The Scotch Thread - Page 100 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 100 of 112 FirstFirst ... 90 99 100 101 110 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 2222

Thread: The Scotch Thread

So there is still hope!
    Great news.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I think I actually prefer the 10 to the 15. The two are very different. The 15 actually reminds me of the Edradour 12 Caledonia but thicker which is a nice upgrade.

I haven't had anything like the 10 before. Very sweet of honey and fruit on the nose and palate with a hint of smoke to round things out.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

I can't believe how expensive Springbank has become. Not a huge fan of the 10yo but quite enjoy the 15yo. Reluctantly pulled the trigger on another 15yo due to FOMO.

My fav SB so far is still the 12yo CS but certainly not at the current retail price. The good ol' days when they were still going for ~ $80.... wish I stocked up then.

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't believe how expensive Springbank has become. Not a huge fan of the 10yo but quite enjoy the 15yo. Reluctantly pulled the trigger on another 15yo due to FOMO.

My fav SB so far is still the 12yo CS but certainly not at the current retail price. The good ol' days when they were still going for ~ $80.... wish I stocked up then.
    Springbank is a really interesting distillery. Not only are they independently owned, they are also committed to keeping 100% of the whisky making process on site, including malting all of their own Barley, kilning their own peat, bottling and labeling all on site. As popularity has grown they've remained committed to their core values and refuse to move to mass production for profit sake. They use traditional methods to make their whisky, doing nearly all of the hard work by hand. With all of this said, they turn out some incredible whisky and for the most part offer all of their core bottles for a really approachable price point (with an exception to maybe the Local Barley series, which is fantastic but also $$$). I predict popularity will continue to rise unfortunately for consumers.

My Ride
    rally pig

our friends like this, fortunately I won one at our works Christmas party raffle and I shared this bottle with them. nice and smooth.

The Macallan Terra that we had along in comparison we didn't like as it had strong flavor

My Ride
    Cayman

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    our friends like this, fortunately I won one at our works Christmas party raffle and I shared this bottle with them. nice and smooth.

The Macallan Terra that we had along in comparison we didn't like as it had strong flavor
    i picked up the the same bottle at Costco this week for $80. Tasted great.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Never had a chance to try a Macallan. I just keep hearing it's 'good but not $$$ good' so I'm too cheap to try it
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Never had a chance to try a Macallan. I just keep hearing it's 'good but not $$$ good' so I'm too cheap to try it
    The one they have at costco is cheap, it doesn't have a lot of character though, IMO. I haven't tried their more expensive bottles.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    100%... some are decent but none I've found to be worth their prices. The good thing is you can always google their 'resell' prices to make yourself feel better. I've been trying to get my hands on their latest "Harmony Collection" release at retail just because of their supposedly resell prices. Otherwise I'm sure it doesn't taste that good lol

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

They’re certainly not unique enough to be picked over other offerings that compare in style/price

My Ride
    Lariat

Just go Balvenie 12 yr double wood
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

A solid choice for sure.

Think I'll pour myself one tonight actually!
    Last edited by msommers; 12-21-2022 at 06:15 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

If you're looking for some solid Sherry Cask options, take a look at The Glenallachie 10 or 15, Tamdhu 15 or Batch Strength, The Aberlour a'bunadh, Naked Grouse for a fantastic budget friendly option, or Glengoyne 10 all solid options too.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by Eride View Post
    If you're looking for some solid Sherry Cask options, take a look at The Glenallachie 10 or 15, Tamdhu 15 or Batch Strength, The Aberlour a'bunadh, Naked Grouse for a fantastic budget friendly option, or Glengoyne 10 all solid options too.
    Good recommendations, though I'm not sure if GlenAllachie 10 was a typo?

I'd say GlenAllachie 12 > 15 and Naked Grouse is now "Naked Malt".

Aberlour A'bunadh or the Double Cask Non-Chill Filtered (48%) are both great, Tamdhu 12 or 15, and Glendronach 12, 15, 18 are all delicious sherry bombs as well.

My Ride

Poured the A'bunadh (batch 47) last night... talk about a sherry bomb...

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    Good recommendations, though I'm not sure if GlenAllachie 10 was a typo?

I'd say GlenAllachie 12 > 15 and Naked Grouse is now "Naked Malt".

Aberlour A'bunadh or the Double Cask Non-Chill Filtered (48%) are both great, Tamdhu 12 or 15, and Glendronach 12, 15, 18 are all delicious sherry bombs as well.
    Ah forgot about the Naked Grouse-Naked Malt rebrand, still for like $45 it punches well above its weight. The GA 10 isn't really a Sherry Bomb but loads of sherry character with both Pedro Ximénez and Oloroso Sherry casks used in the maturation. It's actually my favorite from the core range by far. Tamdhu deserves more love if you ask me, flies under the radar for a lot of folks. If you want something seriously spectacular and aren't afraid to pay for it/hunt them down my all time favorite sherry cask is the Tomatin Hand Filled PX from the distillery (My Christmas dram). I'm also a sucker for the Macallan Rare cask for Nostalgic reasons, as well as the Glendronach 15 or 18 especially the older versions with Billy Walker was at the helm before jumping over to GlenAllachie. So much good whisky in the world

Ran to craft cellars today for a holiday stock up

Name:  20221222_164336.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  105.8 KB

Anyone sip anything that stood out this Christmas? I was into the Kensington Wine Market 21yr Single Cask Glenfarclas that was excellent! Cracked an older Glenfiddich too but it wasn't that memorable.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Is it supposed to taste like old smoke? Is that what you all like about it? I had some at Christmas… didn’t make me cringe like it used to, but just tasted like stale smoke

Oban something, my cousins had that old pultney stuff last night but I opted for an RR and Pepsi lol

Quote Originally Posted by Eride View Post
    Anyone sip anything that stood out this Christmas? I was into the Kensington Wine Market 21yr Single Cask Glenfarclas that was excellent! Cracked an older Glenfiddich too but it wasn't that memorable.
    I had a glass of Suntory Ao World Whisky last night. It's a blend of whiskeys from five countries. I really enjoyed it and will be picking up a bottle. I enjoy Japanese whiskeys so if that's not your thing you might not think much of it. At the price point I think it's worth a try.

Page 100 of 112 FirstFirst ... 90 99 100 101 110 ... LastLast