Quantcast
The Scotch Thread - Page 27 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 27 of 112 FirstFirst ... 17 26 27 28 37 ... LastLast

Thread: The Scotch Thread

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

I have a GlenLivet 15 year, and I hate it. I have to cut it with something. I love my Lagavulin 16 year.
    I love my Johnnie Walker Black on ice. Soo good.

The Glenlivet 16 Nadurra is one of my top 5 favorite scotches, probably my top 2 for under $100. They are discontinuing the 16 and replacing it with a NAS, which is more expensive and not as good.

For those of you who don't like Glenlivet, I challenge you to try the Nadurra.

p.s. I am not a fan of the Glenlivet founder's reserve, 12, 15 and 15 French Oak.

My Ride

Oh and the Taketsuru 21. This one is probably easier to find and is supposed to be a really good one.

Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
    They are discontinuing the 16 and replacing it with a NAS, which is more expensive and not as good.
    So the industry trend of:

- discontinue an aged product
    - replace it with an inferior non-aged (meaning it's all likely sub-10 or 8 years old) product
    - charge more

is continuing.....

My Ride

Originally posted by Inzane

So the industry trend of:

- discontinue an aged product
    - replace it with an inferior non-aged (meaning it's all likely sub-10 or 8 years old) product
    - charge more

is continuing.....
    Yep. There's a recent blog post on this with a bit of a discussion in the comment section

http://www.allthingswhisky.com/

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

A friend of mine just came back from Tokyo couple months ago and did some whisky shopping for me. Most of the decent stuff are sold out everywhere, so unless you are willing to pay a premium, the selection is fairly small. You'll probably find these:

Yamazaki NAS
    Yochi NAS
    Miyagiko NAS
    Hakushu NAS or 12 YO
    Taketsuru NAS
    Hibiki NAS

plus a few less popular and cheaper ( mostly grain) blends that I don't think is worth wasting luggage space for.

Do not buy from the airport duty free, they are alot more expensive (2X) than the stores in Toyko, probably because they cater to the Chinese buyers.

I find that most Japanese whiskies are fairly balanced with a little bit of sweetness, fruit, smoke, etc. You can find the Taketsuru NAS (Pure Malt) and the Hibiki NAS (Japanese Harmony) here in Calgary so maybe they are not worth the luggage space, although they are alot cheaper there.

If you like Nectar D'Or then I would say go for the Hakushu 12/NAS. They sell mini (50ml - 150ml) bottles of these whiskies at 7-11 so they are really easy to find and you can always taste them before committing to a full bottle. After that maybe try the Miyagiko, then Hibiki (17 if you come across a mini), then Yamazaki, and finally Yochi ( this one will be the smokiest one).

If you are lucky enough to find a Yamazaki 18 or Hibiki 21 (at the right price), they might be worth picking up too.
    Awesome advice! Did not know that about the duty free, will make sure to buy outside then.

I'm assuming that this was for me:
    Oh and the Taketsuru 21. This one is probably easier to find and is supposed to be a really good one.
    Looks like I've got some research to do, I did a quick search on the notes from the Hakashu 12 and it looks like I'll have to give that a try!

My Ride
    06 S2000

I have the Hibiki Suntory, and it's fantastic. Hands down my favourite to drink right now.
    I picked up the Nikka Dram from Co-op last night, they have little 500ml bottles right now.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...barrel-whisky/
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

The ANA lounge had the Hakashu distillers reserve out, and I quite liked it. Have a feeling that I might like the 12 even more.
    Last edited by cyra1ax; 04-18-2016 at 01:11 AM.

My Ride
    Acura CL

I have the Hibiki Suntory, and it's fantastic. Hands down my favourite to drink right now.
    I picked up the Nikka Dram from Co-op last night, they have little 500ml bottles right now.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...barrel-whisky/

How much is 500ml bottles?

My Ride
    06 S2000

Originally posted by The_1

How much is 500ml bottles?
    ~$50
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Acura CL

~$50
    Thanks!
    I'm going to give it a try

My Ride

Originally posted by cyra1ax
    The ANA lounge had the Hakashu distillers reserve out, and I quite liked it. Have a feeling that I might like the 12 even more.
    Just picked up a bottle of the Hakushu 12 in Honolulu. Man Japanese whiskes are getting way too expensive. They are becoming harder and harder to justify.

Man Japanese whiskes are getting way too expensive. They are becoming harder and harder to justify.
    So is scotch sadly.

When I started with scotch in 2014, I thought the $60-80 bracket would sufficiently hold me for most of my tastes. Now though, because of price shifting and product changes, it's more like $90-110. (And that's paying more for the same or lesser quality)

That's gettin a little too baller for me.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 12:21 AM.

Need some recommendations for a bottle of scotch for a buddy.
    Budget is max $230 and I'm not really sure what he likes or what he's tried so far.
    I'm sure he'd like to try something new, ...I thought about buying 3 bottles at around $60-$90 a piece but then I thought that he probably doesn't have much opportunity to try the higher end stuff.
    so ya, any recommendations would be really helpful!

hopefully i get a taste too!

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

^^^I really wouldn't do that without at least knowing his thoughts on smoke and peat first... Any clue on what brands he has at home?

Originally posted by kaput
    I don't understand the sudden and rapid shift to higher prices for new and often inferior NAS scotch (WTF happened to Glenlivet??) but I've cut my consumption by about 3/4 as a result. Seems like a lose lose outcome for everyone except my liver, but what do I know.
    Blame China, the popularity of scotch world wide has exploded and the old stock just can't keep up, rules being that the youngest scotch dictates the age is what's killing age statements from the big guys... Attend some tastings and I'm sure you will find some good scotches for a decent price still, lots of new stuff (to our market) in the sub-$80 range
    Last edited by ercchry; 04-24-2016 at 10:41 PM.

My Ride

The price increase is just insane. Back in the days a good daily is ~$40-55, with the nicer ones for ~$75-90, and the really nice ones for $100. Back then my biggest splurges were $95 for a bottle of Glenfarclas 21, $100 for a Talisker 57 North or $100 for a Johnnie Walker Platinum (they are now $140, 170, and $150, respectively).

Now it's $60-75 for a decent daily, $90-$120 for the nicer stuff, and forget about the 18yo+ stuff!

I have a bottle of Talisker 25YO that I picked up for $185 not too long ago and it's now $400 at most stores ($450USD at the Honolulu liquor store). My Glenlivet 21 Archive was $150, now it's $250+. $120 Highland Park 18 is now $180. $110 Dalmore 18 is now $190 ( and $240 at the YVR duty free as of last week!), and the list goes on and on.

Macallan 21 for $600?
    Glendronach 12 for $75?
    Glenfarclas 15 for $95?
    Aberlour A'bunadh for $100?

Give me a break!!

Anyway, enough whining from me. It's supply and demand I guess as there are obviously people out there willing to pay that kind of premium.

Originally posted by ercchry
    ^^^I really wouldn't do that without at least knowing his thoughts on smoke and peat first... Any clue on what brands he has at home?
    I know he has glenfiddich (Sp?) in his cupboard but I'm trying to get some more info here. . He's not a seasoned scotch drinker by any means but still acquiring his taste. . So it's not like he's a connoisseur with very specific preferences.
    Last edited by nonofyobiz; 04-25-2016 at 06:18 PM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah, going with one expensive bottle could be a little wasteful if that's the case... But if you must I guess you could basically pick anything... Not too many terrible bottles in that price range

My Ride

Might as well get something that looks fancy/expensive. Too lazy to insert Pics so just google.

The Glenlivet 21 Archive is around that price and comes with a very nice wooden case

Glenmorangie Signet ($220) comes in a very nice black bottle with a nice topper, with a nice wooden case, and the top of the box also double as a display stand for the bottle

The blue label ($220) looks very nice on the shelf if you place it above a light (to show the blue bottle)

Compass Box This Is Not A Luxury Whisky ($230) has a very unique design for a whisky
    Last edited by RX_EVOLV; 04-26-2016 at 12:00 AM.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 12:21 AM.

Page 27 of 112 FirstFirst ... 17 26 27 28 37 ... LastLast