Quantcast
kijiji mechanics vs shops - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: kijiji mechanics vs shops

Default kijiji mechanics vs shops

Im using shops for now on, just cause a Kijiji mechanic says hes licensed doesnt mean anything. But i figure if theyre licensed and have the experience that they claim, then why arent they working out of a shop. Anyway, Im getting sick of mistakes being made and a lot of times not being able to get a hold of them to fix it or they end up closing down cause a lot of these guys work from their house and dont have any insurance so neighbours will usually always complain and get them shut down.

They can say they warranty all their work but if theyre out of their garage and dont pay insurance then good chance they end up getting complaints.

Shops are double the cost (usually $110+) vs kijiji mechs ($50-60). Have you always found it worth it just to pay up for a legit shop and you get what you pay for. Im not saying there isnt any good independant mechs on kijiji but its a hit and miss and big risk.

My Ride
    EK Civic Si

theres one mechanic on there he's mobile his name is Alex, good fella

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

If the shop screws up you have recourse, if the kijij mech screws up you're screwed. I guess it depends on the job.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Nothing

People actually go to kijiji mechanics? i think that has to be worse than going to crappy tire for service
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

I've use a guy named Claude a couple times, has a little shop near Cross Roads Farmers Market, honest fellow and did the work correctly with pictures at half the price. Even installed new thermostat and some other goodies in my old Integra while doing the ball joints for cheap. I used one guy named Dave way back, I see him time from time out and about... total tweeker and tried telling me once he was done that he price was 100 bucks more than what he told me prior. I had to show him his text msg's regarding what he said he'd charge . left a mess in my drive way... total crack head.....

Originally posted by M.alex
    People actually go to kijiji mechanics? i think that has to be worse than going to crappy tire for service
    Depends who you get really lol... Crappy tire charged me 130 dollars and couldnt find my coolant leak....2 hrs later I found it on my own ...
    That being said I need my o-ring and rad plug on my sw changed when it arrives also need y new thermostat and gasket installed .....any takers =p

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

I think Right Price Auto has a rate of like 65 dollars. I had an OPI done there for only 110 bucks. Thats the cheapest actual shop I can think of.

Edit: Just checked, $69/hr. Pretty greasy place but it's gotta be better than a kijiji "mechanic" lol
    Last edited by Sentry; 10-10-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Hey Automats, I know you pm'd me earlier but try giving Claude a call. His number is 403-922-3534 I used him a year ago a couple times with my 94 Integra. Mentioning Kijiji just refreshed my mind lol If he does the work I know youll be happy. Think I may call him about my coolant flush...

Originally posted by egmilano
    Hey Automats, I know you pm'd me earlier but try giving Claude a call. His number is 403-922-3534 I used him a year ago a couple times with my 94 Integra. Mentioning Kijiji just refreshed my mind lol If he does the work I know youll be happy. Think I may call him about my coolant flush...
    Sorry Man, my car is already at a shop right now. Fuckin whole timing belt job and have to rip the whole thing apart plus replace the valve gasket and all the seals inside cause the dumbass mech who did it didnt install it right so my spark plugs and coils are soaked in oil So have to replace spark plugs too cause my spark plugs have wear on them already and clean and dry the coils as best as they can.

Not happy at all! Having to repay for the labour and parts all over again! Going to leave a huge dent in my wallet
    Last edited by AutoMats; 10-10-2012 at 12:51 PM.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by Wehbeast
    theres one mechanic on there he's mobile his name is Alex, good fella
    I really hope you're not talking about the guy who drives a big white van and does mobile mechanics only. I used him on a work truck a few years ago that was stuck out in springbank and he was useless.

BTW, I used Broken Axle for everything, but I needed a mobile guy right then and there, needed to be done that night.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-11-2019 at 08:45 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I use "real" shops only, but I always prefer to use smaller independant shops. Never Canadian Tire, Midas or other chains.

Ocasionally will go to a dealer, but mostly, I have my local guy, he has three mechanics I belive. He's quick, honest and he's always done a good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by ddduke

I really hope you're not talking about the guy who drives a big white van and does mobile mechanics only. I used him on a work truck a few years ago that was stuck out in springbank and he was useless.

BTW, I used Broken Axle for everything, but I needed a mobile guy right then and there, needed to be done that night.
    That might be Cam, theres a guy on Kijiji who always advertises as a pure mobile mechanic. He lives in Kincora.

My Ride
    cbr600, z71 sierra, 4x4 kodiak

I met a really gOod bike mechanic on kijiji and also a car one that's likes 40/ hour. Think that alex guy might have done my timing belt
    Hittin' every hole

1999 gmc sierra z71, 5.3L 4x4
    2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

My Ride
    old Toyotas

I've had Alex work on one of my last cars. He did the job fine. If its the same guy we're talking about, he has his own shop now in bridgeland last time I checked. Ansel motors.

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

Alt of mechanics only work 40 hours a week, so they have lots of time to work on cars on the side for extra cash.

Try and get a few references and tell them you want to see there papers.

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

He sold that shop in Brigeland. Hes a decent mechanic and guy..but he gets way too busy, overbooks, is unorganized, and then his service gets shittty. Me personally, Ive had nothing but crackheads and retards show up off Kijiji. Never again.
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Currently I take my cars to Honda West, Broken Axle or Fountain Tire (near Chinook) when they need maintenance/work I either can't do myself or don't have time for. Those are really the only shops I trust in town.
    Haha, we use the exact same people then. Honda West for the parents Accord, Broken Axle for the Jeep, parts and soon the truck, Chinook Fountain Tire for tire stuff.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    TFountain Tire (near Chinook)
    Originally posted by FraserB

Chinook Fountain Tire for tire stuff.
    The one on Fairmount? I don't know how you guys trust them, unless they've changed hands in the past 5 years, they're a bunch of idiots.

I ordered a set of tires from them, paid for it, went out to my truck and they were the wrong ones. Went back inside and asked wtf? They said the ones I wanted were no longer available, and these were just as good because his neighbor has had them for years . Manager refused to do anything for me, and wouldn't take them back.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Macleod and Glenmore.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast