Quantcast
Whats more important? Diet, dedication or money - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats more important? Diet, dedication or money

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Question Whats more important? Diet, dedication or money

So I go to anytime fitness and I just started a 4 day split weights program a couple of weeks ago. I noticed that the gym didn't have a couple of the leg machines that the program required (its mostly free weights, except for legs). Anyway I asked the admin person who didn't know anything and directed me to a PT.

The PT suggested I come in for a "free" consultation with him, I was a bit hesitant because I just wanted to know which exercise I should use instead. Anyway I met him yesterday, he measured my body fat,waist measurement, height and weight and then asked me my goals.

My goals are pretty modest - currently 213 I'd like to be 200 or less in 3 months - I think with diet and dedication to a plan its quite achievable, I am already down from 218 to 213 within 5 weeks.

Anyway then the PT asks me what my budget is and if I can work with him 3 times a week, I immediately say that I can work independently to a plan to which he says that I wont achieve my goals unless I spend upwards of 700$ per month with him. This totally turned me off to the whole PT thing because I don't think throwing money at a solution provides a result, I'm sure it can but in my situation it doesn't.

Does beyond think that diet and dedication is enough to succeed in your fitness goals or do you need to spend that much money to lose 10 pounds.
    Last edited by nzwasp; 09-25-2012 at 09:37 AM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

That PT needs to be punched in the face. Consistent training and dieting. Done.

What leg exercises did the program call for?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Lulz, of course having a personal trainer can/will help but if you're looking to drop weight then diet is going to be the bigger part of the matter opposed to dropping $700 on this guy. If you work out 4 days a week and still eat lots of fast food/sugar/high carb intake then the weight isn't just going to shed away.

10 lbs is not that much depending on how hard you're willing to work.

My Ride
    Torqueless wonder!

Well, a PT would probably keep you accountable and push you, and might teach you something.

On the other hand, people on here can point you to a good routine. And by doing research yourself, you might learn even more of the root basics (rather than mindlessly following a program) which can translate into even better routines later. You can tell Beyond or a friend about your goal, and that'll help keep you accountable. $700 sounds extreme for the goal you're trying to achieve, especially if it's the first bit of weight you're trying to trim - changes tend to happen more easily in the beginning.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Yes and especially considering my budget was 0$. Not sure why this guy tried to discuss money etc upfront, I think I prefer people that establish a relationship first before trying it on.

Anyway I follow reddit.com/r/fitness quite a bit and picked up a 4 day split program from there, I looked at the stronglifts program but would prefer proper instruction on how to do a deadlift etc. Whereas the weights program im on now is bicep curls, incline bench, bench, tricep pushdowns, lat pulldowns - lots of things I'm familiar with.

The leg machine they didn't have was a lateral leg raise machine - the exercise he gave me instead was using a swiss ball - of course i'd prefer something I can incorporate weights with.

2Legit2Quit: I havent eaten fast food for 3 weeks, no sugar for 2 weeks, and I seldom eat a tonne of carbs.
    Last edited by nzwasp; 09-25-2012 at 09:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Every time I join a gym, I get a "free consult" with a PT... I have yet to actually take them up on that for this reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

lol fuck that guy... that's such a stupid thing for him to say, he doesn't know your commitment/potential.

Don't get me wrong, PT's have value of course, but if you're already there putting in the effort, and will continualy put in the effort you'll do fine. You just need a kind soul to advise you on big lifts like deadlifts.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Every time I join a gym, I get a "free consult" with a PT... I have yet to actually take them up on that for this reason.
    The free consult isn't a bad thing to be honest haha.. it's part of a sales scheme ya, but it's nice to know where you're starting.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

Diet, Exercise and Dedication... Plain and simple. I lost 65lbs in just over a year doing that alone.

For legs, learn to Squat.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default Re: Whats more important? Diet, dedication or money

Originally posted by nzwasp
    So I go to anytime fitness and I just started a 4 day split weights program a couple of weeks ago. I noticed that the gym didn't have a couple of the leg machines that the program required (its mostly free weights, except for legs). Anyway I asked the admin person who didn't know anything and directed me to a PT.

The PT suggested I come in for a "free" consultation with him, I was a bit hesitant because I just wanted to know which exercise I should use instead. Anyway I met him yesterday, he measured my body fat,waist measurement, height and weight and then asked me my goals.

My goals are pretty modest - currently 213 I'd like to be 200 or less in 3 months - I think with diet and dedication to a plan its quite achievable, I am already down from 218 to 213 within 5 weeks.

Anyway then the PT asks me what my budget is and if I can work with him 3 times a week, I immediately say that I can work independently to a plan to which he says that I wont achieve my goals unless I spend upwards of 700$ per month with him. This totally turned me off to the whole PT thing because I don't think throwing money at a solution provides a result, I'm sure it can but in my situation it doesn't.

Does beyond think that diet and dedication is enough to succeed in your fitness goals or do you need to spend that much money to lose 10 pounds.
    13lbs in 3 months is easy dude. Get your diet in check, learn how to do the big lifts and hit the gym, and have fun.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Balance of diet and training. You don't even have to train at a gym. Any trainer worth his salt can put you in pain without making you lift a wait. Sounds like a money grab.

I used a trainer at Fitness North West and it was a great experience. I'm now at Edgemont club and their trainers are shit. I rarely see them pushing people and the consultation was all about getting me signed up (money) and not my goals.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    NC1

Eat nothing but steamed seafood, chicken breast and vegetables for the next 3months. Get some fiber in there, metamucil or benefiber so you can shit properly. Stay away from simple carbs. Give yourself 1 cheat day a week but don't go crazy.

Cardio and weight lifting is optional.

Watch the weight fall off, thank me later.

Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Diet is pretty much everything. Cardio and muscle building accelerates the process. My BF is a certified personal trainer. He has really revamped my eating habits and both of us have been eating really healthy and looking at portion sizes. I am noticing a big difference in body image, how quickly I recover from stress, how I deal with stress and just overall energy.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by max_boost
    Eat nothing but steamed seafood, chicken breast and vegetables for the next 3months. Get some fiber in there, metamucil or benefiber so you can shit properly. Stay away from simple carbs. Give yourself 1 cheat day a week but don't go crazy.

Cardio and weight lifting is optional.

Watch the weight fall off, thank me later.

except for cardio being optional. You don't want to be the guy that looks good but can't keep up with the ladies.

I actually know people that have this dilemma. It's pretty funny.

For me, diet and actually learning proper technique helped the most.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

If the goal is to lose a bit of weight, you don't need a PT. Easy clean, get exercise, sleep well and it will happen. A PT will help you with your form, learn some new exercise, and push you a bit. Anytime Fitness has nice cardio machines. Free weights area is small IMO, at least in the Creekside location.

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

this is the biggest issue with most personal trainers. Not all though, don't blanket it. Most chain gyms like good life, golds, WHC, etc. the trainers make their bucks on selling $2500 bucks worth of training etc. for most people this is an unrealistic amount of money to spend working out.

I used to work for a company called Simply for Life. The founder of the company was a former body builder who straightened shit out to be healthy. When in London he had to do one of these complimentary sessions to use the free week trial. The trainer told him he needed to lose 50 lbs. This is a guy with body fat of around 12%. The trainer was only looking at BMI.

Besides most trainers in this city only have the weekend warrior can fit-pro. My biggest suggestion for anyone considering a trainer is look for Kines PT's and people with university certs or NSCA.

I get told by trainers what my goals should be, when its you that should establish your goals.

My Ride
    G6

You wanna drop 13 pounds in 12 weeks? I lost about 18 in that time period last year. Same weights (213 to 195). You don't need a PT. Heck, you don't even need to do any sort of crazy dieting. Here is all I did, and it worked wonders for me:
    1) Mon/Wed: One hour of intensive boot camp type class (mix of LIGHT weights for toning and cardio but constantly on the go, few breaks). I took a class, but you can easily replicate the effects off most "intense boot camp" videos on Youtube I'm sure.
    2) Tue/Thu: Running. Not elliptical, not treadmill, none of that BS. Get your body outside and run 30-45 minutes STRAIGHT, no breaks. Hard to start, but easy within a few weeks.
    3) NO processed food for dinner. Only allowed to eat stuff you make from scratch. Doesn't really matter if it's chicken, beef, or whatever type of meat. Veggies/fruits daily, some dairy's alright. I didn't really eat potatoes or pasta (not a big fan), but I had rice when I felt like it with my meat. Cut your lunch portion by ~1/3. NO beer during the week (Sun-Thu). Just stay away from the processed shit and eating out during the week
    4) Fri/Sat: Whatever the heck you feel like, I drank like a fish usually once a week and didn't eat too great. It was my break time.

If your goal is STRICTLY to lose weight, as much cardio as possible will get your metabolism burning like nothing else. Get that going, and your dieting restrictions don't have to be as intense as people have suggested because your body is burning calories in overdrive between workouts!

I made no mention of weight training. Lifting weights is great, but if your goal is straight weight loss, you're wasting time on weights that's better spent on cardio. A little bit of weight training with light weights and a lot of reps is great, but weight lifting is a waste of time for weight loss IMO. It helps, but most people I know who speak highly of it for weight loss only do so because they're too lazy to do a lot of cardio.

My Ride
    TypeR

Originally posted by wintonyk
    this is the biggest issue with most personal trainers. Not all though, don't blanket it. Most chain gyms like good life, golds, WHC, etc. the trainers make their bucks on selling $2500 bucks worth of training etc. for most people this is an unrealistic amount of money to spend working out.

I used to work for a company called Simply for Life. The founder of the company was a former body builder who straightened shit out to be healthy. When in London he had to do one of these complimentary sessions to use the free week trial. The trainer told him he needed to lose 50 lbs. This is a guy with body fat of around 12%. The trainer was only looking at BMI.

Besides most trainers in this city only have the weekend warrior can fit-pro. My biggest suggestion for anyone considering a trainer is look for Kines PT's and people with university certs or NSCA.

I get told by trainers what my goals should be, when its you that should establish your goals.
    The industry I work in has such a bad rep from can-fit pro guys. I think its pretty sad when I see some of the stuff they say/do.

The reasons to get a trainer
    - You are unsure how to reach your goals
    - You dont know how to lift
    - You are a machine warrior
    - The biggest reason (in a health club) Accountability

I would say your goal is very generic and to be honest you should re-think it. Every single person that comes to see me either wants to lose weight or gain weight unless its a special circumstance (sport specific).

The people who think this way usually fail during or directly after hitting there goal. Im not saying its a bad goal but you should have many goals to keep you motivated on a daily basis.

Weight loss is easy tho its basically calories in vs calories out
    3500 calories=1lb of fat
    IG:scboss

My Ride
    TypeR

Originally posted by Feruk
    You wanna drop 13 pounds in 12 weeks? I lost about 18 in that time period last year. Same weights (213 to 195). You don't need a PT. Heck, you don't even need to do any sort of crazy dieting. Here is all I did, and it worked wonders for me:
    1) Mon/Wed: One hour of intensive boot camp type class (mix of LIGHT weights for toning and cardio but constantly on the go, few breaks). I took a class, but you can easily replicate the effects off most "intense boot camp" videos on Youtube I'm sure.
    2) Tue/Thu: Running. Not elliptical, not treadmill, none of that BS. Get your body outside and run 30-45 minutes STRAIGHT, no breaks. Hard to start, but easy within a few weeks.
    3) NO processed food for dinner. Only allowed to eat stuff you make from scratch. Doesn't really matter if it's chicken, beef, or whatever type of meat. Veggies/fruits daily, some dairy's alright. I didn't really eat potatoes or pasta (not a big fan), but I had rice when I felt like it with my meat. Cut your lunch portion by ~1/3. NO beer during the week (Sun-Thu). Just stay away from the processed shit and eating out during the week
    4) Fri/Sat: Whatever the heck you feel like, I drank like a fish usually once a week and didn't eat too great. It was my break time.

If your goal is STRICTLY to lose weight, as much cardio as possible will get your metabolism burning like nothing else. Get that going, and your dieting restrictions don't have to be as intense as people have suggested because your body is burning calories in overdrive between workouts!

I made no mention of weight training. Lifting weights is great, but if your goal is straight weight loss, you're wasting time on weights that's better spent on cardio. A little bit of weight training with light weights and a lot of reps is great, but weight lifting is a waste of time for weight loss IMO. It helps, but most people I know who speak highly of it for weight loss only do so because they're too lazy to do a lot of cardio.
    When it comes to weight loss I believe weight training makes it way easier. The more muscle you have the higher your metabolic rate, the higher your metabolic rate the more calories you burn doing nothing.

Losing fat is awesome but if you got no muscle underneath then what are you aiming for. Do you only care about the number or how you look?

Holy shit.. Who the hell is this PT thats chargeing 700 a month LOL???
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    TypeR

Originally posted by JAYMEZ
    Holy shit.. Who the hell is this PT thats chargeing 700 a month LOL???
    Haha I think it all depends on how many time a month you are seeing him. If someone saw me 5 days a week it would be over 1k for one month. Gym takes a massive cut

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast