Quantcast
Toyota Prius Dominates California as State’s No. 1 Model - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Toyota Prius Dominates California as State’s No. 1 Model

Default Toyota Prius Dominates California as State’s No. 1 Model

Toyota Motor Corp. (7203)’s Prius hybrid passed Honda Motor Co.’s Civic and Accord to become the best- selling vehicle line this year in California as higher gasoline prices drove up demand for fuel-efficient cars.
    Toyota, the world’s largest seller of gasoline-electric autos, sold 46,380 Prius models to Golden State drivers in the first nine months of the year, the California New Car Dealers Association said in its California Auto Outlook report. That vaulted the Prius three levels above last year, when it ranked behind the Civic, Accord and Toyota’s own Camry.

Recovering car and light-truck sales in California, the nation’s largest auto market, are lifting sales across the U.S. Registrations through September are up 26 percent in California, exceeding the 14.5 percent increase for U.S. light-vehicle sales, according to the report.
    “Gas prices are up 80 cents per gallon in California over the national average,” said Alec Gutierrez, senior market analyst for Kelley Blue Book in Irvine, California. “That’s really driving up the appeal of hybrids, as well as plug-in vehicles in California.”
    Drivers in the state bought 1.25 million new cars and trucks this year through September, according to the report. That would be 11 percent of the U.S. total of 10.9 million. Purchases of Prius models this year in California account for 25 percent of the 183,340 Prius liftbacks, plug-ins, v wagons and c subcompacts sold in the U.S.
    Sauce

I thought no one liked the Prius. Why would people spend their hard-earned money on such an awful* car?

* - according to the comment sections of various automotive blogs.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Because there are huge tax incentives for buying a Prius in California, something like $8k, that's on top of any federal hybrid credits too. And you wonder why California is broke haha.

There's Prius's everywhere in Cali. I rented one, they're not that bad. With the tax breaks, they're like $15-20k cars, awesome deal.

Prius's also get to ride the HOV lanes, but I think that program came to an end.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

If you go to Cali, you see Prius' everywhere. Everywhere.

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

Originally posted by rage2
    Because there are huge tax incentives for buying a Prius in California, something like $8k, that's on top of any federal hybrid credits too. And you wonder why California is broke haha.

There's Prius's everywhere in Cali. I rented one, they're not that bad. With the tax breaks, they're like $15-20k cars, awesome deal.

Prius's also get to ride the HOV lanes, but I think that program came to an end.
    No more carpool lane for them. Also no more tax incentives, and even so that tax credit wasn't 1:1 anyway.

Originally posted by Disoblige
    If you go to Cali, you see Prius' everywhere. Everywhere.
    And they all drive like assholes. Never been cut off by so many Priis in my life.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Nice. A car with 1600 laptop batteries which will take a zillion years to biodegrade, not to mention the nickel is mined in Canada, flown halfway around the world to be refined, flown some more to be assembled and then flown back to Canada to be sold. This is environmentally friendly how?
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

They better watch out for the smug pollution from those things.

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

^^ South Park was firing on all cylinders for the Smug episode. ^^

First thing I think of when I see a Prius, I await my Tesla or Ford electric car.... all in good time.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Only a little offf topic, but the Globe and mail has an interesting article about why Electric cars are not nearly as green as they are advertised to be.
    Globe and Mail article - Are electric cars more polluting than gasoline?

Only about half of those criticisms are valid for hybrids.

I still maintain that a toyota echo or similar tiny gasoline car is the best vehicle for the environment.

Originally posted by rage2

I think incentives only apply to plug-ins now.

Originally posted by Mar
    Nice. A car with 1600 laptop batteries which will take a zillion years to biodegrade, not to mention the nickel is mined in Canada, flown halfway around the world to be refined, flown some more to be assembled and then flown back to Canada to be sold. This is environmentally friendly how?
    Isn't Toyota undertaking recycling of used batteries?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Only a little offf topic, but the Globe and mail has an interesting article about why Electric cars are not nearly as green as they are advertised to be.
    Globe and Mail article - Are electric cars more polluting than gasoline?

Only about half of those criticisms are valid for hybrids.

I still maintain that a toyota echo or similar tiny gasoline car is the best vehicle for the environment.
    Tiny gasoline engines have reliability-related issues associated with increased temperature load, which puts extra strain on engine oil. It is especially true for Ford's 1.0L ecoboost engines or any other tiny turbo-charged powerplants.

In related news: apparently, BMW ditched GM in favor of Toyota to work on new hybrid cars .
    Last edited by effingidiot; 10-22-2012 at 07:21 PM.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Default Re: Toyota Prius Dominates California as State’s No. 1 Model

Originally posted by effingidiot

Why would people spend their hard-earned money on such an awful* car?

Because most people are effing idiots

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by effingidiot

Tiny gasoline engines have reliability-related issues associated with increased temperature load, which puts extra strain on engine oil.
    Suzuki made it work for years, can't be that hard to do with a modern day drivetrain.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Suzuki made it work for years, can't be that hard to do with a modern day drivetrain.

Those Swifts/Chev Sprint turbo's were bullet-proof, and amazing fuel economy for their day. Helps that the car was around 1800 lbs though, lol.

That same car would be $9g in todays dollars. I really don't get why there aren't any vehicles like that anymore. Just basic transportation for dirt cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.