Quantcast
Skydiver Attempts to Break Sound Barrier (Red Bull Stratos) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Skydiver Attempts to Break Sound Barrier (Red Bull Stratos)

My Ride
    05 Civic

Default Skydiver Attempts to Break Sound Barrier

An Austrian adventurer is preparing to skydive from a balloon flying 37 km above New Mexico on Tuesday, seeking to break a long-standing altitude record - and the sound barrier - in the process.

Felix Baumgartner, a 43-year-old helicopter pilot, hot-air balloonist and professional skydiver, would become the first person to freefall from that high up in the stratosphere, a region more like the vacuum of space than the oxygen-rich atmosphere closer to Earth.

Weather will be key. Baumgartner’s team decided to wait out a cold front moving through the area on Monday before launching the massive but fragile helium balloon that will carry him to an altitude of 36,576 meters above Roswell, New Mexico.

If the weather is good, the balloon will be launched at dawn on Tuesday, around 7 a.m. New Mexico time. It takes about 2.5 to 3 hours to reach 36,576 meters.

The 850,000-cubic-meter plastic balloon, which is about one-tenth the thickness of a Ziploc bag, cannot handle winds greater than 9.7 km/h. The balloon will carry a specially made space capsule where Baumgartner will spend the ride into the stratosphere.

Baumgartner hopes to break the current record of 31,333 meters for the highest-altitude freefall, a milestone set in 1960 by U.S. Air Force Colonel Joe Kittinger.

By jumping from 36,576 meters Baumgartner will also break the sound barrier. With virtually no air to cushion his fall, he is expected to reach the speed of sound, which is 1,110 km/h at that altitude, after about 35 seconds of freefall.

He will stay supersonic for nearly a minute and should freefall for a total of 5 minutes and 35 seconds.

When Baumgartner jumps from the capsule, the position of his body will be crucial, since there is no air for him to move around in. If he falls in a way that puts him into a rapid spin, Baumgartner could pass out and risk damaging his eyes, brain and cardiovascular system.

Baumgartner’s safety gear includes a custom spacesuit to protect him from the low pressure and the extreme cold. Temperatures are expected to be as low as about -57 C.

The near-vacuum puts him at risk of ebullism, a potentially lethal condition in which fluids in the body turn to gas and the blood literally boils. Severe lung damage could occur within minutes.

Helicopters equipped with newly developed instruments to treat lung damage will be standing by during Baumgartner’s skydive.

“What we’re doing here is not just a record attempt. It’s a flight test program,” project adviser Jonathan Clark, a medical doctor and former NASA flight surgeon, told reporters during a news conference on Monday.

Among those interested in the spacesuit research are commercial companies developing spaceships for passenger travel. The research could help people survive a high-altitude accident.

Clark’s wife, shuttle Columbia astronaut Laurel Clark, died along with six crewmates when the spaceship broke apart over Texas on Feb. 1, 2003, as it headed for a landing in Florida.

Baumgartner’s jump is sponsored by Red Bull, which will be webcasting the event live at redbullstratos.com.
    http://www.calgaryherald.com/technol...856/story.html

I am looking forward to seeing if he gets it

Stream of it here:

http://www.redbullstratos.com/live

As of this post, A little over an hour until the stream resumes.

My Ride
    You Crazy

That's pretty cool.

Cooler yet is the existing record has stood since 1960!!!

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Same guy tried to break the record two years ago but I'm pretty sure the capsule was "accidently" released without him in it.

My Ride
    old Toyotas

Was just gonna post this. This is some cool stuff. Kittinger's jump 50 years ago was damn impressive as well.

Direct youtube live stream.

Balloon size

This was an earlier test jump from 18 miles.

Goodluck Felix!

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

That's pretty crazy. I wonder what his chute is made out of?

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

So is there an eta for take off?

My Ride
    Accord

Safe to say they aren't taking off at 7am..

Edit: 5 more minutes
    Last edited by chibwack; 10-09-2012 at 11:31 AM.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

5-minute countdown just started, presumably that's when they start filling the balloon.

Countdown has started... guess we don't get to see the inflation of balloon?
    ---

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Obviously he has this figured out but I though terminal velocity dictated that he can only go so fast? How does he get going faster than terminal velocity? Maybe I just misundertand the concept?

Edit: Is it because at that altitude there is less air thereby increasing the terminal velocity limit due to a lack of resistance?

Edit 2: Looks like I was right. So what about heat generated by the re-entering of the atmosphere (or maybe he's not far enough out for that to be an issue)?
    Last edited by Masked Bandit; 10-09-2012 at 11:41 AM.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    Obviously he has this figured out but I though terminal velocity dictated that he can only go so fast? How does he get going faster than terminal velocity? Maybe I just misundertand the concept?
    Terminal velocity depends on the density of the fluid you're falling through. The atmosphere where he will be jumping from is very thin compared to the atmosphere at the Earth's surface, so his terminal velocity up there will be much higher.

My Ride
    05 Civic

Since he is jumping from so high up, the air is thinner and allows him to travel faster. Problem with this is that he can start to spin during the fall, which will fuck with his whole body if it happens.

He is supposed to hit the sound barrier within a minute or so of jumping.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

I'm far from an expert but shouldn't your terminal velocity should be faster with less air resistance?

He's going to be jump into basically a vaccum.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Edit: Is it because at that altitude there is less air thereby increasing the terminal velocity limit due to a lack of resistance?

...messed up post.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Terminal velocity is determined by wind resistance. That high up, no air means no resistance, means that 9.81m/s (squared) acceleration till he starts hitting atmosphere and is braked by wind resistance.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I believe, in simple terms, the anticipated speed will be reached prior to the friction of oxygen/atmosphere slowing him down?

EDIT - dammit codetrap and your quicker than me book smarts!
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    old Toyotas

Showing the balloon being filled now but the damn wind is blowing it hard. Might even delay it again.

EDIT: ah fuck they delayed it for today. Its going on tomorrow.
    The balloon is too big so the wind really affects.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Aborted

Surprised it took that long to abort the mission, it's so windy.
    ---

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Edit 2: Looks like I was right. So what about heat generated by the re-entering of the atmosphere (or maybe he's not far enough out for that to be an issue)?

Heat generated by friction is caused by gravity dragging the body through the fluid (air), so similarly to how it affects terminal velocity, the thinner air creates less friction as he passes through it. He will have a parachute open, so his descent into the thicker atmosphere will be a fairly leisurely rate compared to the speeds needed to cause significant heat.

That wind is definitely causing some issues with the balloon today. Scrubbed.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast