Quantcast
The Scotch Thread - Page 15 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 15 of 112 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 25 ... LastLast

Thread: The Scotch Thread

Originally posted by roopi

Thanks. I'm heading to Vancouver over the holidays and I'll try and find one.
    You won't find it at any BC Liquor store, you'll have to troll the smaller, private stores. Usually I look here: https://legacyliquorstore.com/

Originally posted by civic_stylez
    I havent read the entire thread but Ive really been digging the Tomatin 12 year lately. Took in the tasting at Willow Park and really enjoyed it.
    I love it. Only the 2nd single malt I bought in the summer, and almost done. Just a few drams left. I'll definitely be replenishing it in my stock, but I'll probably pick up a 15yr first before they totally disappear.

I just wish Tomatin wasn't so expensive here. In Edmonton the 12yr is around ~ $60, whereas down in the US I hear they get it for around ~ $30-35 USD.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Inzane

I love it. Only the 2nd single malt I bought in the summer, and almost done. Just a few drams left. I'll definitely be replenishing it in my stock, but I'll probably pick up a 15yr first before they totally disappear.

I just wish Tomatin wasn't so expensive here. In Edmonton the 12yr is around ~ $60, whereas down in the US I hear they get it for around ~ $30-35 USD.
    willowpark in calgary cant be beat for scotch up here, the 15 is $65, making the new 14 (which i would highly suggest over the 15) $60

but yeah, cant compare booze across the boarder... damn sin taxes

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Originally posted by ercchry

you didnt get to try the new 14yr finished in a port cask? its probably my favorite. its replacing the 15yr in the line and its like $5 cheaper a bottle

the limited edition cu bocan was okay, but im not a big peat fan, but it might be worth a bottle since it was technically a fuck up back in the day and they didnt get into the peaty stuff till years later so its really limited
    I agree on the Cu Bocan.. it was a treat to get to try the limited stuff but Im like you and dont really dig the heavy peat unless its with ice or a decent splash of water. I just love that the US cant get it! I will definitely look for the 14 port. Is it overly sweet?
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by civic_stylez

I agree on the Cu Bocan.. it was a treat to get to try the limited stuff but Im like you and dont really dig the heavy peat unless its with ice or a decent splash of water. I just love that the US cant get it! I will definitely look for the 14 port. Is it overly sweet?
    i wouldnt call it sweet, very smooth though. makes the rest of the line feel like hot fire haha

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 01:09 AM.

ImTherious Guest

Originally posted by kaput
    PS if anyone else is looking for a Glencairn glass locally, they have them at Kensington. [/B]
    There's a Glencairn glass available at Crate & Barrel at South Centre for about $10.

Anyone put any scotch on their christmas list this year?

I gave my family a half dozen suggestions, ranging from Glendronach 12yr on the low end to Highland Park 18yr on the high end. We'll see what happens.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Have had this on the shelf for a couple of years, just cracked it open tonight. Holy shit, this is good stuff!

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 01:06 AM.

I saw the 1985 at Coop in Shawnessy last week. Cracked a bottle of Talisker 10 yesterday and didn't care for it too much. At the price point the Ardbeg 10 is a better option or spend the extra for the Lagavulin 16.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I saw the 1985 at Coop in Shawnessy last week. Cracked a bottle of Talisker 10 yesterday and didn't care for it too much. At the price point the Ardbeg 10 is a better option or spend the extra for the Lagavulin 16.
    My wife bought me the Talisker 10 for xmas, I'm enjoying it. Definitely the smokiest one I've had to date though.

My Ride
    MDX

I look forward to your min reviews everyday. Especially the Islay's.
    Well life certainly got busy this month. Didn't miss a beat, dram every day for the first 18 days of December then the stomach flu hit the entire household. I'll recap all of the bottles in the calendar shortly and point out my favorites.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 01:06 AM.

I get so excited when I see this thread pop up.
    Same!

I got a few Japanese whiskies for Christmas and I opened a relatively cheap one tonight.

Nikka From The Barrel

Really nice for the price point, and thoroughly enjoyed by all four drinkers tonight. Sweet, slightly spicy and lingering, but not sickly sweet. Oily as fuck. You can turn the glass, and the line stays along the side for ages.

I checked today and they only have the 1995 unfortunately. I think the 85 is done for.
    Sorry about that.

My Ride
    MDX

Day 22-24 of this advent calendar sure didn't disappoint. Auchentoshan 18 year, Glendronach Parliment 21 year and Glenfarclas 40 year. The 40 year is a $58 50ml bottle!

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

In hong kong right now and holy shit everything is so expensive. I say everything is about 50-100% more expensive than in Calgary, if not more. A glenmorangie 10 is $100cad! Even duty free prices are ~20%+ more expensive than superstore.

I've been to about 5 wine stores now and can't find a single bottle of Yamasaki for any years. Very disappointed.

My cousin's friend said he will let me buy the Hibiki 12yr and 17yr off him at cost so those are going to be my trophies for this trip. He also has a Hibiki 21 but I can't afford the $600+ for it. I hope he doesn't back out when I see him next week !!

Tried the glenmorangie signet and it was REALLY good. It's $275 a bottle here, which I'm sure is way over priced. If I see it in Calgary I will definitely pick up a bottle.

Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
    In hong kong right now and holy shit everything is so expensive. I say everything is about 50-100% more expensive than in Calgary, if not more. A glenmorangie 10 is $100cad! Even duty free prices are ~20%+ more expensive than superstore.

I've been to about 5 wine stores now and can't find a single bottle of Yamasaki for any years. Very disappointed.

My cousin's friend said he will let me buy the Hibiki 12yr and 17yr off him at cost so those are going to be my trophies for this trip. He also has a Hibiki 21 but I can't afford the $600+ for it. I hope he doesn't back out when I see him next week !!

Tried the glenmorangie signet and it was REALLY good. It's $275 a bottle here, which I'm sure is way over priced. If I see it in Calgary I will definitely pick up a bottle.
    Also noticed this when I creeped the duty free in HK

I bought this a few years ago coming back from Mexico.
    http://www.aficionados.co.za/images/...0385_Front.jpg

Don't know if it's any good. I just seem to collect alcohol. Never seem to drink the expensive stuff
    Last edited by GQBalla; 01-01-2015 at 11:26 AM.

My Ride
    R50

HK duty free is not that bad. I got a Glenmorangie Lasanta 1L for $485HKD. I think 1L of the 10yr was something like $400HKD?

Page 15 of 112 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 25 ... LastLast