Quantcast
The Scotch Thread - Page 52 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 52 of 112 FirstFirst ... 42 51 52 53 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 2222

Thread: The Scotch Thread

Highlander Wine & Spirits had a Bruichladdich Octomore 9.3 in their online special this week for ~$130/bottle. They usually have a little extra stock come in on Saturdays. Good pick up for the money!

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by jake1er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Highlander Wine & Spirits had a Bruichladdich Octomore 9.3 in their online special this week for ~$130/bottle. They usually have a little extra stock come in on Saturdays. Good pick up for the money!
    Great price for an Octomore, but the online review for the 9.3 isn't that good... stopped me from picking up a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    Great price for an Octomore, but the online review for the 9.3 isn't that good... stopped me from picking up a bottle.
    Where do you look for reviews? It seems to be pretty well received from what I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    Aberfeldy 21 at Costco for $139.99. Maybe 10 bottles left at Deerfoot location,
    Just picked one of these up at the Balzac location... Steller deal!

My Ride
    Bicycle

Would buy that Aberfeldy if it was at least 46% ABV

Quote Originally Posted by LongCity View Post
    Would buy that Aberfeldy if it was at least 46% ABV
    I never understand the hate on 40% some people have... I ain't drinking it to get hammered. I don't like a scotch because of the strength but instead it is because of all the different flavour profiles. 40% is where there master taster and distiller wanted to bottle it at. 6% varience in alcohol past 40% really isn't changing the experience from bad to good. Just a bit different.

My Ride
    06 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    I never understand the hate on 40% some people have... I ain't drinking it to get hammered. I don't like a scotch because of the strength but instead it is because of all the different flavour profiles. 40% is where there master taster and distiller wanted to bottle it at. 6% varience in alcohol past 40% really isn't changing the experience from bad to good. Just a bit different.
    If you drink a lot of high proof, punch you in the face with flavour whisky, at 40% the whisky tastes weak, muted and even water-y. Makes sense, as the original flavour profile has been diluted with water. Below 46%, usually it's also chill filtered (and is more likely to be artificially coloured), so more theoretical potential for alteration of the original flavour profile. I don't drink high proof whiskies to get hammered, I like the intense flavour and dig that they are the least changed, or unchanged, from what came from the barrel. I also usually take smaller pours of high proof drinks, so the bottles tend to last longer and improve value a bit. I recently picked up a North Star bottling of 9 year old Heaven Hill bourbon finished in islay scotch barrels that comes in at ~133 proof. Super interesting flavour profile mixing peat/moss with sweet corn. We poured a Red Breast 12 cask strength after that, and at ~114 proof it was wild how "soft" it tasted in comparison.

If 40% works for you, that's awesome. For me, I don't usually buy bottles below 46% without a really good reason to.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I share the same sentiments as tenth above.

But much like you, my goal isn't to get wasted on expensive whisky. However, I do like scotch because of it's strength - it's strength in flavour - and higher proof usually means more flavour. I want to pay as little for water as possible, as water isn't the flavour I'm looking for. Their master distiller and taster are there to make money. So, they'll bottle it at the legal requirement to call it a scotch for the mass market. For all we know, they're keeping the barrel proof versions of the 21 YO for themselves and like you said, if 6% isn't changing it from bad to good, then why not just bottle it at 46% and you can add as much water as you want.

Also, where did I hate on it? I merely stated my preference and said that I would buy it at said preference... And, also, like tenth mentioned, if 40% bottlings are cool with you, then it's obviously cool with me, as I'm in no position to tell you how to buy or drink your whiskies. It's just not my own personal thing.

I share the same sentiments as tenth above.

Also, where did I hate on it? I merely stated my preference and said that I would buy it at said preference... And, also, like tenth mentioned, if 40% bottlings are cool with you, then it's obviously cool with me, as I'm in no position to tell you how to buy or drink your whiskies. It's just not my own personal thing.
    My apologies if that came across like I was bashing your opinion... It was not the case at all. This is one of those moments where typing out thoughts does not convey intent. Sorry man!

Quote Originally Posted by tenth View Post
    I recently picked up a North Star bottling of 9 year old Heaven Hill bourbon finished in islay scotch barrels that comes in at ~133 proof. Super interesting flavour profile mixing peat/moss with sweet corn. We poured a Red Breast 12 cask strength after that, and at ~114 proof it was wild how "soft" it tasted in comparison.

If 40% works for you, that's awesome. For me, I don't usually buy bottles below 46% without a really good reason to.
    Kind of makes the point I was trying to convey. I have had friends who say they cant drink scotch because it is too "strong" and I pour something 46% or even higher because I know it is a amazing dram without ridiculous bite and the love it and are surprised to learn of the alcohol content, and in the same breath I have a friend who only says they like cask strength and I pour a 40% dram that they love and when I tell them as much they are also shocked.

In the end I guess I am saying I do not care what the strength is if the dram is excellent... Good is good... It isn't the alcohol content that determines that for me...

I do drink a lot of high proof for the record. My collection runs the entire range from 40% to over 60%. I like them all!
    Last edited by tirebob; 04-28-2019 at 05:20 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

My apologies if that came across like I was bashing your opinion... It was not the case at all. This is one of those moments where typing out thoughts does not convey intent. Sorry man!
    Haha no worries, man!

Anything you’ve been drinking lately that you really like or recently opened that you really enjoyed?

Haha no worries, man!

Anything you’ve been drinking lately that you really like or recently opened that you really enjoyed?
    I have multiple dozens of bottles in my collection, all open! Lol! That means I usually am all over the map as I like different flavour profiles in different moments and situations. Lately I seem to be on a sweeter kick and am really enjoying the Glenmorangie Astar as well as a Tullibardine 225 that is finished in sauternes casks that is really quite nice. A buddy just gave me an Auchentoshan that he drew direct from the cask himself while at the distillery that is amazing, although that one I am trying to not consume to quickly as it is an obvious rarity to get.

On the peaty side of things I keep going back to an Ardbeg Kelpie and a Lagavulin 8 I have. Both are fantastic and that Lag 8 is a huge surprise for a relatively young spirit!

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Latest Japanese whisky to my collection.
    Name:  1B0D5FBE-D429-4836-9E7F-C13F796D72D1.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  48.7 KB

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Latest Japanese whisky to my collection.
    Name:  1B0D5FBE-D429-4836-9E7F-C13F796D72D1.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  48.7 KB
    Any good? always skeptical of new Japanese whiskies that's not from Nikka or Suntory, especially when they are >$100

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    Any good? always skeptical of new Japanese whiskies that's not from Nikka or Suntory, especially when they are >$100
    Yes, needs time to breathe and a little water to bring the flavours out. I quite enjoy it.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

My current open bottles.
    Name:  033540D8-B833-4A90-9C03-F8F56D280A37.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  89.7 KB

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Science behind drinking whisky with water.
    https://www.iflscience.com/chemistry...er-with-water/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My current open bottles.
    Name:  033540D8-B833-4A90-9C03-F8F56D280A37.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  89.7 KB
    What's your favourite out of that line-up? I've only tried the Lagavulin and Laphroaig

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by jake1er View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

What's your favourite out of that line-up? I've only tried the Lagavulin and Laphroaig
    The Scottish whiskeys I have, I would say the Balvenie Doublewood is really nice and easy to drink.

As for the Japanese whiskeys I would tend to lean towards the Toki by Suntory, again nice light easy drink.

I just picked this up for a party tonight. I have the single malt & this is the blend. Can’t wait to try it.

Name:  E3F90283-C397-412C-A6CE-5DC1552A76D6.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  50.1 KB

Costco has a sherry finished 20 year Kirkland single malt for $88. I skipped buying it as I wasn't a fan of the Kirkland 18 but thought I would share.

Page 52 of 112 FirstFirst ... 42 51 52 53 62 ... LastLast