Quantcast
New Nexus Devices (Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10) - Page 50 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 50 of 68 FirstFirst ... 40 49 50 51 60 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1357

Thread: New Nexus Devices (Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10)

My Ride
    Ford F150

I'm going through about 10% battery per hour on LTE with what I call light/moderate usage.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

I unplugged my phone at ~7:00am, and as or right now (3:50) I am at 67% on LTE. (Office typically gets 2-3 bars 4G)
    I have my screen brightness on auto, Wifi off, bluetooth off, Juice defender and moderate usage. (Some web, email, sms, and some playstore)

I thought apps like Juice Defender weren't necessary because ICS/JB manage that so well. Do you find they help still? Or do they just provide you with options like turning off Wifi while you seep and other custom settings?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Do you use Rogers' LTE? Or do you type something in specifically for Fido?
    It's not mine. I didn't jump on the N4.

But a buddy got one and got a new LTE sim from Fido for the N4. Best speed has has seen is 33Mbps down and 8Mbps up. Averages around 20/5.

Just wonder if anyone else has seen numbers on HSPA+ on the cheaper networks. I heard you are lucky to go pass 8Mbps down.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-09-2013 at 05:07 PM.

Originally posted by Xtrema

Just wonder if anyone else has seen numbers on HSPA+ on the cheaper networks. I heard you are lucky to go pass 8Mbps down.
    I`m on Fido, not sure if that qualifies as a cheaper netwok, but today on a packed train going home I got 8.64 down and 1.4 up with a shit ping to the speedtest server on HSPA+. Also it looked like it was noticeably climbing still when the test ended. That is 4 times faster than I ever saw with my Galaxy Nexus even in ideal conditions. Seems to be about half of typical LTE speeds, and everything is already instant, so I don`t think I`ll be using LTE anytime soon.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

I have everything turned on now too, and with light use I see ~24 hours battery life (including the 6ish hours I'm sleeping and the phone is unused). 12ish hours or 50% battery life is probably too much for me to give up, at least until I get a charging mat. I find HSPA+ extremely fast as-is anyhow. I'm never waiting for anything, nor do I download large files without Wifi.

For those teathering to a tablet or something though I could see how LTE would be a massive advantage.
    Agreed. I usually leave LTE on just due to the fact that it's easy for me to plug it in at the office if i need to charge it. I usually dont let it get lower than 45% before i charge it again.

Im half thinking of going back to HSPA+ for battery life.

Been using mine for a day or two now. Im quite happy with this purchase. However, despite superior specs, it doesn't necessarily feel any faster than my nexus 7.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

I thought apps like Juice Defender weren't necessary because ICS/JB manage that so well. Do you find they help still? Or do they just provide you with options like turning off Wifi while you seep and other custom settings?
    Im on the free version, but it does provide the ability to turn off certain things while the phone is in sleep mode. I dont know if it really makes any difference.. but figured it couldnt hurt.

Originally posted by R-Audi

Im on the free version, but it does provide the ability to turn off certain things while the phone is in sleep mode. I dont know if it really makes any difference.. but figured it couldnt hurt.
    It may do more harm than good. There is a metric tonn of threads on xda about how it can make your battery life WORSE. If you want to shut down things i'd set up some tasker profiles based on GPS or using NFC with something like NFC Task Launcher.

My Ride
    335i

My nexus has excellent battery life, but it comes at a price. My settings include the screen on auto, no gps/location settings, no NFC and disabling the Google services that I don't use. My phone checks for emails once every 15 minutes. I also don't use LTE as I'm happy with my current speeds.

I'd say I'm a moderate to heavy user and have not been able to drain the battery in a given day.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

I turned off "google now" on my N4 as an experiment and I have 37% battery left when I normally have 10-15%, so that helped.

Location services use a lot of juice but I like those on for a mobile phone.

On my N7, however, turning off google now and location services gives me a SOLID 5-5.5 days of battery life with regular use (approx 1hr per day, usually more), and 7+ days of light use and mostly standby.

Also my warranty replacement N7 has FAR FAR better battery life than my original unit, all else being equal.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
    LTE on telus:

Ping: 29ms
    D/L: 19 Mbps
    U/L: 21 Mbps
    Started having sms issues on LTE, not sure if it was the cause or not. At any rate I went back to HSPA for now.

New speed test:

Ping: 68ms
    D/L: 12 Mbps
    U/L: 2 Mbps

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Originally posted by spike98

It may do more harm than good. There is a metric tonn of threads on xda about how it can make your battery life WORSE. If you want to shut down things i'd set up some tasker profiles based on GPS or using NFC with something like NFC Task Launcher.
    Good to know! I'll look into it.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Anyone else having issues sending MMS?

I had to go in and change the settings on my APN.. adding MMS stuff, but it seems like people still arent receiving pictures from me, even though my phone says sent.

settings I used are:

Name: Rogers LTE
    APN: ltemobile.apn
    Proxy: Not set
    Port: Not set
    Username: Not set
    Password: Not set
    Server: Note set
    MMSC: http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
    MMS proxy: 10.128.1.69
    MMS port: 80
    MCC: 302
    MNC: 720
    Authentication: None
    APN type: *
    APN enable/disable: checked
    Bearer: Unspecified

Originally posted by R-Audi
    Anyone else having issues sending MMS?

I had to go in and change the settings on my APN.. adding MMS stuff, but it seems like people still arent receiving pictures from me, even though my phone says sent.

settings I used are:

Name: Rogers LTE
    APN: ltemobile.apn
    Proxy: Not set
    Port: Not set
    Username: Not set
    Password: Not set
    Server: Note set
    MMSC: http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
    MMS proxy: 10.128.1.69
    MMS port: 80
    MCC: 302
    MNC: 720
    Authentication: None
    APN type: *
    APN enable/disable: checked
    Bearer: Unspecified

Are you using a text messaging app like go sms? I had the same issue. You have to enter in apn manually in app settings

My Ride
    TRD Pro

stock messaging....

Looks like things are starting to work.. although going slow.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Are you on LTE only mode? I had better luck selecting lte/gsm/cdma

Today my phone turned itself off around 25% battery, and when I turned it on, it had 11%.

Anyone have that happen to them? Where the phone thinks its dead before it actually is? Perhaps the phone just needs a few full charges to calibrate the battery meter?

This EXACT SAME thing happened with my N7, and google replaced it without question and the problem was gone.

Too early to tell if it's an actual issue with my N4 or not or just a one-off thing but I would be curious if anyone else experiences that. I usually run my phones down to 10-15% before charging them.

My Ride
    Ford F150

I've noticed my battery indicator seems to show far less than what is actually there. It looks like 25%, battery meter says 49%.

Perhaps let it discharge fully and then do a full charge.

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
    I've noticed my battery indicator seems to show far less than what is actually there. It looks like 25%, battery meter says 49%.

Perhaps let it discharge fully and then do a full charge.
    I have a widget that gives me a percent readout, I've never actually checked if against the battery menu - I'll keep an eye on how the two sync up. Could be the widget's fault, not the phone. I believe the widget has a refresh time, and isn't real time - I suspect that was the issue.

Yeah I'm charging up from 11%, so hopefully that's good enough. I usually try to run the phone down as much as possible before I charge it. I did that with my Gnex and a year later the battery lasted as long as the day I got it.

Page 50 of 68 FirstFirst ... 40 49 50 51 60 ... LastLast