Quantcast
The rage2 Car Less for a Week Challenge (started - Dec 3-9) - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The rage2 Car Less for a Week Challenge (started - Dec 3-9)

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Offroad
    Good Luck Rage.......now is Car2go and option or only public transit ?
    Dunno the rules yet, but regardless, I can't car2go to my house, I'm in the burbs, far from the home zone. Unless I rent one for the week, but I won't be doing that. I'm not looking for loopholes with this challenge, I'm looking to give every form of public transportation that I'm allowed to use a try in the real world with a hectic schedule running 2 businesses.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

JFC your TV is damn clear... lol
    Last edited by RickDaTuner; 10-16-2012 at 09:57 PM.

Have to agree with you Tik-Tok. How is a rich guy taking a bus for a week news worthy? Seems extremely pathetic compared to the hardships people suffer out there.

The premise of the documentary seems ridiculous as well. Not owning a car is one of the most inefficient things possible. Commuting to and from work transit is great but if you value your time at all you need a car. Imagine everytime you needed something from the grocery store you had to wait for the bus? The guy shooting this documentary is nutty.

However, good on setting this up for charity even though it should go to something better like the ronald macdonald house. Support people who have hardships, not substance abuse people

My Ride
    AWOL

lol @ "challenge" this is sad

Thanks everyone for your feedback! Totally understand that this sounds like a first world problem. I don't see it being much different than the fundraisers that people participate in where they sleep outside for a night, or go on a 30hr famine though. Both survivable and unfortunately both done by many people in this world not by choice, but also both experiences that many in the middle class in Calgary wouldn't normally find themselves in, and so a good challenge to their day to day living.

Sure, it's possible to live in Calgary without a car, but how possible is it to do it when you've set up your life with the expectation that you'll be getting around by car? You've purchased/rented a home without considering things like what transit commutes would be like, how convenient a trip to the grocery store will be on foot, or how you'll get your child(ren) to their extra curricular activities. Maybe you just want to get to dinner at your parents' house and had never before thought of how you'd get there without your car.

Yes, living without a car is doable, and I've done it. BUT, I lived inner city and planned my life based on not having a car. I've never done it while living in the suburbs of Calgary though, and if I had to do this for an extended period of time, I would find a way to live in a more convenient location. For rage, I'm hoping this is an eye opener that transit is a possible solution (although I'm betting that he will have more complaints than anything by the end of the week), and at the same time, we can raise some money for the foodbank. Sounds like a win/win situation to me!

My Ride
    Its Quick

Originally posted by rage2

Dunno the rules yet, but regardless, I can't car2go to my house, I'm in the burbs, far from the home zone. Unless I rent one for the week, but I won't be doing that. I'm not looking for loopholes with this challenge, I'm looking to give every form of public transportation that I'm allowed to use a try in the real world with a hectic schedule running 2 businesses.
    Oh ok ...well one way might be you sign one of yer rides ownership to me then hire me as a car and chauffeur . Just kidding,anyways again good luck. I know i could never do it,i did public transit for 2 weeks when i moved here and started working in 1986,swore I'd never do it again. Not saying Calgary transits bad just not for me ,and too much of a car loving, driver guy.

Not sure why people are bitching about the documentary when someone is making a sacrifice to help raise money. Count me in for $100.00 once the link is up for donating.

My Ride
    1.2 GIGAWATT CUISINART POWERED DELOREAN

Being in Arbor Lake it won't be so bad. Pretty close to the C train. If you were in Copperfield it would suck. Good luck...hope you don't catch a cold
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” -Jeremy Clarkson

My Ride
    96 S14. 11 heep

Like stated above its not the fact that a lot of people live without a car and it's no big deal, it's the fact that he is dependent on his vehicle like most are dependent on legs or arms, if you want to compare to other people it's like them not being able to use one leg for a week! Some people with a leg missing would say "pfft a week big deal" but to someone dependent on their legs would be screwed. I'm with rage on this, it's a big step for a business man like him to take! So quit bustin his chops about this... Good on you I will be donating for sure!
    Last edited by 90accord; 10-16-2012 at 09:59 PM.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Taxi??
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-11-2019 at 09:00 AM.

My Ride
    2016 Golf R

This is a great idea! Good luck with it rage!

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by rage2
    I'm looking to give every form of public transportation that I'm allowed to use a try in the real world with a hectic schedule running 2 businesses.
    That is a challenge if you don't have a 8-5 office job.

I just have a feeling Rage's footage will end up on the cutting room floor because it doesn't fit the narrative of the film maker.

So when's the detail of the challenge set?

I use my car wayyyy to often to give it up for a week.. I go to way to many places to rely on Transit.. This will be an interesting one to watch!
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    old Toyotas

It's a cool idea for a good cause. Honestly if I worked downtown, unless I could afford a helicopter, I would take transit.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Calgary Taxi costs for getting 2 people and a kid around... even Rage isn't that rich
    No one can afford that shit on a day-to-day basis, but maybe on those days he's entertaining clients or something? Just curious if it breaks the rules that he hasn't been made aware of yet.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Good on you dude, I couldn't bring myself to go carless.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Sure guys, it isn't a huge deal. He'll find a way to get where he needs to go for that short period of time.

But he's also displaying to people it is possible - but in my opinion, the raising money for the food bank is awesome. So really, no matter what your perspective... I think we can all agree this is a good thing.

Love the charity, love the idea, love the potential entertainment factor. Any chance of doing this for two weeks instead (outside of the documentary)?

1-week is tough already for most beyond members. Rage is a celeb and should do the impossible $10g for 2 weeks is fair entertainment value.

I'm glad the haters stayed away from the thread where I PLAY VIDEO GAMES FOR 24 HOURS for charity. Haha, Jesus, you wanna talk about first world problems? "My eyes are sore from staring at this 24" monitor all day. My butt hurts cause the cushioning in my chair is flat. Awwww, why does he get that awesome sword?"

I think this is gonna be hilarious and I'll definitely be donating :P

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast