Quantcast
The Scotch Thread - Page 101 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 101 of 112 FirstFirst ... 91 100 101 102 111 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 2222

Thread: The Scotch Thread

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

2018 Big Peat Christmas.

53.7% blend of Bowmore, Caol Ila, Ardbeg, and Port Ellen.

Reminds me a bit of Lagavulin 8 but with way more complexity. It's definitely a young and big peaty Dram but I haven't been punched in the mouth with flavour for a while so it's been a great Christmas Dram.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Name:  F192C7E9-5C74-47CB-BE9E-96CFFC8DA294.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  251.7 KB

Pretty good taster last night. The Timorous won over the crowd but the Balcones 2 year old is quite the adventure

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Pretty good taster last night. The Timorous won over the crowd but the Balcones 2 year old is quite the adventure
    Nice line-up. I've heard good things about the Beastie - what did you think of the double cask?

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

First big win of the year.

Was expecting the Jameson "Distiller's Safe, Cooper's Croze, and Blender's Dog" but got the 12/Gold/18 Year instead.

Name:  PXL_20230113_113430521.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  166.1 KB

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    Nice line-up. I've heard good things about the Beastie - what did you think of the double cask?
    Missed this. Double cask was good, but pretty straightforward. No real surprises from it

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Share your thoughts on the Kilchoman. I got the Loch Gorm - progressing through the bottle it feels somehow easier to drink but initially I was put off by the intense ashtray/coal notes on the palate (nose you really any so it's a bit of a surprise!).

If Lag 16 is right up your alley, the Loch Gorm would be a great alternative.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Share your thoughts on the Kilchoman. I got the Loch Gorm - progressing through the bottle it feels somehow easier to drink but initially I was put off by the intense ashtray/coal notes on the palate (nose you really any so it's a bit of a surprise!).

If Lag 16 is right up your alley, the Loch Gorm would be a great alternative.
    Will definitely give a review on the Machir Bay.

Tried the Stiureadair last night and enjoyed it but perhaps it's too much like the 12 year only younger and a bit more sherry-forward. For the small price difference I'd probably just stick with the 12 but I'll need to give it a few more tries before coming to conclusions.

As far as Kilchomon goes, the Senaig and was initially a bit disappointed for me but now I think it's ok, just overpriced for what it is. Haven't been able to find the Loch Gorm around here but it does seem like a bottle that would appeal to me more.

Problem with Kilchoman from my perspective is that it's all a bit too young and aggressive but I guess that makes it unique. We'll see how the Machir Bay comes across... stay tuned.

My Ride
    V8s

Kilchoman isn’t all young. Here’s what I’m drinking now:

Name:  66AF32B2-3BD3-4C6F-A80C-9673C04FA4E7.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  227.9 KB

Fwiw though the machir bay is probably one of the worst Kilchoman bottles imo. I’ve tried ~15-20 of them, since it’s one of only a couple distillers my FIL drinks, and most kilchomans I’ve had are better than that one.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    Kilchoman isn’t all young. Here’s what I’m drinking now:

Fwiw though the machir bay is probably one of the worst Kilchoman bottles imo. I’ve tried ~15-20 of them, since it’s one of only a couple distillers my FIL drinks, and most kilchomans I’ve had are better than that one.
    Yea, some of their limited edition single barrel releases are older but the Machir Bay & Sanaig are said to only be 3-5 years and the Loch Gorm, which is even "limited" to annual batches now, is only ~8 years. I don't mind young peated whiskies but the price needs to reflect the age.

There's zero availability of anything outside of the core range here and even if I could find it I don't think I could justify the price tag but that's great you've been able to find some older bottlings.

I tried the Machir Bay last night and enjoyed it. Not a lot of complexity but it reminded me of a Lagavulin 8 with a bit of extra sweetness from the Oloroso. I'll put it up against a Big Peat one of these days.

My Ride
    V8s

Interesting take. I'm sure I'm the outlier, but I expect price to reflect quality; I don't care what age is on the bottle. e.g., Bowmore 15 is hot garbage in comparison to basically everything from Kilchoman, or even a Lagavulin 8 or 10.

I saw a Loch Gorm on the shelf yesterday, looking forward to seeing what that one's all about when it gets opened eventually.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    Interesting take. I'm sure I'm the outlier, but I expect price to reflect quality; I don't care what age is on the bottle. e.g., Bowmore 15 is hot garbage in comparison to basically everything from Kilchoman, or even a Lagavulin 8 or 10.

I saw a Loch Gorm on the shelf yesterday, looking forward to seeing what that one's all about when it gets opened eventually.
    Yea, age doesn't necessarily mean much, especially when it comes to peated malt, but it is a big factor in distillery cost which should carry into pricing (storage, insurance, angel's share, etc.)

Unless you're getting way better relative prices than I am in Spain, I'm not sure I understand the hype for the Kilchoman. I mean, it's good spirit, no doubt, and of course the 46%+, natural colour, non-chill filtration is great, but I'd pay the same or less for a Ledaig 10, Lag 8, Laphroaig 10 relative to the Machir Bay or around the same for an An Oa, Uigeadail, Lore, or Port Charlotte relative to the Sanaig and I'm not sure I find the same complexity in either of the Kilchoman bottlings as those other options.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Personally I love older peated scotch as the peat tends to be less harsh and incredibly smooth. The Ardbeg Triagh Bhan 19yo is such a treat. Laphroaig 25 is also something else. It's a shame they are all so expensive. Can't afford any of them unless splitting with friends or trying at a tasting. Jumped on the latest Compass Box KWM 30th anni bottle because it has 17yo Ardbeg and 20yo Caol Ila in the blend.

I feel the same as David. I'm also not a huge fan of Kilchoman. Most of the KWM casks are good, but the standard bottlings like Machir Bay I dont think they are as good as the price they command. Would happily take a Port Charlotte 10yo or a Laphroaig 10yo CS over it. Just finished off the Ardbeg 8yo For Discussion Only recently and that was probably one of my fav <$100 peated scotch in recently memory.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

May go pick one up myself. I enjoyed it at a friends place, though admittedly it was after a wine tasting so who really knows by that point!

https://www.bswliquor.com/collection...-14-year-old-1

Benromach 10 for $50 is a good price
    https://www.bswliquor.com/products/b...-10-year-old-1

Haven't tried a Dalmore as they seem to fall in the price:performance of Macallan but this is a nice discount for the Cigar Malt
    https://www.bswliquor.com/products/t...JT88%3D.SJNjB4

Thank God I got out of BSW with just my wine order. Their selection is fantastic, I could have spent a lot of money on Scotch, Bourbon and mix n matching wines. Kid in a candy store!
    Last edited by msommers; 01-16-2023 at 04:57 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride

This is a great deal for Craigellachine 13 at Craft https://craftcellars.ca/product/crai...ar-old-46-abv/

Can't think of a better daily drinker for the price than this.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Happy weekend everyone

Name:  PXL_20230121_003639124.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  173.3 KB
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride

That's a nice haul

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Kilkerrans are quick complex, I think will take a bit to fully appreciate them.

Interestingly I like the 16 v 12 here, but the opposite with the Springbank (10 v 15).

If I ever track down a Springbank 12 cask strength...
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    This is a great deal for Craigellachine 13 at Craft https://craftcellars.ca/product/crai...ar-old-46-abv/

Can't think of a better daily drinker for the price than this.
    Co-Op has Bunnahabhain 12 on for $65. And the Shackleton blend isn't bad at $40 either, but I'd rather the Craigellachie or Bunna.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Adding this bottle to the stable

Name:  804BB83A-0B4A-4B10-A014-A9FDE4024EAF.jpeg
Views: 261
Size:  272.7 KB

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Nice! I'm guessing that wasn't cheap...

Page 101 of 112 FirstFirst ... 91 100 101 102 111 ... LastLast