Quantcast
The Scotch Thread - Page 83 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 83 of 112 FirstFirst ... 73 82 83 84 93 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 2222

Thread: The Scotch Thread

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Today's new arrivals. I'm doing a tasting next week with Caol Ila 18, Talisker 18, and Ledaig 18 so I wanted to have the respective 12, 10, and 10 on hand for comparison.

Only needed a fresh bottle of the Caol Ila so figured I'd pick up some quality budget drinkers for summer as well.

Name:  IMG_20210617_133913.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  299.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by LongCity View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A wonderful gift from a great friend (Eride).
    Nice! 33 years in oak that's gotta be like drinking liquid caramel... Impressions?

My Ride
    06 S2000

Has anyone tried any Macaloney's whisky?
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by haggis88 View Post
    just grabbed a bottle of this for $49 at a random liquor store in Edmonton

https://www.willowpark.net/products/...reserve-838655
    Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    Ive seen this a few times but never bought it. It interests me for sure. Please post your thoughts on it once you try it.

I'm gonna give it a 6/10 - my palate isn't the most refined and I do have trouble naming the flavours and scents I pick up on, but here we go

Not a complex scotch by any manner of means but does have a very "rummy" scent on the nose, I get the burned sugar taste from it and not the bananas and pears they mention

Get a lot of the sweet on the taste, cinnamon and brown sugar for definite and I definitely get a Sailor Jerry vibe coming from it in the background

Finish was a bit boring in honesty. Again i dont get the pineapple they mention, i found it more just "alcoholly" but definitely quite smooth

Wouldn't pay full price for it, but at <$50 it's up there on the "decent for the shelf" chart

Quote Originally Posted by haggis88 View Post
    I'm gonna give it a 6/10 - my palate isn't the most refined and I do have trouble naming the flavours and scents I pick up on, but here we go

Not a complex scotch by any manner of means but does have a very "rummy" scent on the nose, I get the burned sugar taste from it and not the bananas and pears they mention

Get a lot of the sweet on the taste, cinnamon and brown sugar for definite and I definitely get a Sailor Jerry vibe coming from it in the background

Finish was a bit boring in honesty. Again i dont get the pineapple they mention, i found it more just "alcoholly" but definitely quite smooth

Wouldn't pay full price for it, but at <$50 it's up there on the "decent for the shelf" chart
    Put a few drops of water in it to cut those harsher aspects and you might start picking up on the subtle flavours man!

My Ride
    Bicycle

Edit: Double post
    Last edited by LongCity; 06-18-2021 at 11:26 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Eride View Post
    Thanks for giving me a taste, that is a beautiful whisky!
    It's only right to share.

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    And here I am shopping for a Craigellachie 12 like a total pleb.
    Nothing wrong with affordable, everyday, drinkers. Sometimes you just wanna have a drink, instead of spending hours analyzing a dram.

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Nice! 33 years in oak that's gotta be like drinking liquid caramel... Impressions?
    Only had a tiny sip that night but will need to revisit it again for a better impression haha. But that probably won't be for another year. It's the special occasion bottle.

Today's new arrivals. I'm doing a tasting next week with Caol Ila 18, Talisker 18, and Ledaig 18 so I wanted to have the respective 12, 10, and 10 on hand for comparison.

Only needed a fresh bottle of the Caol Ila so figured I'd pick up some quality budget drinkers for summer as well.

Name:  IMG_20210617_133913.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  299.4 KB
    How does one join and get one of those tasting kits?! Haha.

Excited about these guys. The bottle art made it tough to not buy the rest in the series. Tried them both in a tasting recently. The Ben Nevis was interesting and complex. The tasting left me wanting more time to explore it so I splurged. The Ardmore was great value for what it is. It was laid down in ex-Laphroaig barrels. Lot's of maritime, bacon and heavy bbq smoke notes.

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  195.2 KB

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by jake1er View Post
    Excited about these guys. The bottle art made it tough to not buy the rest in the series. Tried them both in a tasting recently. The Ben Nevis was interesting and complex. The tasting left me wanting more time to explore it so I splurged. The Ardmore was great value for what it is. It was laid down in ex-Laphroaig barrels. Lot's of maritime, bacon and heavy bbq smoke notes.

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  195.2 KB
    Where'd you get those?

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Where'd you get those?
    Kensington Wine Market just put them out.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Nice purchases. I heard the Ben Nevis is really good and price is fair for a 23 yo IB Ben Nevis.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

How does one join and get one of those tasting kits?! Haha.
    If only I was in Calgary I'd totally start a whisky club. My buddy in the UK runs https://www.thedramsociety.com/ and we have a group of 23 friends that do monthly tastings (we also bought a Cask of Linkwood with club funds).

I really enjoyed the Caol Ila 18, Talisker 18, and Ledaig 18. I haven't seen the results from the group voting yet but everyone seemed to like them, although some didn't like the Ledaig. I found it the most interesting/unique - not sure if that makes it my favourite or not but certainly something I'd drink again.

On a separate note, some Americans were making fun of Canadians and I thought this was pretty funny...

Name:  2ys5bymc6z771.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  128.8 KB

My Ride
    Bicycle

All right, who bought up all the Kilkerran 8 CSs this morning?

If only I was in Calgary I'd totally start a whisky club. My buddy in the UK runs https://www.thedramsociety.com/ and we have a group of 23 friends that do monthly tastings (we also bought a Cask of Linkwood with club funds).

I really enjoyed the Caol Ila 18, Talisker 18, and Ledaig 18. I haven't seen the results from the group voting yet but everyone seemed to like them, although some didn't like the Ledaig. I found it the most interesting/unique - not sure if that makes it my favourite or not but certainly something I'd drink again.

On a separate note, some Americans were making fun of Canadians and I thought this was pretty funny...

Name:  2ys5bymc6z771.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  128.8 KB
    I think Edmonton has a club. I don’t imagine it’d be hard to get one started in Calgary, if there isn’t one (or a few) already.

Where was it on sale this morning? I picked up a bottle a month or so back from CraftCellars and I was lucky enough to track down a couple of bottles of the Longrow 10 Malbec release from another local store. Missed out on the Springbank Local Barely release by a few minutes. 2/3 Campbeltown special releases ain't bad though!

It's wild how quickly affordable high quality scotch disappears off the shelves.

A beyond scotch advent calendar would be cool! I have a cousin that organizes one every year and you get some unreal drams for a $120 buy in.

All right, who bought up all the Kilkerran 8 CSs this morning?

I think Edmonton has a club. I don’t imagine it’d be hard to get one started in Calgary, if there isn’t one (or a few) already.
    Last edited by jake1er; 08-04-2021 at 07:54 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by jake1er View Post
    Where was it on sale this morning? I picked up a bottle a month or so back from CraftCellars and I was lucky enough to track down a couple of bottles of the Longrow 10 Malbec release from another local store. Missed out on the Springbank Local Barely release by a few minutes. 2/3 Campbeltown special releases ain't bad though!

It's wild how quickly affordable high quality scotch disappears off the shelves.

A beyond scotch advent calendar would be cool! I have a cousin that organizes one every year and you get some unreal drams for a $120 buy in.
    It was at CC. I think Campbeltown products are starting to trickle in, slowly, again. I can’t believe we’ve come to a time where shops need to limit the purchase of the Springbank 10 and 15 to 1/pp.

What do you guys do with the boxes from your scotches... I have a nice one from my bottle of GM Signet.

Toss em when you are done ?
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

I used to keep them cause they were 'nice', but they were really just a waste of space and I ended up with a pile of ~100 empty boxes when I moved. I toss all of them now regardless of what it is.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

It was at CC. I think Campbeltown products are starting to trickle in, slowly, again. I can’t believe we’ve come to a time where shops need to limit the purchase of the Springbank 10 and 15 to 1/pp.
    Their supply was seriously depleted. I'm convinced I got my hands on the last bottle of Springbank 10 in Spain. I expect they're going to come out with more NAS stuff if the demand holds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
    What do you guys do with the boxes from your scotches... I have a nice one from my bottle of GM Signet.

Toss em when you are done ?
    I've seen nice tins used for coffee bean storage but unless you have a fancy art project in mind, I'd just recycle the boxes.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Anyone get any interesting pickups, lately?

Notable summer pickups, so far. Worth it? Probably not, unless you think they can do no wrong or are on their payroll. Good for, potential, tradesies, nonetheless.

Name:  4FFD1EEE-4B45-4097-88B0-023AA1E5E368.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  254.9 KB

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Wow, how'd you manage to get 2 bottles of Scorch? I'm sure they'll be worth a bunch at auction before long.

What's in the other tin? Cairdeas?

I'm planning to start a YouTube channel loosely based around whisky soon so I'll be ordering a few bottles to fit in with my plans for that but nothing too expensive or exciting.

Page 83 of 112 FirstFirst ... 73 82 83 84 93 ... LastLast