suites on Emirates.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Won’t someone think of the ballers
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by beecue View Post
    Is Rogers WE MC still the best everyday card? It dropped from 1.75% to 1.50% and has a 15K minimum spend now but still seems good if you can meet that?
    It’s still the best no-fee cash back card IMO, but It really depends on how much you spend. If you’re comparing the 1.5% from Rogers vs 2% on the Scotia or Simply Cash, calculate the break even point for the YF. The 0.5% extra cash back in exchange for a $120 YF means you need to spend 24k per year (2k per month) to make it worth it. Or compared to Amex simply cash, that is $100 YF so requires you to spend 20k per year to break even. And also factor in spouse card fees to figure out your break even point.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Meh...most centurion cardholders I know have them because they drive COGS through their cards somewhere. They aren't guys that are walking into a Porsche dealer and throwing a car on their card or buying suites on Emirates.
    Yeah that makes sense. My point was it doesn't accrue points any faster to justify the annual fee (over a platinum per say)... is that assumption correct? The value prop for Centurion is in other things (concierge, dick swinging, probably some other stuff I have no idea about), is it not?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If I was ever to get approved for that card, my first request to the concierge would be to find me someone in a centurion costume to follow me around and pay for things for me.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    ute

Yeah that makes sense. My point was it doesn't accrue points any faster to justify the annual fee (over a platinum per say)... is that assumption correct? The value prop for Centurion is in other things (concierge, dick swinging, probably some other stuff I have no idea about), is it not?
    It's good if you want to have a concierge to stroke your ego, I guess. (See also: private banking).

I don't think there is anything objectively valuable on a net basis points-wise.

Dick swinging isn't a benefit because if you are someone who is in a position to dick swing, your Credit card is low on the list of items to show it. Nobody cares about a Centurion card nowadays anyway.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Hence the actor in a gladiator costume

fact.

My Ride
    *The First*

So many haters. Must be nice to pay full price for jerky made "partially from meat sourced in Mexico"...

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I'm sorry, but the annual fee on a Centurion card exceeds twelve hundred dollars, does it not?
    It's not really selling me to get $50 or $100 here & there so that in as little as 20~ish transactions, I could have my annual fee paid for when cards that cost one tenth of that can pay for themselves in one single, fairly normal transaction.

It's a bit like "hey guys - I got a free detail on my F40 after my biannual servicing appointment... Which cost $45k..."

I think the card is more about "just snagged a zero-mile LFA from a dealership in La Jolla using my card".
    And less about, "yeah boyz - I gotta BOGO on some Jack Links from the Spray & Save!"
    These offers are avail on platinum as well.

A Centurion annual fee is not likely justifiable from a $ return on perks perspective, and last thing I read said the annual fee was closer to $5k?

It's second to none from a dick swinging perspective though
    It is, there's actually quite a return.

And just to address some of the other comments on the board...

Canadian Centurion card is $2,500 a year, with a one-time initiation of $5,000, or at least that's what it was when I pulled the trigger 8 or 9 years ago... First year was a full $7,500.

It had the "wow this is cool" effect for 4 months or so (just a sense of accomplishment I guess). No one recognizes the card in Calgary though which is fine (everyone thinks it's an avion or something), it does get recognized in other places. I've seen some people "flex" or show it off in public, I just look at it like they are embarrassing themselves.

There definitely is value in having it though. If you do a lot of travelling (hotels and flights) and utilize the perks, you can get a return on the annual fee back easily. The years I've calculated it, sometimes the return is 4 or 5 times more than the annual fee. One year, the continuous "gifts" of $500 gift cards for companies like Holt Renfrew, Air Canada, the various boutique shops, exceeded $4,000... Keep in mind, they send you these so you go in and spend more than the gift card value (which I did), but we all treat ourselves anyways, they just use these to direct us to specific vendors... It's a marketing strategy that works for them and their merchants, and works for people to because they are going to do the spending anyways, may as well just direct it.

The status with Delta, and the status with hotel loyalty programs is awesome too and it pays for itself if you regularly fly around and stay at hotels.

The service provided with the card is great too. Doing tons of transactions for myself as well as business expenses, it's nice to know I have immediate access to support if needed. They always go above and beyond. It's nice to not have anything to worry about.

EDIT/Addition: There's also a $500 yearly travel credit that you can use for any travel related expenses through Amex Travel. Also, with Amex Travel sometimes they have Centurion specific deals for promos/discounts on hotel and flights. I use Amex travel quite a bit and love it. There's been soo many times where I've had to change travel plans during the trip, and it's so nice to be able to call them and get them to change and deal with it (and me not have to wait on hold with the airline). For some reason the change fees were always less or didn't exist with Amex travel, vs changes when going direct with airline. I don't know why this is, just noticed it because I was expecting change fees and never saw them, just the occasional fare difference.

TL/DR. It's a fun flex for a few months, but you definitely get value from the program overall as long as you maintain and keep the card (because of the initiation fee).
    Last edited by Zhariak; 07-07-2021 at 05:54 AM.
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

Quote Originally Posted by beecue View Post
    Looking for straight cash back as I don't want to bank travel points in case I don't end up using it. Are you referring to SimplyCash Preferred Card AE for the 2%? I would also need secondary card for my wife.
    There's a few that look pretty good depending on your specific spending habits. Best thing to do is make a spreadsheet and also take into account the annual fee to make sure the extra rewards make up for it.

Scotia Momentum Infinite is 4% on groceries & bills, 2% transportation, 1% everything else. Annual fee $120 with first year waived. $50 for additional cards. This is the best one for cash IMO unless your spending doesn't jive with the reward structure.

The AE Simply Cash Preferred is a straight 2% if you like AE. $99 annual fee, up to 9 free supplementary cards.

CIBC Dividend Infinite is 4% gas/groceries, 2% bills/restaurants/transportation, 1% everything else. $120 annual with first year fee waived. $30 for additional cards.

Scotia Passport is what I ended up getting for our joint card. $139/yr + free supplementary cards. No FX fees, 2% on groceries, restaurants, entertainment (those 3 things account for ~95% of our day-to-day joint spending). 1% on the rest. The no FX fees was a big deal for us though.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Zhariak View Post
    These offers are avail on platinum as well.

It is, there's actually quite a return.

And just to address some of the other comments on the board...

Canadian Centurion card is $2,500 a year, with a one-time initiation of $5,000, or at least that's what it was when I pulled the trigger 8 or 9 years ago... First year was a full $7,500.

It had the "wow this is cool" effect for 4 months or so (just a sense of accomplishment I guess). No one recognizes the card in Calgary though which is fine (everyone thinks it's an avion or something), it does get recognized in other places. I've seen some people "flex" or show it off in public, I just look at it like they are embarrassing themselves.

There definitely is value in having it though. If you do a lot of travelling (hotels and flights) and utilize the perks, you can get a return on the annual fee back easily. The years I've calculated it, sometimes the return is 4 or 5 times more than the annual fee. One year, the continuous "gifts" of $500 gift cards for companies like Holt Renfrew, Air Canada, the various boutique shops, exceeded $4,000... Keep in mind, they send you these so you go in and spend more than the gift card value (which I did), but we all treat ourselves anyways, they just use these to direct us to specific vendors... It's a marketing strategy that works for them and their merchants, and works for people to because they are going to do the spending anyways, may as well just direct it.

The status with Delta, and the status with hotel loyalty programs is awesome too and it pays for itself if you regularly fly around and stay at hotels.

The service provided with the card is great too. Doing tons of transactions for myself as well as business expenses, it's nice to know I have immediate access to support if needed. They always go above and beyond. It's nice to not have anything to worry about.

EDIT/Addition: There's also a $500 yearly travel credit that you can use for any travel related expenses through Amex Travel. Also, with Amex Travel sometimes they have Centurion specific deals for promos/discounts on hotel and flights. I use Amex travel quite a bit and love it. There's been soo many times where I've had to change travel plans during the trip, and it's so nice to be able to call them and get them to change and deal with it (and me not have to wait on hold with the airline). For some reason the change fees were always less or didn't exist with Amex travel, vs changes when going direct with airline. I don't know why this is, just noticed it because I was expecting change fees and never saw them, just the occasional fare difference.

TL/DR. It's a fun flex for a few months, but you definitely get value from the program overall as long as you maintain and keep the card (because of the initiation fee).
    That's cool. Thanks for telling us more of the details! The concierge/assistant thing sounds super helpful for travel.
    I think I'm also getting 5x my fees on cards that I really work over, so from a relative standpoint, I don't feel like I'm missing out on too much, aside from the obvious prestige.
    I'd be jealous and/or PO'd if I found out you were getting Academy Award Gift Bags levels of free luxurious shit. LoL!!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    My wife is status with AC, and I'm status with WJ, so we're covered whatever we fly.

She's also some super high ranking status person with Marriott, which is very, very useful.
    This your wife?

Name:  CBA29425-760D-45C7-A7AB-D683CBF60891.jpeg
Views: 247
Size:  137.7 KB
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This your wife?

Name:  CBA29425-760D-45C7-A7AB-D683CBF60891.jpeg
Views: 247
Size:  137.7 KB
    hahah. I got that immediately.

Great movie

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I always assumed Buster and his Wife were more this…
    Name:  4D373EE6-6567-40C1-8C1A-3AFC18EC725F.png
Views: 308
Size:  450.4 KB

fact.

Nice little perk for RBC cardholders. Free dashpass for either 3 months (basic cards) or 12 months (premium cards)
    https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...892213624.html

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

I'm waiting to see what provider Costco is switching to, hoping it's a visa so I can drop my scotia passport

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    I'm waiting to see what provider Costco is switching to, hoping it's a visa so I can drop my scotia passport
    Ugh I really hope not. I have 5 MCs and an Amex but no Visa. I really don’t want to get a 7th credit card

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Nice little perk for RBC cardholders. Free dashpass for either 3 months (basic cards) or 12 months (premium cards)
    https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...892213624.html
    Dash Pass is awesome. I pay $10/mo for a normal one but it pays for itself in 1-2 orders max, and makes small orders way more reasonable. I'm actually quite surprised it's as cheap as it is relative to the savings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    Are they switching? I didn't know that.

I literally just signed up for the Scotia Passport so I won't be upset if it's VISA haha. Or they could just take both VISA and MC, that would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post

Are they switching? I didn't know that.

I literally just signed up for the Scotia Passport so I won't be upset if it's VISA haha. Or they could just take both VISA and MC, that would be ideal.
    Well the only thing confirmed is that Cap One is pulling out of Canada by end of 2021 so that also means their cobrand cards (both with Costco and HBC) is going to end.

If costco wants to continue with a cobrand card then presumably they would accept whatever card type their cobrand is. This article explains it well:
    https://creditcardgenius.ca/blog/cap...co-partnership

My Ride
    ute

I assume Costco gets rebated so much of the interchange fee from CO, that it is not very profitable for them.

Page 96 of 130 FirstFirst ... 86 95 96 97 106 ... LastLast