Quantcast
What is your favorite reward credit card? - Page 79 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 79 of 130 FirstFirst ... 69 78 79 80 89 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 2590

Thread: What is your favorite reward credit card?

My Ride
    Axis powers

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I on the other hand am almost certain they will, but it'll be awkward as shit.
    I think they'll force you to take a "refund" of the first purchase as WestJet dollars and then ring you in the same transaction with whatever wooden nickels you now want to pay with.
    This really isn't that big of a deal if you know you'll spend those credits within a year, but it will take a long time on the phone.
    What would happen is they would cancel your reservation, then retain $100 per flight per direction as a fee, then you would have to rebook at the current flight cost which could be higher lower or the same.
    I’ve asked them before when I got my WJ CC
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Has anyone had to exercise trip insurance in their CC's?

I learned the hard way over the holidays that trip interruption insurance is useless..

I was in Paris with a train ride to Frankfurt but the labor strikes canceled my trip and was forced to find emergency trips ASAP. I was basically stuck there because flights were grounded; train service was non-existent, and all rental cars were booked. Luckily, I was able to get a two-leg journey via Brussels which costs more than the initial trip; the CC won't cover it..

Basically, someone needed to be injured or dead for it to be a trip interruption..

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

My trip interruption coverage worked for me twice - last year when somebody guy backed into me at the domestic terminal causing me to miss my flight, and in December 2014 when Delta left my checked luggage at LAX for my first day in Tokyo. Trip interruption insurance came through for me on both occasions - it covered the fee for the same-day flight change, along with a few sundry items I purchased in Tokyo because I didn't have my checked luggage.

One other experience in attempting to make a trip interruption claim did not go so well. A pilot strike at Avianca in the fall of 2017 caused a Cartagena to Cali flight that I had book to be cancelled, and for me to incur an extra night in Cartagena - the missed flight and the extra night I had to spend in Cartagena was not covered by my trip interruption insurance. I'll have to check the terms and conditions of my TD Visa Infinite card again, but I suspect that labour issues may not be covered by trip interruption insurance...
    Last edited by Gainsbarre; 01-04-2020 at 12:56 AM.

My Ride
    ute

do Rakuten gift card purchases count toward minimum spend?

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainsbarre View Post
    My trip interruption coverage worked for me twice - last year when somebody guy backed into me at the domestic terminal causing me to miss my flight, and in December 2014 when Delta left my checked luggage at LAX for my first day in Tokyo. Trip interruption insurance came through for me on both occasions - it covered the fee for the same-day flight change, along with a few sundry items I purchased in Tokyo because I didn't have my checked luggage.

One other experience in attempting to make a trip interruption claim did not go so well. A pilot strike at Avianca in the fall of 2017 caused a Cartagena to Cali flight that I had book to be cancelled, and for me to incur an extra night in Cartagena - the missed flight and the extra night I had to spend in Cartagena was not covered by my trip interruption insurance. I'll have to check the terms and conditions of my TD Visa Infinite card again, but I suspect that labour issues may not be covered by trip interruption insurance...
    Yeah the latter part is quite similar to my predicament. Now I get why CC offers these things like candy; likelihood of cashing these out is low due to limited circumstances.

My Ride
    '13 MazdaSpeed 3, Zoom Zoom!

What's the best CC to get discount at the gas pump?
    My Karma ran over your Dogma

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

I had a Scotiabank Cash Back card that gave me 4c back on all my gas purchases. I think CIBC had a similar card as well.

My Ride

I found this one, which sounds pretty good. 3c off instantly, no messing with cash back wait times.

https://www.petro-canada.ca/en/perso...tro-points/rbc

are there any other cards with better discounts, or for use at other stations?

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by cidley69 View Post
    I like the Ctire triangle reward card (if you like ctire money).. 5 cents off per liter at husky or ctire gas station (7 cents with premiumgas).

I have the world card and you get rental insurance coverage and also a triangle roadside assistance membership. No fee for the credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    I like the Ctire triangle reward card (if you like ctire money).. 5 cents off per liter at husky or ctire gas station (7 cents with premium gas).

I have the world card and you get rental insurance coverage and also a triangle roadside assistance membership. No fee for the credit card.
    I second the CTire card for fuel purchases if you shop at CT (who doesn't). Also a lot of great member offers/ benefits like mentioned above for a no fee card. If you have the World Elite, a few times a year you'll receive a code good for up to 75% off the entire store at SportChek (up to $4k in spend during the week) which is shareable among friends and family.
    Last edited by NoSup4U; 01-10-2020 at 11:01 AM.

Some credit cards give you 4% back on gas, that's probably your best best aside from getting a very specific card that is good for gas and probably not much else (but maybe that's what you need).

My Ride
    2019 JLU /Triumph T120 Bonnyville

My RBC Westjet card gets me 3c off at Petro, and gets me Petropoints. I then use the points to grab one of the 10c off Gas cards for X amount of litres so then I get 13c off.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The RBC gas rebate is a bit of a fugazi because you can technically get the discount with any of their credit cards or a client card. So combine the petro discount with a free cash back MasterCard and that’s a decent return. Probably above 4%. But you are hooked to Petro Canada which night turn some people off.

So you earn 3 cents per litre off call that 2-3% depending on prices. An extra 20% Petro points, Petro points are normally a 0.5-0.75% return, which adds a bit to the return this is worth 0.1-0.15%. Compounding is you also get 20% more RBC reward points, which is nominally worth a 1% return at the minimum (if you buy mercy/gift cards with it. Where it gets interesting is if you use that 20% bonus points in combination with Avion or Avion IP, which has a 2-2.9% base return, which means the extra 20% is another 0.4-0.58% return.

So by my math this puts the total return on buying gas at Petro Canada with an Avion or Avion IP at somewhere between 4.5 and 6.63% above the standard .5-.75% Petro Points rewards. Not half bad overall actually, you can also juice this further with bonus Petro points through RBC if you hit 100 and 250 dollars of gas a month.

Edit: looked up the Petro points reward value to update my math.
    Last edited by killramos; 01-10-2020 at 09:48 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Redseming rbc points to earn a discount is kind of a "fugazi" too, since those points have value, so you are buying that discount.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Redseming rbc points to earn a discount is kind of a "fugazi" too, since those points have value, so you are buying that discount.
    You don’t redeem RBC points to buy a discount. You earn the points and they have value, which increases your effective return with the card.

The real value of the program is it’s all linked up, so I have never had to carry or swipe the stupid Petro card to earn points lol.

I had never actually done the math on the Petro-RBC link, it is actually a better deal for me to use Petro than I thought it was.

I’m also reading that different redemptions for Petro points can be worth more than .5-.75, gas discount cards at .9% and then with car washes being nearly 2%.
    Last edited by killramos; 01-10-2020 at 10:21 PM.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride

That Rbc-petroCan combo sounds pretty good. Better than just a cash back cc. I've been using shell and airmils for decades, just out of habit, and the returns are pretty lackluster.

That's likely best gas discount strategy?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It seems not bad if you drink the koolaid yea.

I feel like She’ll has never been a good deal, but their product is great.

fact.

My Ride
    V8s

It seems not bad if you drink the koolaid yea.

I feel like She’ll has never been a good deal, but their product is great.
    I was just reading your post, thinking about switching to Petrocan... then realized that I would rather continue to just pay 5% more for the fuel at Shell.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    I was just reading your post, thinking about switching to Petrocan... then realized that I would rather continue to just pay 5% more for the fuel at Shell.
    Hahah totally

Only reason I got on using Petro, was religiously 100% shell, is my truck has a 93 octane requirement. The RBC thing was a happy bonus on the side.

fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

my truck has a 93 octane requirement.
    that thing is a corvette with a bed.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 79 of 130 FirstFirst ... 69 78 79 80 89 ... LastLast