Quantcast
What is your favorite reward credit card? - Page 78 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 78 of 130 FirstFirst ... 68 77 78 79 88 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 2590

Thread: What is your favorite reward credit card?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Paying with your card is not linked to your flights, that will just honour whatever you earn on your spend. Frequent flyer miles through the airline and status are above and beyond that.

You need to enter your rewards number when booking, and the number is different for every guest. Each person just have their own frequent flyer account. And yes children can have their own frequent flyer numbers. The only way they would know your number is if you booked the flight through your westjet account.

You can always enter your frequent flyer number when checking in, you don’t have to do it when you book. Make sure the names on the tickets match the names on the frequent flyer program or they will invalidate the segment.

If you could pool 8 people under 1 frequent flyer account it would be way too easy to earn status.

Ironically westjet is one of the least obtuse airlines about this in my experience, air canada is a nightmare.
    Last edited by killramos; 12-30-2019 at 09:54 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    If that's the case, why the fuck is it even asking me for the Rewards numbers of the others flying with me? The machine knows if you're flying with children, so how could they have a rewards account? If I pay to fly my concubine and my coke dealer to Vegas with me, am I supposed to enter each of their personal rewards numbers and then they get points for money they didn't spend??!
    Yes.

Also so if they do have status, then they get the perks they're entitled to.

My work pays for all my flights (well 38/40 of them in a given year), but I get status from the money they spend. It's just how airline status works.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

And booking through the various third-party sites, you don't automatically get your reward points just because you paid with your WJ MC. You need to enter it separately. Only place it auto-populates is if you log into your WJ account and buy the flight from inside that.

Fares from third-party websites also may not even include status miles, or may include fewer of them.

Sorta on topic, but I found for my US work flights, the United Website is often the cheapest price. So I usually purchase straight through that. I check elsewhere, but given the choice I'd buy direct from airline.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 12-30-2019 at 10:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

Paying with your card is not linked to your flights, that will just honour whatever you earn on your spend. Frequent flyer miles through the airline and status are above and beyond that.

You need to enter your rewards number when booking, and the number is different for every guest. Each person just have their own frequent flyer account. And yes children can have their own frequent flyer numbers. The only way they would know your number is if you booked the flight through your westjet account.

You can always enter your frequent flyer number when checking in, you don’t have to do it when you book. Make sure the names on the tickets match the names on the frequent flyer program or they will invalidate the segment.

If you could pool 8 people under 1 frequent flyer account it would be way too easy to earn status.

Ironically westjet is one of the least obtuse airlines about this in my experience, air canada is a nightmare.
    Excellent, thanks. Great tip about check in, too!
    I sort of agree that the points would rack up too easily if I could claim them all; however, the points are still being given away so it's kind of BS to force their distribution just to keep people at lower rewards levels.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Well, figured I'd post this since it's relevant...

Used my yearly $500 Centurion Travel credit to book a flight with Delta next month down to the USA. I've been bad and let the previous 2 years of $500 credits go unused, lol. Had to book this because this years credit expires within days for me.

Surprised how cheap the flights were, I actually had to book Comfort+ to get the cost over 500 so I could use the credit. Booked with Amex Centurion Travel portal online.

Thanks to Amex and my complimentary Delta Gold Medallion status, I've already put my request in for free upgrades to first class, fingers crossed! And free checked bags!

After flying Air Canada all these years, flying United (my first US carrier) last month, I'm excited to try out Delta! All in all the trip is costing me $30CAD (for the difference).
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

Quote Originally Posted by Gainsbarre View Post
    Alright, I'll bite. TD Visa Infinite was my main credit card from late 2012 until January 2019, and I travel very frequently. I still use my TD Visa Infinite, but only for travel related purchases, and only after doing some price comparison online. The Rogers World Elite Mastercard (1.75% cashback on all CAD purchases, 1.5% cashback on all FX purchases) is now my main card - I also use the Simplii Visa (4% cashback for restaurants), the Tangerine Mastercard for recurring bill payments (2% cashback for TELUS and my cellphone plan but not ENMAX), and the Triangle World Elite Mastercard to pay my property tax and for grocery (3%) and gasoline purchases. I have the all-inclusive account to pay zero fees with my TD Visa Infinite card - I've never have and never plan on pay any credit card fees, ever...
    Glad to know I’m not the only crazy guy with 5 CCs optimized for my spend

I have a few similarities in my wallet:
    - used bmo world elite travel exclusively which was basically 2% back on travel until they fucked with the points a few years ago, so now I only use it for travel spend, dining, entertainment which works out to like 2.4%. $150 YF waived cuz I have the bmo premium plan
    - daily driver since then has been the Rogers WE. 1.75% back on everything, 1.5% net on foreign currency purchases. I like the simplicity of straight cash back
    - triangle WE for paying my Enmax bill (they don’t take CCs if you just have water/sewer with them), groceries, and anything at Canadian tire. I like the free financing feature for spend over $200 at CT. I should look into paying people tax with it, but I am on TIPP now so would have to do some planning to switch to yearly lump sum
    - bmo shell air miles world strictly for gas as I get 5% off all spend at Shell gas stations with it. Sometimes I’ll use it at air miles partners like Safeway/rexall if they have promos. $99 YF waived
    - Amex no fee air miles just to take advantage of Amex perks and offers. A lot of months I don’t use it at all
    Last edited by sabad66; 12-30-2019 at 01:09 PM.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Zhariak View Post
    Well, figured I'd post this since it's relevant...

Used my yearly $500 Centurion Travel credit to book a flight with Delta next month down to the USA. I've been bad and let the previous 2 years of $500 credits go unused, lol. Had to book this because this years credit expires within days for me.

Surprised how cheap the flights were, I actually had to book Comfort+ to get the cost over 500 so I could use the credit. Booked with Amex Centurion Travel portal online.

Thanks to Amex and my complimentary Delta Gold Medallion status, I've already put my request in for free upgrades to first class, fingers crossed! And free checked bags!

After flying Air Canada all these years, flying United (my first US carrier) last month, I'm excited to try out Delta! All in all the trip is costing me $30CAD (for the difference).
    Do you know what the current/unwritten minimum for the Centurion is? I don't do a ton of business expensing at the moment, so it's all personal expenses. I'm not sure I would get to Centurion level based on primarily personal spend (and I'm not sure I would pay the fee!).

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Do you know what the current/unwritten minimum for the Centurion is? I don't do a ton of business expensing at the moment, so it's all personal expenses. I'm not sure I would get to Centurion level based on primarily personal spend (and I'm not sure I would pay the fee!).
    Originally when launched in Canada it was $150k. Then sometime in 2011 or 2012 they cranked it up to $250k. Since then they could have made more changes but those numbers are from when I received my invites before accepting.

Thankfully in Canada the fees haven't changed like the updated more expensive US card, but we don't have the same offers/perks they do.

In all honesty, once you get away from the hard-to-swallow $5k initiation ($7.5k first year total), the yearly $2.5k fee isn't bad if you utilize all the perks, you also get tons of freebies.

Random example: Dec 16 to Jan 16, spend $500 at a list of 30+ duty free shops at YYZ airport, and you'll get a $500 statement credit. I was actually passing through YYZ the day that was announced, but my friggin plane was an hour late and I had to run from domestic to international departures to make my flight on last call. I'm hoping to swing by YYZ again before the promo is done. This year the amount of free stuff they've given has been crazy!!!

If you're trying to get your spending up, use Plastiq to pay your taxes, rent, lease, mortage, etc... I've been reading that coming up more and more often now.
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Alright, I'll bite. TD Visa Infinite was my main credit card from late 2012 until January 2019, and I travel very frequently. I still use my TD Visa Infinite, but only for travel related purchases, and only after doing some price comparison online. The Rogers World Elite Mastercard (1.75% cashback on all CAD purchases, 1.5% cashback on all FX purchases) is now my main card - I also use the Simplii Visa (4% cashback for restaurants), the Tangerine Mastercard for recurring bill payments (2% cashback for TELUS and my cellphone plan but not ENMAX), and the Triangle World Elite Mastercard to pay my property tax and for grocery (3%) and gasoline purchases. I have the all-inclusive account to pay zero fees with my TD Visa Infinite card - I've never have and never plan on pay any credit card fees, ever...

Expedia for TD does give you the equivalent of 4.5% cashback for travel related purchases, and I'll still use them for flights/hotels if it's the cheapest price I can find. If I'm booking domestic flights in a foreign country, it's almost always significantly cheaper to book directly with the airline (e.g. I recently booked a bunch of domestic Japanese flights with ANA and they were all significantly cheaper dealing directly with ANA in Japanese Yen on their website). Always look up the flights you're wanting to book with Google Flights first - if I can get that price on Expedia for TD I will book it there, and if the difference is no greater than 3% compared what I can get I will booking directly with the airline I'll book on Expedia for TD, otherwise I'll book directly with the airline using my Rogers World Elite Mastercard.

One beef I have had with Expedia for TD is that their selection is NOT as robust as what you'll find on Expedia.ca. For instance, many hotels where you would pay directly at the hotel cannot be booked on Expedia for TD! I always look up hotels first with Trivago. That being said, if you see the exact same hotel/room type available on Expedia.ca and Expedia for TD, it's almost always cheaper to book on Expedia for TD. Expedia for TD doesn't seem to pair your airfare purchases with hotel purchases, in that if you've recently booked airfare on Expedia for TD you'll get the "book a hotel with your flight discount", even if the hotel(s) you book after the flight is in a different part of the world.

Another beef I have with Expedia for TD is that they've kiboshed their best price guarantee where you'd get a $50 voucher and a refund of the price difference if you could find a cheaper price elsewhere - I had collected over $2,000 in vouchers, mostly by finding the same hotel for cheaper at Agoda.

Expedia for TD is excellent for booking rental cars - it's always free cancellation until about a day before your reservation, and from the price comparisons I've done, Expedia for TD has always been the cheapest - even compared to booking directly with a car rental company website with a corporate discount and/or "elite" membership discounts (I have Hertz Gold through my Mileage Plus Gold status).

I have also had great experiences with TD Visa Infinite's rental car insurance coverage and trip interruption insurance. I had my first (and thankfully, so far only) flat tire almost 2 years ago after striking a huge pothole in Kentucky just northeast of Louisville - Allianz fully covered the cost of a replacement tire. Do NOT EVER purchase car rental insurance through the rental company if you pay for your rental with the TD Visa Infinite - the very first question Allianz asked when I inquired about the claim was whether or not I had taken out rental car insurance through the rental car company - if I had, I would have no coverage through my TD Visa Infinite. Furthermore, the daily cost of the insurance through the rental car company (if I had purchased it) also exceeded the ~$50 cost of the replacement tire! My TD Visa Infinite also came through for me when my luggage was delayed about 5 years ago (covered some of my expenses for my first day in Tokyo) and when I was in my first and only ever card accident on my way to YYC, which caused me to miss my flight and incur a $100 same day flight change fee - TD Visa Infinite fully reimbursed me there as well.

Alright, final point for the TD Visa Infinite - I don't believe it has any coverage of checked baggage fees or any airport lounge offers, which is a bit of a letdown for frequent travelers, especially if you've had free airport lounge access before. As mentioned in an earlier post I've made in this thread, I believe that free airport lounge access with a no-fee credit card is extremely difficult to come by. I believe that the HSBC Jade Mastercard is the only no-fee credit card that offers unlimited airport lounge access, but it comes with a steep hurdle to clear (you need to have a tidy sum in HSBC accounts, so much so that I can only find very limited information about this card online - only a few posts on Red Flag Deals seem to briefly touch upon this card...)
    How do you go about paying property taxes with the CC?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    ute

ya, I think there are a couple of Canadian Fintechs that can pay your bills for you - but the fees make it seem not worth it. I guess if I needed my spend up it would help a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    How do you go about paying property taxes with the CC?
    With Triangle, you just login, add a payee (just like you add a payee on you online banking), then pay it from there. No fees. If youre in Calgary, the payee name is CALGARY-TAXES

Ive yet to come across a major CC other than Triangle that lets you do it. Like Buster said there are a few fintechs out there that let you do it but they charge a fee, usually like 3% which makes it not worth it unless you have no other options.
    Last edited by sabad66; 12-30-2019 at 02:26 PM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    With Triangle, you just login, add a payee (just like you add a payee on you online banking), then pay it from there. No fees. If youre in Calgary, the payee name is CALGARY-TAXES

Ive yet to come across a major CC other than Triangle that lets you do it. Like Buster said there are a few fintechs out there that let you do it but they charge a fee, usually like 3% which makes it not worth it unless you have no other options.
    So it’s triangle specific. Gotcha.

I tried many times to somehow pay my taxes with CC lol.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

Triangle credit cards have allowed you to pay things that you wouldn't normally be able to pay with a credit card (e.g. property taxes, university tuition) for many years now. There's a huge thread about it (along with a spreadsheet listing all possible payees) here on Red Flag Deals: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/pay-...ck-ct-1149989/

Canadian Tire is well aware of this and in fact encourages it - I've received promotional emails from them where they inform recipients that you can use your Triangle credit card to pay for property taxes, utility bills, and so on. I'm by no means a frequent Canadian Tire/Sportcheck/Mark's shopper but the 1% in CT money that I get from paying my property taxes with the Triangle card isn't something I'll turn down as I'll get around to using the CT money eventually.

ENMAX isn't considered a "recurring bill payment" by Tangerine so I instead have it paid with my Rogers card, netting me only 1.75% back instead of 2%, lol.

And some places that you'd think are restaurants are not considered to be restaurants by Visa/Mastercard, but are considered "grocery" purchases instead. Brewpubs in Alberta and BC seem to be notorious for this, and worst of all, I can't get the bonus cashback I'd get on a credit card for grocery purchases either, lol. For instance I used my Simplii Visa at Inner City Brewing and received 1% cashback because it showed up as a "grocery" purchase on my Simplii bill. Next visit, I use my Triangle card, but only got 1% back (instead of 3%) because although it's still classified as a "grocery" purchase, Inner City Brewing isn't considered a grocery store. I just use my Rogers card now for brewpubs to play it safe

My Ride

Triangle credit cards have allowed you to pay things that you wouldn't normally be able to pay with a credit card (e.g. property taxes, university tuition) for many years now. There's a huge thread about it (along with a spreadsheet listing all possible payees) here on Red Flag Deals: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/pay-...ck-ct-1149989/

Canadian Tire is well aware of this and in fact encourages it - I've received promotional emails from them where they inform recipients that you can use your Triangle credit card to pay for property taxes, utility bills, and so on. I'm by no means a frequent Canadian Tire/Sportcheck/Mark's shopper but the 1% in CT money that I get from paying my property taxes with the Triangle card isn't something I'll turn down as I'll get around to using the CT money eventually.

ENMAX isn't considered a "recurring bill payment" by Tangerine so I instead have it paid with my Rogers card, netting me only 1.75% back instead of 2%, lol.

And some places that you'd think are restaurants are not considered to be restaurants by Visa/Mastercard, but are considered "grocery" purchases instead. Brewpubs in Alberta and BC seem to be notorious for this, and worst of all, I can't get the bonus cashback I'd get on a credit card for grocery purchases either, lol. For instance I used my Simplii Visa at Inner City Brewing and received 1% cashback because it showed up as a "grocery" purchase on my Simplii bill. Next visit, I use my Triangle card, but only got 1% back (instead of 3%) because although it's still classified as a "grocery" purchase, Inner City Brewing isn't considered a grocery store. I just use my Rogers card now for brewpubs to play it safe
    Thanks for the info.

My TD visa infinite does 3% for reoccurring enmax, Telus, and Shaw. Saves me about $21/mth.

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    ute

does anyone know if WJ allows you to change the payment method of a booking, prior to the flight?

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    So it’s triangle specific. Gotcha.

I tried many times to somehow pay my taxes with CC lol.
    CoC doesn't let people pay with CC?
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post
    CoC doesn't let people pay with CC?
    No. Why would they?

CC payments cost money to process, you have no choice but to pay taxes. No incentive for CoC to allow you to pay by CC.

Not sure why anyone would let you pay any kind of taxes by CC.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Axis powers

does anyone know if WJ allows you to change the payment method of a booking, prior to the flight?
    They don’t
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    *The First*

I on the other hand am almost certain they will, but it'll be awkward as shit.
    I think they'll force you to take a "refund" of the first purchase as WestJet dollars and then ring you in the same transaction with whatever wooden nickels you now want to pay with.
    This really isn't that big of a deal if you know you'll spend those credits within a year, but it will take a long time on the phone.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

No. Why would they?

CC payments cost money to process, you have no choice but to pay taxes. No incentive for CoC to allow you to pay by CC.

Not sure why anyone would let you pay any kind of taxes by CC.
    Yes. Most places don't let you pay directly with CC, however, for some lucky reason, the town I live in lets us pay with CC. I walk into the town office and pay directly with my CC. Pretty sweet! But I have to wonder why they seem to be the one-off.

The work around seems to be using Plastiq or a similar service. I have used Plastiq to pay Income Tax before.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Page 78 of 130 FirstFirst ... 68 77 78 79 88 ... LastLast