Quantcast
Amanda Todd: Bullied Canadian Teen Commits Suicide After Prolonged Battle Online(NSFW - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Amanda Todd: Bullied Canadian Teen Commits Suicide After Prolonged Battle Online(NSFW

My Ride
    Acura TL, Toyota Supra

Originally posted by JAYMEZ

Not really..

Darwin comment maybe.. But people really need to learn to adapt and better themselves.. People who commit suicide are fucking morons.
    He is an idiot and you are wrong.

Just wondering how many of the posters in this thread are actually at that point in their life where they are the parents of a teenaged kid? Being a 20 something and less then a decade out of high school certainly puts one in a place closer to where this girl might have been but at the same time, most people at the tender age of 20 something or less have not much of a clue about parenting and the challenges that brings with it.

That said, there is much wrong that happened way before this girl got to the point of making a video or taking a few pictures and some of this has to lie at the feet of this girl's parents. Have almost lived this shit through very close family and only several very serious interventions by the parents of said close family have put their at-risk girl back on the straight and narrow or so we hope.

As parents with two boys now at the UofC and a girl in grade 9, we are all too well aware of the crap that can happen and is happening - we have seen it first hand with too many other families, families where there is no communication, no trust and too much heavy fisted control. Parenting is self taught - there are no magical books to guide you despite what many day-time talk shows would like us to believe. Denying kids stuff or controlling their every movement is just as much a bad news recipe as being way out of touch or giving a child everything they desire - it's a delicate balance that has an ever moving fulcrum, get it somewhat right and you'll have kids that will grow up to be wonderful, independent and respectful human beings.

This girl - like I said before, there is much wrong that happened. There was probably much that was happening when this girl was 4 or 6 or 8 - much that should have been addressed but wasn't because the parents themselves possibly weren't capable of recognizing or didn't want to acknowledge their situation for what it was. This, in reality, should be about much more than bullying, way way more than bullying.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Lexus

Originally posted by JAYMEZ
    Are society is just fucked up... Stories like this are sad.. But I mean fuck , why would she not delete her fb .. Done and done.

Also bullying has always happened like this. When I moved to Canada , I got bullied because I had a british accent , I came home one day with a black eye and my dad asked me what happened . I said some boys beat me up and took my jacket .. He asked why I didnt fight because and I said I didnt want to get in trouble .. He then told me if anyone ever did that to me again , I had permission to punch them back.. So the next day same guys tried again and I kicked all there asses . Never was bullied ever again in my life..

I think kids are to sheltered with way to many helicopter parents.. They never learn to do things for themselves and just run and hide.
    my newphew stays with me. i always tell him, if i find out he bullied somebody, i will kick his ass.
    Also, if he got bullied by somebody and dont fight back, i will kick his ass even harder.

My Ride
    LHD CYM R1 FD3S

LOL @ Keeping teens off the internet.. How hard is it for them to tell you they are going to the library an head to net cafe instead? Or even a friend's house who has internet..

Originally posted by clem24

I thought she was just flashing tits? Where are you guys getting stories about her sleeping around?
    Comments from her former classmates on various sites, I guess she was looking for attention in the wrong kind of way. There wasn't only a picture of her going around the schools apparently, which makes sense considering this is way overblown for just 1 topless pic.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by A3GTiVR6SC
    LOL @ Keeping teens off the internet.. How hard is it for them to tell you they are going to the library an head to net cafe instead? Or even a friend's house who has internet..
    Everyone's child is their perfect special snowflake.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by speedog
    we are all too well aware of the crap that can happen and is happening - we have seen it first hand with too many other families, families where there is no communication, no trust and too much heavy fisted control.
    THIS!!!

I *MONITOR* my daughters viewing habits, and the games she plays. Then we talk about what she watches and plays. She's too young for the internet (can't read yet), but I show her stuff now and then, and then we talk about it, what it means, and why we do and don't look/say certain things.

I don't believe I'll be able to control my daughter's choices, but I can certainly guide her to make good choices on her own. I already do, and it shows.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

I'm with rage2 on this one. I feel terrible that she took her life, but I'm not crazy about glamourizing this, as it will likely lead to copy cats in the future.

I was bullied big time for being the only brown kid at my school. I was called a "Paki" all the time. No question it got to me, and put me down at the time. But looking back, those experiences made me so much stronger today. I've confronted most of those bullies, and guess what, most of them are nobodies, but they were pretty nice now surpisingly.

I absolutely condemn bullying, however it requires not only the ones being bullied to speak up, but the passive bystanders to speak up also.

Rage put it perfectly, when he suggested that this board is full of hypocrites. Bullying happens on here all the time, and now suddenly a few of you are sympathetic. I guess we never realize that we in fact are the bullies.
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

I think, as many people have stated, the difference between being bullied / ridiculed today vs 10-15 years ago is two very completely different things.

The power of technology allows sharing of information instantly. Some people can deal, some people can't. Not everyone has the same emotional strength, it's as simple as that. Not everyone can just "man up and take it". I used to say the same thing to my dad who's a clinical psychologist and just being around has shown / proved to me that some people just don't have that ability.

The thing that sickens me most about this is the attention seekers posting rude and distasteful comments on her memorial page. Makes me a bit sad for the world and never want to have kids.
    "I think 90% of motorcycle racing is between the ears." -Kevin Schwantz

Originally posted by tawheed
    I think, as many people have stated, the difference between being bullied / ridiculed today vs 10-15 years ago is two very completely different things.

The power of technology allows sharing of information instantly. Some people can deal, some people can't. Not everyone has the same emotional strength, it's as simple as that. Not everyone can just "man up and take it". I used to say the same thing to my dad who's a clinical psychologist and just being around has shown / proved to me that some people just don't have that ability.

The thing that sickens me most about this is the attention seekers posting rude and distasteful comments on her memorial page. Makes me a bit sad for the world and never want to have kids.
    Totally agree with your first statement. The "Internet" does not comply with, "I fucked up, and everyone will forget my mistake in a few months".

In regards to your final sentence:

You're not alone.

Most "educated" people are not shitting out babies. The average "starve to death" African woman puts out about 8 newborns over the course. Most of which will die a slow and painful starvation death.

My Ride
    4 doors, 4 cylinders

Originally posted by 89coupe
    How did she have access to the Internet after the first incident? What the hell were her parents doing?

I believe suicide is a disorder, a brain malfunction caused by severe trauma, drugs, etc.

Very sad
    My thoughts exactly. While it's a sad story, how the hell was this girl still on Facebook?? What were her parents doing? If I ever had the cops come to my house to tell me my daughters boobs were posted all over the internet, she would be deleting everything not school related, and only allowed monitored computer access.

Yet, after the shit storm, she still sees people tagging her in pictures on Facebook, which means she still goes on it.... like, HELLO, PARENTING? Are you on vacation, or just permanently AWOL? WTF?

Her second last card 'I have nobody, I need somebody'.... UHHHHH MOM? DAD??? Wanna field this one? No? Okay, now she's dead.

There is no way this girl could deal with that all on her own, she needed SOME guidance. I know if I got piled on like that, my folks would have stepped in for sure.
    Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

here's her mom speaking out, sheds a little light on some things

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Am...521/story.html

Originally posted by WhippWhapp
    Let's take your posted quote to the fullest extent:

A child is raped/murdered/abused etc, but that makes them stronger?

WTF?

Well after reading the article from the Ottawa Sun or w/e i'll clarify a couple of points that were brought up.

1. She did indeed contact police, they were unable to trace this person who kept threatening her.
    2. It was a stalker, who kept adding people from her new schools saying that he was a new student and wanted to get to know people so he would add people at the school to spread the video/pictures.
    3. Clearly a pedophile and he would use 2 to blackmail her in attempts to get her to show more.

I can't see many of you being openly able to deal with a pedophilic stalker at the age of 14, especially as a teenage girl.

I've read a bit into this and she could have prevented this in many different ways. Her parents could have as well. I feel bad someone died but am not sympathetic at all. You put yourself in a situation and kept making it worse for yourself instead of doing something about it.

My Ride
    Nothing

Originally posted by BigDannyCool
    here's her mom speaking out, sheds a little light on some things

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Am...521/story.html
    “Every time she moved schools he would go undercover and become a Facebook friend.
    How about not fvcking having a facebook then and reporting online where you live and what school you just moved to.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

So... tell your daughters not to show their titties to strangers, instill in them a sense of class and morality. Make them value their own personal PR enough to not do that kind of thing, and it won't snowball into this.

Agree with 89coupe that the parents missed a few things here. You have to spend time with your kids, no matter how busy your workday is.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    2006 Civic Si

“It was horrendous. I think about it now and I think, ‘Oh my God. How did she survive this long with the pain?’ ”

I guess it's a shock to mom that her kid lived for as long as she did. I guess she should've off'd herself earlier.
    Last edited by GQNammer; 10-13-2012 at 09:25 PM.
    Originally posted by King Banana

So confused, how do you get the other menu, is there like a secret chinese handshake, or do you need to bring in a jar of blood from a chinese daughter?
    I need like a how-to - order chinese food for white people.

Originally posted by Nissanaddict

Says the guy who said

If you've ever been around people who have these sorts of problems, you would know that it's not just a matter of dropping it. Your comment is both insensitive and ignorant. Have you ever had any depressed friends? Was your reaction to tell them to stop being a pussy? If so, I'm sure they thought your insight was profound as fuck.

You kidding me? I just had a friend kill himself over a fuckin girl this summer. Dont fuckin tell me other wise you little dumbass.

LOL people who are depressed 99 percent of the time put themselves in it. Fuck I suffer from Maniac depression and ADHD . I take the proper medicine and practices to not let it get the better of me. Ive been through more tramatic shit than the majority of the people I know.. I am not going to turn that depression on myself and kill myself .. Not only does it your existent , it fucks your family and friends over more than anything.

You ever have a selfish friend kill themself? Have you ever been to a funeral where you have to see your best friends mom cry none stop .. Follow her son out the church and fall over crying when the coffin was loaded in the car?

Suicide is preventable , sucidide is fuckin selfish.. You can go fuck yourself if you think other wise. K thank

And back to the main post. Yes this is very sad and she shouldnt have been close to even wanting to commit suicide , I have no idea why she didn't get rid of facebook and all that crap. This story doesnt add up.
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast