Quantcast
The rage2 Car Less for a Week Challenge (started - Dec 3-9) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The rage2 Car Less for a Week Challenge (started - Dec 3-9)

Default The rage2 Car Less for a Week Challenge

Hello Beyond! You may or may not have caught rage2 and I on global news tonight, so here’s the scoop.

Last year, in an effort to raise money for the Calgary foodbank, I challenged rage to take part in a yoga class. It was a very successful challenge, with people in our office donating over $6,000 to see photo evidence of rage in said yoga class. This year, the holiday fundraising time is quickly approaching, and I've been trying to figure out how to top the challenge from last year.

A month or so ago, rage and I were discussing our driving options for the winter. I said that we could totally manage with one car, relying somewhat on transit as well. The minute I uttered the words public transit, rage was online looking for winter car options. As seen in this thread: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/359682/ju...w-ride-part-4/, he soon picked up a winter car.

Shortly after that purchase, I heard about a local filmmaker who was looking for households to participate in a car free for a week challenge. I decided to jump on this opportunity, and rage, being the good sport that he is, agreed to partake, with the caveat that we have to raise $10,000 for the food bank along the way. He promises that if I hit that goal, then he’ll post updates throughout the week, photos, videos and all. I hear that Mibz is already plotting to stalk him at bus stops to point and laugh.

And of course, this is where all of you come in I need help to make this happen!!! Here's the link to the donation page on the food bank website http://calgaryfoodbank.akaraisin.com...arfreeforaweek

I thank all of you in advance who help me to make this happen, and I promise I’ll share when and where you can catch rage on transit so you can point and laugh
    Last edited by SQ2; 10-23-2012 at 03:35 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/docum...940/story.html

Crappy iPhone video of the story:

edit - Better video off GlobalTV : http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/video...l?v=2292116525
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Good on you guys! Will definetly be interested in how you guys handle getting the little guy to school, etc.

I only live a few blocks from my office and although I enjoy driving as much as the next guy, I'v been walking to work as much as a I can. I actually feel a lot better throughout the day when I've walked. The only problem is I don't live in Calgary... I'm in Winterpeg, so the -50 means bundle up and drive

nm
    Last edited by e36bmw///; 03-05-2018 at 11:31 AM.

My Ride
    changes every year

good on you man. i cant do it becausse i dont live in the city and have a 3 year old to transport and walking all that way wont work, otherwise i would try it as well!

My Ride
    Bicycle

Cool. When is this week gonna go down?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Lol. I wonder what all the poverty stricken single working parents who can't afford a car to begin with think of this challenge... an entire week... my god!

Good on you Rage, but seriously, this is kind of laughable. Sort of like that "hidden boss" show or whatever it's called where an executive has to work as a lowly waiter for a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Lol. I wonder what all the poverty stricken single working parents who can't afford a car to begin with think of this challenge... an entire week... my god!
    I don't get why people are bringing income into this at all. If only poverty stricken people took transit, there would be no busses in half the communities in this city. There are rich people in this city that use transit regularly. It's irrelevant.

The documentary is aiming to show car people like myself that there is an alternative, and to see if it's possible to live without car ownership. I'm doing it to see the other side, and how it will change my day to day routine. It'll also be a review of how efficient our transit system is, seeing as everyone bitches about it compared to cities like NY and London.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Better not try to jaywalk while downtown at night...
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride

Originally posted by rage2

I don't get why people are bringing income into this at all. If only poverty stricken people took transit, there would be no busses in half the communities in this city. There are rich people in this city that use transit regularly. It's irrelevant.

The documentary is aiming to show car people like myself that there is an alternative, and to see if it's possible to live without car ownership. I'm doing it to see the other side, and how it will change my day to day routine.
    That's kind of my point. Of course it's possible to live without car ownership. Poor people do it all the time. I mention income, because the impoverished don't have a choice in the matter, they HAVE to take transit (or walk, or ride a bike).
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 10-16-2012 at 09:15 PM.

My Ride
    Calgary Transit/Corolla

Good luck rage, i do both car and transit and it's really not that difficult but i've always ridden the bus or train so it is sort of second nature to me

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Food bank was a solid choice.

Review of our transit? There are thousands that will tell you how terrible it is haha.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Nissan 200SX

Ya, sorry Rage, but I'm going to have to go way out on a limb here and agree with Tik-Tok.

The mere fact that this is even a story is kind of an indication of just how spoiled some people are these days.

I mean, I'm no different, I drive everywhere... but for fuck's sake... first world problems story right here.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by rage2

The documentary is aiming to show car people like myself that there is an alternative, and to see if it's possible to live without car ownership. I'm doing it to see the other side, and how it will change my day to day routine. It'll also be a review of how efficient our transit system is, seeing as everyone bitches about it compared to cities like NY and London.
    The full experience should be a week with -30c days.

Nothing put you back in a car quicker than freezing to death at station or suffocate in stuck train cars.

I don't have much to complain going to work with transit. Coming home is a whole other story.

You can't be more than 10 mins bus ride to Crowfoot, no?

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

What about if you have to go see a client or pick them up for entertainment?
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

That's kind of my point. Of course it's possible to live without car ownership. Poor people do it all the time. I mention income, because the impoverished don't have a choice in the matter, they HAVE to take transit (or walk, or ride a bike).
    Well obviously it's doable, I'm not debating that. But the majority of the city is heavily reliant on cars, and the film is aiming to change the perception of public transporation for those people, including myself.

My Ride

Still, I'd be WAYYY more impressed if it was like 6 months. One week, is more "Hahah, yeah this sucks, but it's almost over". If anything, it will re-inforce how much you like driving, and won't change.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Mar
    What about if you have to go see a client or pick them up for entertainment?
    I dunno, I'll have to figure it out when the time comes.

Still, I'd be WAYYY more impressed if it was like 6 months. One week, is more "Hahah, yeah this sucks, but it's almost over". If anything, it will re-inforce how much you like driving, and won't change.
    I don't think the film makers have the budget to follow 4 families around for 6 months. I'm a car guy, I LOVE driving, I'll always want to drive. But I'm also a spoiled brat. I refuse to use public transportation, if I don't have a car I make someone drive me. So maybe this might change my perception a little. Baby steps right?

My Ride
    Its Quick

Good Luck Rage.......now is Car2go an option or only public transit ?
    Last edited by Offroad; 10-16-2012 at 09:26 PM.

I think the Food Bank is a wonderful choice.

I thought about just trying to do my job without a car, and honestly it wouldn't be feasible from a time perspective. Calgary transit is available everywhere I need to be for work, but it would take hours between meetings at Quarry Park to go to the Airport.

That said, I am terribly dependant. I drove my car across the street to a pub today.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast