Quantcast
Starting an Apprenticeship - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Starting an Apprenticeship

My Ride
    Ferd Fteen Thousand

Default Starting an Apprenticeship

I've told myself I will return to post secondary eventually, but I doubt it is actually going to happen. I need to start obtaining skills that I can market.

Currently, I am working in the Oil Field in a position that has no Trade equivalent with a company with no use for a skilled tradesmen, so a new job would be the first step.

I want to stay working in O&G, are oil and related companies willing to sponsor you? Would I need to start out as a labourer or if you make a convincing enough case do you think they'll hire you on into a trade right away? Where should I look?

Thanks for the help.

Also Welding/Pipefitting/Electrician are a few I'm considering.
    Last edited by Maybelater; 10-26-2012 at 05:27 PM.

My Ride
    Horse

99% you will start as a labourer, just be honest when you go in for interviews of where you want to go with your life/career.

That being said normally your first 90 days will be labourer then if they feel you are a good fit/worker then they will sign for you to become an apprentice.

Try to speak to people in the trades you want to get into, however there is a HUGE difference in skills needed/interests between the trades you selected, so research and see what you would want to be around. I say this as the first couple years usually suck so make sure it is something you want to do.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Ya, I built some crazy ass shit with Lego as a kid. I had a thing for AMC Eagle AWD's as a kid for some bizarre reason, so I spent a lot of time going to the library and reading up on how AWD works in that car. I even hitchhiked to the library once cuz my parents were too lazy to drive me haha. Ya, I'm a nerd.

Originally posted by MrSector9
    99% you will start as a labourer, just be honest when you go in for interviews of where you want to go with your life/career.

That being said normally your first 90 days will be labourer then if they feel you are a good fit/worker then they will sign for you to become an apprentice.

Try to speak to people in the trades you want to get into, however there is a HUGE difference in skills needed/interests between the trades you selected, so research and see what you would want to be around. I say this as the first couple years usually suck so make sure it is something you want to do.

For Welding/Pipefitting you could try Strike, Demon or Maxfield out in Crossfield (Close to Airdrie for you). Strike and Demon I believe do field work and Maxfield is more of a production shop for big vessels and skids.

For Electrical, you should try Techmation in Airdrie, they just moved into their brand new shop on the southern tip of Airdrie. Pretty much all O&G Field work with some closer to town jobs/Skid yards. There is also quite a few big companies in southern Calgary (Eg Tarpon) that do the same you could try.

ProPak in Airdrie does it all but I don't know anyone who has managed to get a job there with out a hook-up.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

If you love to work techmation is good. My buddy works stupid amounts of hours. Not my idea of a good life. I've never been up north myself though. I think pyramid is another big electrical company.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

I think being an electrician would be best for your situation. Mostly because it's easier to get some one to sponsor you in the city then when you get your ticket look up north. That's what a few of my friends did. You can also find lots of work in the city and be able to do side jobs around town if you work here.

Welding is a lot harder to get in to up north. If you don't know people or have made contacts then getting on jobs is a lot harder. You also have to get your b pressure and a rig to make decent money. If you don't then you'll be stuck in a shitty shop all day making skids or corking hoes which gets old fast. Try sitting in a fab tent for 12 hours in -25 welding pipe then going home and seeing the shit that you're shooting out of your nose and your mind will change quickly. I'm never going back.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    CBR 929

If you want to stay in the oil and gas field for electrical, go to Pronghorn, Tarpon, Techmation, Pyramid, Flint, IEC and Custom electric has a industrial division. There are more than that but not sure if any offices in Calgary, Surehire, Caribou electric, Kiewit, Ledcor And Studon. I would suggest applying to any company for electrical to get started, as a first year you don't get to do to much especially if you are just starting out. Once you are indentured you can look around for what you want! I used to work for Syntech a few years back and it is a great industry, I really enjoyed it doing the oil field construction. But you have to be out of town for the most part, the nice thing was we used to do a lot of skids in town so I was a 50/50 kinda deal for me, which is nice not always being gone. And usually in town most of the time it was 10 hour days and in the field was usually 12's.

[url]

Originally posted by bignerd
    If you want to stay in the oil and gas field for electrical, go to Pronghorn, Tarpon, Techmation, Pyramid, Flint, IEC and Custom electric has a industrial division. There are more than that but not sure if any offices in Calgary, Surehire, Caribou electric, Kiewit, Ledcor And Studon. I would suggest applying to any company for electrical to get started, as a first year you don't get to do to much especially if you are just starting out. Once you are indentured you can look around for what you want! I used to work for Syntech a few years back and it is a great industry, I really enjoyed it doing the oil field construction. But you have to be out of town for the most part, the nice thing was we used to do a lot of skids in town so I was a 50/50 kinda deal for me, which is nice not always being gone. And usually in town most of the time it was 10 hour days and in the field was usually 12's.
    Sounds pretty interesting. Any insights on the actual work? What is it like?

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Another company that does O&G pipefitting & welding apprenticeships would be Biddell. Their here in the Foothills industrial.

You'll have to log your hours for a year before they *can* send you to school, so Im not too sure what people are talking about, about "being indentured after just 90 days". You need to have at least 1200 hours under your belt, and thats of work closely related to being (lets say) a pipefitter or a welder. Doing shipping & receiving work (as an example) at a welding shop doesn't constitute for hours you can put towards your indentureship.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    CBR 929

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    Another company that does O&G pipefitting & welding apprenticeships would be Biddell. Their here in the Foothills industrial.

You'll have to log your hours for a year before they *can* send you to school, so Im not too sure what people are talking about, about "being indentured after just 90 days". You need to have at least 1200 hours under your belt, and thats of work closely related to being (lets say) a pipefitter or a welder. Doing shipping & receiving work (as an example) at a welding shop doesn't constitute for hours you can put towards your indentureship.
    A lot of companies are looking for new workers and they will indenture kinda like sponser you so that you are able to become a appretice. Your first, second and third year of apprenticeship is 1500 hours needed and 2 months for each year for electrical, your 4th year is 1200 hours and 3 months of school.

[url]

My Ride
    2016 Civic / 2016 KTM 1290 SuperDuke GT

Just my 2 cents here. I am a journeyman industrial electrician. If oil and gas is where you want to be i would look at starting in instrumentation. It is much easier to get a dual ticket if your an instrumentation guy first then add electrical. In O&G those two tickets open a massive number of options for you down the road. Ive been finding it much harder to get going in instrumentation when im already on the electrical side. If i was starting again thats how i would go. Like I said just my two cents from a guy 6 years into it.

My Ride
    CBR 929

Originally posted by Rowdy
    Just my 2 cents here. I am a journeyman industrial electrician. If oil and gas is where you want to be i would look at starting in instrumentation. It is much easier to get a dual ticket if your an instrumentation guy first then add electrical. In O&G those two tickets open a massive number of options for you down the road. Ive been finding it much harder to get going in instrumentation when im already on the electrical side. If i was starting again thats how i would go. Like I said just my two cents from a guy 6 years into it.
    I would agree with that but electrical will get you farther and let you do more if you are not going to be duel ticketed. Duel tickets are good if you want to become a plant/maintenance operator. I know it helps when you are dealing with how the production works and helps with electrical layout and where devices are going to be. I dont think it is hard to go and become a inst. tech. but most companies are not willing to pay you J-man wage to become a duel ticket. If they do that is when it becomes a hard place to get started on the second ticket.

[url]

My Ride

^ Which shops are willing to apprentice people right from the getgo?

Im getting extremely frustrated at my current workplace, since they wont indenture me, despite easily having the hours. Just curious to what shops are screaming for people, whereas they'd be willing to do such a thing. I feel like I've done little more then waste my fucking time where Im at.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    CBR 929

^ Which shops are willing to apprentice people right from the getgo?

Im getting extremely frustrated at my current workplace, since they wont indenture me, despite easily having the hours. Just curious to what shops are screaming for people, whereas they'd be willing to do such a thing. I feel like I've done little more then waste my fucking time where Im at.

what industry are you in right now? if you have experience you should be able to find a employer that is looking for first years and having any kind of field experience is always a plus with most

[url]

My Ride

^ Oil field manufacturing. Just making PCP pumps and whatnot. Trying to go into my first year Millwright apprenticeship, but were stupidly busy, so I doubt that'll happen, unless they sign the papers as Im leaving. I dont know if they'll do that though, so Im basically screwed eitherway. I have oil field experience doing wireline for Schlumberger, and other companies, but thats not too big of a plus unless you're in that specific side of things.

^ Oil field manufacturing. Just making PCP pumps and whatnot. Trying to go into my first year Millwright apprenticeship, but were stupidly busy, so I doubt that'll happen, unless they sign the papers as Im leaving. I dont know if they'll do that though, so Im basically screwed eitherway. I have oil field experience doing wireline for Schlumberger, and other companies, but thats not too big of a plus unless you're in that specific side of things.
    You can check out Warrior Manufacturing and Enerflex for millwrights. Don't think Enerflex is hiring right now but keep an eye out because it'd be worth your while. Warrior manufactures top drives mostly.

Edit > LOL here ya go http://www.indeed.ca/viewjob?jk=94ed...6h3do&from=web
    Last edited by nonofyobiz; 11-03-2012 at 06:20 PM.

My brother is a licensed welder on the rigs, and has been for the last six years or so. He got a job here in town at Superior pressure vessels, they started him has a apprentice. After his first year he moved up to the rigs, he didn't have a problem getting a job at all. He had no problem finishing his apprenticeship up there. He worked for a bunch of company's. When the job would be winding down he would get laid off and hired again in a matter of five minutes. He is not b pressure and rents a rig from one of his buddies, he make $50+ an hour.
    But he is only home a few days a month and really has no personal life at all. It has destroyed him as a person. The way he stated it was "I work with the worst white people and the worst natives". Its a hard gig to leave, its money or a life.
    Just my two cents from what I have seen.

Im a journeyman mechanic, I could get a $10 an hour raise going to rigs ,but its not worth if for me. What is more important to you? This is Alberta if you cannot get a job the problem is you.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Basically to me electricians making 80k in town. If you can handle making that much just work in town. I've found a job where I make more in town now though not 120 range but close enough. If you try you can do side jobs weekly and you will make well over 100k.

I know nothing about being a millwright but I was endentured with a few weeks of starting.

My Ride
    CBR 929

Since you are interested in becoming a millwright I can ask a few friends who is hiring and see if I can help you out? I know it is hard to get indentured lots of company's like to dangle the carrot in front of you to keep you there.
    I will get back to you this week

[url]

My Ride

^ thank you. A bottle of really nice wine is yours if you can.
    Yeah that whole "carrot on a string" thing is exactly what's going on, it's not fair to be doing millwright type work and to get paid peanuts to do it, while being lied to, to say they'll indenture me at some point.
    I'm very insulted and frustrated where I currently am.

EDIT: and HUGE thanks to everybody else, I'll pay you back for your time and efforts, trust me.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 11-04-2012 at 02:10 PM.

My Ride
    2008 Nissan Altima

I too have the "dangling carrot" problem at work. I started my job about a year ago with the intentions of getting an apprenticeship as a heavy duty technician. As a entry level position at my company, they only had a shipping/receiving job open at the time.

I was told when the service technician (entry level to mechanics) opens up, that I would be the first candidate to fill that position.

Now that this position has opened up, they went outside of the company to fill the position. They then told me that my current position has nothing to do with any part of the service side of our company, and that they want me to become a purchaser (maybe $60k a year highest)

So I am fed up, I want to get into a trade... any trade at this point.

My question is: where can I get a entry level position as either, a Heavy duty technician, Entry level plumbing, or a entry level electrician?

Also what wages are standard as a first year in each trade?

sorry for the long read lol
    Originally posted by WongYue

10% of a litre bike throttle should mean a 100cc right? I think I can handle that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast