Quantcast
Best Steakhouse in Town? - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Best Steakhouse in Town?

My Ride
    BMW

So, my wife and i went to Ruth's Chris tonight to try out their famous steaks tonight, i was kinda disappointed.

Most of their food are very salty and greasy. The best 2 things we had were the chesse bread "complimentary", and crab cakes. My ribeye had way too much butter and was salty, and my wife's filet was a bit burnt on the outside (server did bring out a different one which was much better for her). Our bill came out to about 240, and i am pretty we've had much better food elsewhere around that price range. Service was very good though i must say.

It's awesome to be inactive for a few years and come back to this much help. A big thank you to everyone who posted. I honestly wasn't expecting 80 replies, so that was really dope. I haven't decided where to go yet, I still need to read through everyone's comments. Thanks again.

I'm not sure if most steakhouses offer this, but I recently had a filet at redwater grille in bow valley square, and ordered it chicago rare. It was delicious!

I think it might be called black and blue. IMO it's the only way to eat a filet.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by vw_rabbit2.5
    I'm not sure if most steakhouses offer this, but I recently had a filet at redwater grille in bow valley square, and ordered it chicago rare. It was delicious!

I think it might be called black and blue. IMO it's the only way to eat a filet.
    I remember The Keg having this option, Chicago Rare.

Quite delish when it's charred on the outside but rare on the inside.

Witchcraft.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

I like Vintage if I'm looking for something a bit more up-scale. The steaks seem to have a very "fried" taste and texture on the outside but the inside is delicious.

The Keg has never let me down. Always know what to expect going there, it is always consistent. That's not to say that food isn't good either. $70 dines two with drinks, and the french onion soup is one of the best in town.

Probably gonna get flamed right to hell for this, but Richmond's pub has an awesome steak sandwich, and for $16 better than the Keg by leaps and bounds if you ask me.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
    I like Vintage if I'm looking for something a bit more up-scale.
    In terms of steaks, I'm not sure what could be more upscale than Vintage/Ruth Chris caliber (I didn't find Ruth Chris good at all).

If someone knows, then chime in

Is Caesars any good/consistent?

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

Originally posted by heavyfuel
    Probably gonna get flamed right to hell for this, but Richmond's pub has an awesome steak sandwich, and for $16 better than the Keg by leaps and bounds if you ask me.
    Any steak sandwich is better when smoothered in HP sauce.

Gf and I went to mercato for dinner.

I had the steak.... Very disappointed.
    It was Cooke great medium rare. Taste wise? Salty. And the meat was super bland for some reason....

I personally live the steaks I make at home but seriously unimpressed I've had better steaks at joeys.

Originally posted by cancer man

Any steak sandwich is better when smoothered in HP sauce.
    No HP sauce at all, that's just gross and wrong in my opinion, akin to mixing 18 yr old single malt with coke. Personally, I like to be able to enjoy a steak sandwich in flip flops and a T-shirt. My rule is, dress code=don't attend. And as some of these posts clearly indicate a lot of these stick-up-the-ass "fine" dining steakhouses are overpriced and overrated, not saying it's the best there is but for $16 it pretty much is IMO.

The only seasoning a steak needs is salt!

Regarding sending food back, my wifes parents (chinese) are ALWAYS sending shit back. They will find the slightest imperfection and complain about it. It's rather annoying and a little emabarrasing since we eat alot at the same chinese restaurants and they know the all the owners and managers etc. A couple times I just waved them off and got them to leave the dish so I could eat it haha. IT's prob becuase they owned a restaurant and look at things through rose colored glasses and think they're food was always perfect
    /end in-law rant

My Ride
    Whip.

Originally posted by rage2
    Then there's me
    I thought you loved the good ol' Reef N Beef!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Disoblige
    Is Caesars any good/consistent?
    Top review from Urbanspoon:

Our dinner here was a bit of a let-down, though the restaurant didn't suffer on all counts either.
    Atmosphere - So outdated that it's cool again. I actually liked it for the vintage appeal. I did NOT like the fact that they sat us in the back corner next to some sketchy looking people more interested in cursing than dining. Maybe it was because we're younger the rest of the patrons (everyone else was 40+) and not in formal attire?
    Menu - Clearly outdated. They had such things as escargot and french onion soup featured on there.
    Food - The french onion soup and cheese toast came with cheap shaker-parmesan cheese, kind of like the giant green tubes of the stuff you get at Superstore. The salad was the same sort of iceberg lettuce and dollop of Kraft sauce that would find at a Denny's. The stuffed potato was fine, just like anywhere else. The steak was the one thing that wasn't terrible, but it wasn't amazing either. My NY strip was homogenous in texture and monotonous in flavour, though was cooked as requested and the Caesar's sauce is good.
    Drink - they devoted a whole page on their menu to their "Bloody Caesar" so I tried it out. It's just a plain caesar and I've had better. I also didn't like that they brought it without a straw (any drink with ice should have a straw) which is a bit shocking for a place so dedicated to etiquette.
    Pricing - not really worth it to me, as I can find a more satisfying dining experience for far less money. I had a great meal at Vintage Chophouse...heck, even the Keg does a better job at a lower price point.
    I can see why it remains a Calgary institution, but it's not for me, and if you're much of a foodie at all, it's probably not for you either.
    THE IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE:
    N/A, 8000RPM REDLINE, CLOSE RATIO MANUAL, RWD, LSD

AE86, S2000, E46M3

Scratch that...fat, boost, AWD, DSG

My Ride
    4x4

Probably not beyond baller approved... but mikes in airdrie few doors down from 5guys...

Service has been great every time, food is much better than the Montana's, keg, etc.

I'm going to say Carver's inside the Sheraton 32nd Ave NE is a pretty good place for steak. They've had off evenings in terms of food quality for me. But usually they're great. The salad is made in front of you and it tastes amazing! Chocolate dipped strawberries to end off a steak dinner is done right in my books.

Originally posted by AndyL
    Probably not beyond baller approved... but mikes in airdrie few doors down from 5guys...

Service has been great every time, food is much better than the Montana's, keg, etc.
    You go for the food or do you go to floss your car and clothes? Fuck these "baller approved" places lol

Never been to the Airdrie one but the Red Deer location has always been great.

My Ride
    Ram

could it be? gts jeff back from the dead?

+1 for vintage

My Ride
    oooo

Originally posted by btimbit

NEVER feel bad or be afraid to send food back at a good restaurant. They're not going to be upset, call you picky, screw with your food, or any of the usual worries people seem to have.
    Any Chef worth their salt is just going to curse themselves for letting food get sent out improperly, and do what they can to fix the problem.
    Main goal of a chef is to make customers happy. If you leave a restaurant unsatisfied, you're doing neither yourself or the restaurant justice.
    I worked in a restaurant to pay for school. I can tell you that if it was busy the kitchen staff would screw with your food.

In "keg" type restaurant or better, I don't think twice about sending something back, but in a Pub or even a cactus club/joeys/etc type theres not a hope I'm sending it back.

On the steak note, I found that the Red Carpet generally has a pretty good steak.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    rally pig

i still have to find a really good steak in Calgary, Mercato almost has it but damn their steak is bathed in salt.

La Brezza steak is fairly decent
    Jaquelinne Suzanne Bistro prime rib is pretty good too, although a little on the salty side

Originally posted by taemo
    i still have to find a really good steak in Calgary
    That's cuz you gotta got to Vancouver or Montreal if you want a REAL high end dining experience.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Another divine night at Vintage. I've decided it's my favorite steakhouse in Calgary.

Tenderloin (rare) is always my favorite, especially with the creamy peppercorn sauce.
    Crab cakes are great too.

Consistency is key.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast