Quantcast
OMG - The innocence of Muslims. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: OMG - The innocence of Muslims.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1909911.html

The Piss Christ is on display in New York right now. I await the riots in the South.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by syritis
    I see nothing wrong with religion as a whole as long as people can interpret the meaning and let that lead them to become better people.

I see so much wrong with people who use no logic or reason of their own and obey the word of the cloth like a mindless army of sheep. when this mentality leads to blood shed it nothing but an excuse for small minded people to outlet their sociopath tendencies.
    Saved me the time of writing pretty much exactly that.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by 403Gemini
    And on the flip side, athesists are becoming the new Jehova's with insisting and pushing their beliefs on others - are they correct? Likely so, but somebody worshipping a God - WHO KEEPS IT TO THEMSELVES - are better than the loud mouth idiot atheist who feels self righteous.
    I've noticed this as well, quite annoying.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by Modelexis

It would be just a general lack of respect, it would not advocate violence or condemnation. It would simply say that other religions are not to be automatically respected. This is not to say one should actively bring disrespect to the religion, just that respect is something to be earned and is not granted for no reason.

Your mother taught you to respect all religion for really no other reason but to not allow your integrity to clash with the beliefs of another, my mother taught me that respect is earned and should only be given to ideologies that are worthy of it.
    Grown men following a book of fairytales based on their parents beliefs unfortunately does not strike me as anything particularly respectable.

In the same way, I do not respect Nazism or Racism or Homophobia. These are ideologies but I do not grant them respect because my mother told me to respect different ideologies.

Studying religion and rejecting the teachings of your parents to me is something that deserves respect, thinking for yourself and not following a crowd.
    That is something I respect. Calling a spade a spade, even when it might hurt someones feelings or cause them distress, that is something that can be respected.

And just like all the world religions it would be the extremists who would then take your "message" and then twist it, meld it as so they can use violence to get your message across...so right off the bat having a religion with the ideals of disrespecting other faiths and ideologies will turn into a bad idea. That being said...If you choose to start a religion and can present it in an educated and eloquent manner...yes, I will be tolerant and respectful of it.

No my mother taught me that everyone right off the bat is deserving of your respect. Yes perhaps it should be earned...but until you illustrate to me otherwise, you and anyone I encounter in my life will have my full respect right from the get go. I feel this (at least from how I perceive my life and my own philosophies) has worked for me and my 32 years on this planet.

This "book of fairytales" you elude to though. Whether the book is the Torah, the Bible, the Quran, the Bhagavad Gita, the Guru Granth Sahib, or Curious George...is that persons choice to follow or not follow. Yes, I believe that following anything blindly, a religion, a sports team, the car in front of you, is a poor choice of one's free will and the intellect that human's have.

During my undergrad I studied religion. And not just Islamic Studies, but western and eastern religions. I took in all the information that I could. I drew parallels and similarities within them, and also learned and saw where the differences were. I learned the histories of them, why people chose them (yes the yearning as human's to "fit in" was a particularly large reason) and I still followed the teachings of islam. I still decided on the religious path that I am on now. So is that then not "deserving of your respect"??...

Whatever path anyone chooses to follow is their choice. As long as harm doesn't befall people who for whatever their reasons and choices chose particular paths. And that is how I feel it should be. I will never ever force my religion down anyone's throats. I will never ever call out anyone's religion and/or beliefs and say that they are wrong because they do not align with mine. Heck, even within islam itself as a large umbrella there are differing schools of thought, and ideas. As within any of the Abrahamic faiths. And that is what it is.

It has been said time and time again that people are the worst thing to ever happen to religion. And when I see statements like some that have been made in this thread, and videos, comics, news articles on the internet from ALL sides I couldn't agree more.
    ...@therealarifjina...

Originally posted by ekguy
    I'm just as sick of muslims as I am christians, catholics, jews, mormons, jehova's....they are all wrong, they will always be wrong...too bad they are all so busy spreading the greatest joke humanity has ever played on itself...fucking pathetic.

I love all religions...if you STFU about it and just do your best to be a good human. THAT is all that matters and teaching others that message is the only reason religions should exist IMO..

Extremists and people that get offended when others make fun of their fictitious holy ones makes me LOL...

You don't see teenagers killing and rioting when people say Twilight sucks, do you?

My beliefs, as long as they don't hurt others, are my business. Preach otherwise or try to convert me and I get rude to you.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

I love all religions...

But that is because you are multigrain haha...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    is wild

Haters gonna hate whatever the excuse

Reasons why Drumheller area wouldn't make a good race track venue...

Originally posted by Agera_56
    My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

Originally posted by EK 2.0

But that is because you are multigrain haha...
    True.

Durka durka, mohammed jihad!!

My Ride
    G6

I think anyone that uses religion to justify violence or oppression is a fucking joke. Be it Islamist extremists or some of these Tea Party psychopaths down south. Just another justification for greed and violence. Religion isn't bad, people are bad.

As for this video and the reaction, both seem pretty pathetic to me, but more so the reaction. Somebody made a really poor and generally retarded video denouncing your prophet... let's burn down some embassies and kill people! I'm not a Muslim, but I suspect the religion has rules against exactly that course of action.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by EK 2.0
    I will never ever call out anyone's religion and/or beliefs and say that they are wrong because they do not align with mine.
    I agree here, people have the right to believe whatever they want, even if they want to believe Elvis is still alive or whatever.

My big problem is:
    1. Asserting that your god exists and has any effect on the universe
    2. Teaching kids religion is true

The first it not subjective, there is objective ways to disprove a theory of the existence of a god.
    The second is evil and I don't respect anyone who indoctrinates children into their religion or any religion before they are given the tools to make up their own mature mind.

Also, I do respect the fact that you researched different religions when making your decision, but this doesn't change the fact that I do not respect religion.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

But teaching kids that religion is true should not be your problem, nor should you have issues with that. It is akin to telling a mother when she should stop breastfeeding. Or a father who says his son should wait until 16 to start shaving instead of 14.

Yes, I was "born" into an islamic family. Yes, I was told that religion is important to one's life. Yes, I followed what my parents, grandparents, and subsequently their parents believed in. No, I cannot speak for all people who follow religion, but I was encouraged even from a very young age to ask questions about my faith, and about the faith of my friends and even family members who chose different paths for whatever reason. I was told and helped out to go and find answers to my questions. And there were times where there weren't concrete answers to things. And those questions will always remain.

It is, has been and always will be up to the individual to decide for themselves if anything is right for them...if they choose to be mindless about things from how to tie their laces, all the way up to the topic of religion that is no one's business but theirs...and shouldn't bother anyone else around them. The issue arises when they are at the extreme end of the spectrum...and others are being hurt by their thoughts, actions, and how they think their views should be shared.

When you were in kindergarten, it didn't matter what religion billy was, or that jaginder was wearing a cloth wrapped around his head, or that elisha wore a head scarf, that issac's dad had bad ass looking sideburns and beard. But as we grew older we grew less and less tolerant because we felt that we knew best..and that things should be how we want them to be. And lo and behold...that is what religion was preaching to their respective masses...so really who were the wiser??..those who followed quietly like sheep or those who went against the grain??

I find that people that have the biggest issues about these sorts of things are the ones who are actually the sheep...and not the ones who are "following their mom's and dad's fairytale book"...

And for the record...I didn't research and learn to help me with my decision...I did it for a higher GPA in school...but as a side was able to make sure that the path my parents put me on was the one that would work out best for me...and the one I was most comfortable with. Yes, there are religions out there that hold values and traits that are shared by all...and there are ones out there that have some cool things to share. But what is stopping anyone from practicing a faith and still using tenants from other faiths in their daily lives??...nothing...

All I am saying is that no one should have an issue with whatever anyone else wants to do...unless it brings harm to those around them. That is where lines need to be drawn...and that isn't about this religion versus that religion...that is a moral and ethical issue....
    ...@therealarifjina...

^word, Whole Wheat.

See I believe in a higher power/god/jesus etc but I don't believe in letting religion decide things for me or inform my actions or let my beliefs create a scapegoat. I believe foremost that the humans we can see and touch and meet in person are the ones we are to respect most. Groups of people getting together to talk about a faith is secondary, hence why I don't go to church...there are other things to do and talk about in our short lives other than "who we worship"...how about getting out and actually DOING the things we spend ridiculous amounts of time talking about???

Just help others, be kind to others, stop fucking yapping about the deity that SAYS to.

Meh...To each their own, as long as it doesn't mess with my life or hurt people.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

A big problem I have is the common practice of christians teaching children about 'hell' and eternal punishment. Subjects that they have no way of knowing to be true, but in fact can be proved to be false.

These religions use their books as tools to frighten children into being obedient and preventing them from going against the rules of the book.

Zorro, you believe in a higher power or god or whatever, but you cannot claim that these entities actually exist, well, you can claim that but it would not be objectively true.
    You can like the idea of a god, or jesus, or like thinking that they exist, but this is very different from them actually existing in real life.

I can entertain the funny idea that 2+2 can equal 5 and I might even believe it does, but if I try to assert that to be the truth I will find that I can be objectively proved wrong, and I won't hesitate to tell you you're wrong. Also, I will not respect your assertion that this is the truth, I will oppose it and correct your logical error.

So if I take the chrstian god for example, if someone makes the claim that an all knowing all powerful being who is everywhere and nowhere and cannot be detected with any of the senses or aids to the senses, who has the ability to predict the future etc. I can pretty easily prove this to be a logical error. In order for something to exist in reality it needs to fit a certain criteria. This description of a god fails to meet the criteria needed for something to pass a theory of existence.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 09-29-2012 at 06:08 PM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

Modellexis, kindly STFU...you never read people's posts properly and this blind ignorance has you forcing your atheist nature upon ME. I don't CARE that you can disprove god or whatever the fuck else your one dimensional mind can prove or disprove. I didn't ASK for your permission to believe in what I believe in and I'm certainly not interested in your math about it.

Thanks.

Fuck, you're worse than a vegan. Seriously. Worse.

Lots of typing from the Muslims but no condemnation of the violence. Sad.

A big problem I have is the common practice of christians teaching children about 'hell' and eternal punishment. Subjects that they have no way of knowing to be true, but in fact can be proved to be false.
    No, they can't. Absence of evidence does not equal proof. You can make an educated assertion based on a lack of evidence but you can't 'prove' a negative.

So if I take the chrstian god for example, if someone makes the claim that an all knowing all powerful being who is everywhere and nowhere and cannot be detected with any of the senses or aids to the senses, who has the ability to predict the future etc. I can pretty easily prove this to be a logical error. In order for something to exist in reality it needs to fit a certain criteria. This description of a god fails to meet the criteria needed for something to pass a theory of existence.
    You're falling into the same problem. Perhaps God can be detected with aids to the senses but we haven't developed the technology to do it. Perhaps God designed our senses to interpret him as different things. I can't prove them for the same reason you can't disprove them.

Using the same logic you just posited, DNA didn't exist until 1869 because it also wouldn't have met the criteria to pass a theory of existence.

My Ride
    15,000 red line

These religions use their books as tools to frighten children into being obedient and preventing them from going against the rules of the book.
    Unless someone is brought up in a religious family, there's no possibility that an individual can accept a certain faith? Never heard of grown men/ women (athiests or with other beliefs) convert?

Just out of curiosity, is there a word similar to "Antisemitism" that we can use here to represent hate against Muslims?

Originally posted by dodgecaliber
    With such high values of freedom of speech, how come I don't see many Canadians condemning Canadian delegate walk out prior to Iran's UN speech? Bit hypocritical?

You do realize negative sells? Anyhow, first page of Google search gave me these:

http://iqra.ca/2012/north-american-m...-ignore-video/

http://www.dominionofnewyork.com/201.../#.UGejdk3A-UM

http://www.wjla.com/video/2012/09/lo...ya-attack.html

http://www.classichitsandoldies.com/...i-muslim-film/

http://current.com/shows/the-young-t...-not-the-movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs2aZLO8qlQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr3bjFkF_2A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0mTKmuuC8k

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

You didn't condemn the violence either, but felt your peanut gallery comment was worth posting...

Don't fall off of your soapbox as you step down...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    Silverado

Welcome back troll. Enjoy this username for the next week.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast