Quantcast
Uncle Ben's $3k tuner car challenge - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Uncle Ben's $3k tuner car challenge

My Ride
    YZ250

Default Uncle Ben's $3k tuner car challenge

I'm having challenge with a work buddy on who can build the better tuner car for $3000 including the car cost.

We both used to have rice wagons, but have since moved on to larger, slower and lamer domestic vehicles.

So this will be the build thread, I'm not entirely sure on the judging criteria and would like some input from beyonders. The goal is a well rounded tuner car, I'm thinking autocross, dragstrip and beyond vote on overall aesthetics? but would appreciate any input.

We started this about 3 weeks ago, and Ryan was looking at CRX's, civic hatchs, he was looking at 240sx's but they were out of the price range, he mentioned an AE86, but I told him he would have better luck finding a unicorn for our budget... or someone selling an AE86 who has no idea what they have...

I'm of course leaning to FWD mazda's, I love the KL series engines (it's the sound they make) but a KLZE from jdmsource is $1100, so a bit outta my pricerange.... after touring the junkyards I found an engine from a 2002 mazda 626 auto, with the 2.5l KLG4 which puts out 170hp and has a lighter crankshaft then all other KL's by something like 7lbs and at $240 it was a done deal.....pulling it without a hoist was interesting as I had to drop it down and then power lift the front of the car up, put a truck half shaft to hold it up and drag the engine out... but I got her home.

I go into work that following Monday, and told Ryan I got an engine. He was still looking at a wide range of cars, and I started to wonder if he was just pulling my leg on the whole challenge...

FFWD one week later I come in on Monday, he says he's got a car.... I ask what did he get. He says a 1984 toyota corolla SR5...I thought he was bullshitting me, then he told me to come outside and look... for $1500 he found a unicorn, unreal. A low mileage unicorn w/ around 150k on odometer...wow.

I will post pics soon, it's nice shape too. He bought it off some people in Red Deer who've had it in there family for 20+ years and they had no idea what those cars are worth to some people...

Now I on the other hand have already committed to the FWD mazdas, I did strongly consider getting an rx7 after I found out what he got... but RWD be damned my FWD will be better in the winter (I keep telling myself)..

After looking at kijiji for weeks on end, I found something... a 1996 mazda mx-3 with a slipping clutch, the people were asking $1000, then $800 I didn't want to be a total jerk as they were an older couple and they did live in a trailer park so I pitched em $700 and they accepted. The bonus is it comes with a nice set of winters, and 17" tenzo wheels with decent nexen rubber, which I may or may not sell - We'll see.

Pics of the cars coming soon.
    Last edited by Mazstyle; 10-27-2012 at 04:54 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    1.2 GIGAWATT CUISINART POWERED DELOREAN

I'm looking forward to this. So how are you guys going to judge this challenge? Speed, handling or all around performance?
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” -Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-11-2019 at 08:41 AM.

My Ride
    YZ250

Originally posted by projekz
    I'm looking forward to this. So how are you guys going to judge this challenge? Speed, handling or all around performance?
    It's gotta be all around performance, it's too easy to make a single purpose car.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Pretty fun and interesting project idea, kind of sounds like a Top Gear challenge.

For Autocross are you going to be observing vehicle classes or just going by whomever is the quickest through the course?

You should do a summer and winter autocross event with them too. Mabye even time how long it takes you to do a lap on the ice course if SASC offers the ice driver training program this year on Ghost lake (usually Feb).

For beyond judging points you can setup a thread with a voting pole and maybe get an interesting video put together of all the events you participated in with the cars prior creating the poll.

Are you keeping the cars long term btw?
    Some good ideas, the autocross will be strictly who finishes faster overall. (I'm not real familiar with autocross besides watching at race city) But that does make it interesting from who's the better driver aspect, I do feel the cars are pretty competitive in the handling aspect, with perhaps a slight nod to the AE86.

Yes we are keeping these cars, I miss having a little snappy car. And Ryan know's he will never find the car he just got ever again. He could double, maybe triple his money on it but he won't budge (kudos to him) I would be tempted to flip it honestly...

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

SR5 for 1500 is a big deal? You'd shit your pants if I told you what I bought/sold my modded AE86 GTS for.

My Ride
    YZ250

Originally posted by Sentry
    SR5 for 1500 is a big deal? You'd shit your pants if I told you what I bought/sold my modded AE86 GTS for.
    What'd you sell it for?!

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

1900. Had I/H/E, brake upgrades, suspension upgrades. It was a hatch too and they usually command a premium.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by Sentry
    haha no doubt. I must be missing something, or they are triple the price in Alberta than they are in BC.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Subscribing! A couple of my friends wanted to do something like this too but we were going to wait until that racetrack is confirmed and almost finished.

My Ride
    Has AWD

U guys will compete in rallycross too right? If u want more info on that PM me, nothing extra needed vs autocross in order to compete.

My Ride
    '05 Saabaru 9-2X

Originally posted by Mazstyle
    Some good ideas, the autocross will be strictly who finishes faster overall. (I'm not real familiar with autocross besides watching at race city) But that does make it interesting from who's the better driver aspect, I do feel the cars are pretty competitive in the handling aspect, with perhaps a slight nod to the AE86.
    You can always figure out what the classing is for the car and then use the PAX multiplier to adjust it to be "fair."

Then again, depending on what mods you throw at it the both of you could easily end up in the same class. I'd guess you're starting from the same-ish class already (probably H-stock).

Doing something similar with a VW scirocco, I would probably do a straight competition as most of the stock classes use special tires and your FWD will likely land you in a better class depending on what you do. I've been running in STF for the better PAX times since starting this year.

On a side note, is calgary or somewhere close by holding Rallycross this year? I'm not 100% confident a VW I spent $1000 on can make it up to edmonton in december.

this is great, i want many pictures of the work and videos!

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by Kramerica
    On a side note, is calgary or somewhere close by holding Rallycross this year? I'm not 100% confident a VW I spent $1000 on can make it up to edmonton in december.
    Calgary Club still has no rallycross director, until someone steps up........

I hear Lethbridge ran a successful rallycross season last winter, no word if they are running again this winter. From what ive been told edmonton can be a bit of a gong show and the Lethbridge club runs a smoother event.

Just read the Lethbridge sports car club, apparently they lost their venue from last year, doesn't look good.

My Ride
    YZ250

Here's a pic of the Mx-3 I scooped for $700, decent shape overall with low K. Clutch is shot I barely got it home. the nice thing is it came with some decent 17's with nexen rubber, some 15" steelies with winter rubber and only 2 of the factory 5 spoke 15" alloys....

The $240 KLG4 chillin on the hoist,

And I've found local guy selling a brand new set of H&R lowering springs for $150, internet retail is usually $240 plus shipping so a decent deal overall

I've never used this brand but I've heard good things, just need some shocks now.

Also I got a crazy deal on something I've always wanted today, I will post pics when it arrives
    Last edited by Mazstyle; 09-24-2012 at 08:33 PM.

My Ride
    YZ250

The contender:

Great shape, has lower K then I stated earlier it's in the 140k range.

He's looking at a 4age swap right now, I'm keep telling him to go 2jz

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

attaboy jz where its at

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by Mazstyle
    The contender:
    it looks like it's right off the lot brand new

My Ride
    MY97 WRX