Quantcast
The Scotch Thread - Page 32 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 32 of 112 FirstFirst ... 22 31 32 33 42 ... LastLast

Thread: The Scotch Thread

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Originally posted by TYMSMNY
    The yama/Hibiki at the airports are all travelers edition aka Limited Edition.

Surprisingly they had a lot of limited Edition at the liquor store at Ginza station and Tokyo Station. Few other surprises there in the 200-300,000 yen range.
    Was also just in Tokyo too and remembered the hilarious prices at the duty free from my last trip in April so I made sure to pick up a bottle in town. Got myself a Hakashu NAS for $38CAD.

Something that's made me wonder about those Duty Free versions, seeing as they're priced that high, wouldn't you blow through your Duty Free allowances and have to pay taxes on top? Obviously if you have the cash to blow on a $3000 bottle of Scotch taxes are no big deal.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

These are the three I'm enjoying currently. The two on the left came straight from Edinburgh Scotland.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

^ haven't tried the two on the left but recall (kind of) drinking loads of the Balvenie.

I seem to remember it being really oaky but the flavours aren't coming to my palette. What are you tasting? Remind me.

You can get the Aberfeldy 21 in almost every liquor store in Winnipeg.

Sells for $220 here.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by sputnik

Sells for $220 here.
    Sounds about right. My wife was in Scotland for her EMBA and was at the actual distilleries, these were her favorites.

The Balvenie has hints of chocolate with a very smooth finish.

The two on the left even more so.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Sells for $220 here.
    Ouch. The last time I picked up the Aberfeldy 21 was ~$120CAD here in Alberta.

Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
    Ouch. The last time I picked up the Aberfeldy 21 was ~$120CAD here in Alberta.
    How long ago was that?

When I was in Alberta this past summer most scotch prices were no more than 5-10% lower in Alberta compared to Manitoba.

If you can get Aberfeldy 21 for $120/bottle I would recommend you start hoarding it at that price.

My Ride

How long ago was that?

When I was in Alberta this past summer most scotch prices were no more than 5-10% lower in Alberta compared to Manitoba.

If you can get Aberfeldy 21 for $120/bottle I would recommend you start hoarding it at that price.
    Not too long ago. Less than a year. It's a bit of a bargaining hunting for sure, and it's getting harder and harder to find those deals. KWM still has it listed for $115 CAD and low stock. I haven't opened mine so I can't comment whether it tastes like a $120 scotch or a $220 scotch. I did recently (Aug) picked up the Aberfeldy 18 at the Vegas airport for $65USD. It's good but not worth >$100.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I always forget about glengoyne... but I do like their offerings. Going to try and remember to drink some more at whiskey fest

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Checked my visa statement and it was $190 for the Aberfeldy & $127 for the Glengoyne.

I called that Kensington liquor store and they do indeed have the Aberfeldy for $120 a bottle, smoking deal.

I think that bottle gets purchased pretty quickly. Last year there was a bottle of 50 year old Glenfiddich that was up for sale in Vancouver and it sold on the first day. I think it was around $35,000. I'm pretty sure the article said a bar/hotel purchased it to sell by the ounce.

My Ride
    MDX

I killed a Balvenie Single Barrel 15yr 1979 cask bottles in 1999 last night.
    Beauty of a dram with a big kick still. 50.4% alc.

My Ride
    06 WRX

It depends where you compare prices to, using any average AB store or the AB stores that tend to have the best prices on that given scotch/whisk(e)y. If you compare it to a high-end shop like KWM or the flagship Liquor Depots that charge a premium for ordinary bottlings, MB and AB aren't *that* far apart, but the gap is massive when you know where to look. Generally speaking Superstore, Costco and Zyn are my go-to's for competitive pricing, but obviously Superstore and Costco have limited selections, and hunting around at random stores can be pretty lucrative. I also get sale e-mails for a half-dozen or so stores in the area, that can have pretty amazing sales.

Prime examples on MB vs AB:
    Bruichladdich Octomores are $120-150 mostly in AB vs $250 in MB
    Bruichladdich Black Arts is $208 @ Zyn vs $350 in MB
    Ardbeg Uigeadil is $85 at Superstore vs $158 in MB
    Laphroaig QC is regularly on sale for $38 here vs $73 in Manitoba
    Glendronach 12 is $50 at Superstore vs $75 in MB,
    and Lagavulin 16 is $85 at Costco/Superstore vs $128 at MLCC.

Add PST on the full price and GST on the difference in pricing and there are some significant differences on a lot of bottles. There's a few things that go the other way, like Aberlour A'bunadh, which is getting harder and harder to find around $100 in AB, and I've seen as high as $135, while MB and ON are still pricing around $100. MB is also better on pricing for bourbon's and rye under $50. The double tax hit we took on alcohol from the Conservatives and NDP in 2015 really hurt us on the more affordable whisk(e)y.
    Last edited by tenth; 10-27-2016 at 05:45 PM.

Originally posted by jdmakkord
    I killed a Balvenie Single Barrel 15yr 1979 cask bottles in 1999 last night.
    Beauty of a dram with a big kick still. 50.4% alc.

thats a gooder, i really enjoy the balvenie line up, port wood being my fav.

My Ride
    Ram

whats everyone's favourite Sherry.

Just picked up a Tullibardine 500 and a glenfarclas willow park family cask.

Absolutely delicious

My Ride

Originally posted by roopi
    I think that bottle gets purchased pretty quickly. Last year there was a bottle of 50 year old Glenfiddich that was up for sale in Vancouver and it sold on the first day. I think it was around $35,000. I'm pretty sure the article said a bar/hotel purchased it to sell by the ounce.
    They have the same 50yo Glenfiddich for sale right now at Oakridge COOP. ~$30K I think? It's on the shelf.

My Ride

Originally posted by Sorath
    whats everyone's favourite Sherry.

:
    Macallan 12, followed by Glenfarclas 17/21, and then Aberlour A'bundah.

Also have a few unopened bottles of Glendronaches that might change things up. Haven't got to them yet.

They have the same 50yo Glenfiddich for sale right now at Oakridge COOP. ~$30K I think? It's on the shelf.
    I hope you mean its locked in the cabinet.

Out of curiosity now since we are talking about these 50 year old scotches. What is the most you've spent on a bottle of scotch?

I think the max I have spent is $220-$250. I don't recall buying anything more expensive then that right now. I could have drank to much scotch and forgotten though.
    Last edited by roopi; 10-28-2016 at 04:36 PM.

My Ride
    Ram

Macallan 12, followed by Glenfarclas 17/21, and then Aberlour A'bundah.

Also have a few unopened bottles of Glendronaches that might change things up. Haven't got to them yet.
    Not a fan of the 12, My fav is the Mac 18, im slowly collecting whatever is left out there hehe. I have a Glenfarclas 17 and it is great, dont think ive tried the 21 but the 40 is amazing.

Originally posted by roopi

I hope you mean its locked in the cabinet.

Out of curiosity now since we are talking about these 50 year old scotches. What is the most you've spent on a bottle of scotch?

I think the max I have spent is $220-$250. I don't recall buying anything more expensive then that right now. I could have drank to much scotch and forgotten though.
    Spent $500 each for my Limited Hakushu and Yamazaki 18 when the Dollar was better against the Yen.

Me and 2 other friends purchased at Macallan 25 as a wedding gift for another friend that was around $1600.

Page 32 of 112 FirstFirst ... 22 31 32 33 42 ... LastLast