Quantcast
Majority of Calgary food trucks fail to make the food safety grade - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Majority of Calgary food trucks fail to make the food safety grade

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

The same can be said for EVERY restaurant out there. It's not just food trucks.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by btimbit
    The same can be said for EVERY restaurant out there. It's not just food trucks.
    Yes it can be said, but at a restaurant I get a seat and can eat in peace, plus you get better quality food most of the time. I dine out a ton more than I use the food trucks

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by eblend

Yes it can be said, but at a restaurant I get a seat and can eat in peace, plus you get better quality food most of the time. I dine out a ton more than I use the food trucks
    I thought the thread was about food safety, I wasn't comparing restaurants to food trucks.

All I was trying to say is that these Critical Violations aren't always as critical as they sound. Saying that a critical violation was found at a bunch of trucks doesn't mean that it's a cesspool of bacteria.

Originally posted by Go4Long
    Yeah, I would bet money that there's not a single restaurant in Calgary that hasn't gotten a "critical" violation at least once.
    I got a critical violation once for having an empty soap dispenser in the prep kitchen, even though the refills were kept right above it.
    Not to say critical violations aren't an issue, but like I said it doesn't always mean it's a disgusting mess.

Like the article said, most of these issues were corrected immediately once brought to the trucks attention. I myself call my AHS inspector once a day to come back for a re-inspection if she ever finds something wrong, the food industry holds itself very accountable(outside of the NE at least)

Look up the reports and judge for yourself, don't just write off an industry because of a sun article(One written by Michael Platt especially)

I've never eaten at a food truck in Calgary, but I think I'll have to the next time I see one

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

I will say this. Alley burger makes food that looks like a health violation, but it tastes fantastic.
    Vettel's #1

You can always check the AHS restaurant inspection site:

http://www12.albertahealthservices.c.../SearchServlet

Saying that every restaurant has received critical violations is ridiculous.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Nice to see that the Naaco Truck has 0 violations. They're the tastiest one so far!
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by suntan

I seriously doubt that was the reason. Prepared food can be moved to a new site. There's lots of guidelines around it. It ain't rocket science. They probably stopped because the supplier of your food wasn't making any money off of it.
    Believe me, compared to other places in North America, the Alberta gov't is extremely forgiving in regards to food violations.
    I seriously doubt our school administration lied to us to protect us from the horrible realities of capitalism...

The Alberta Government actually doesn't know its ass from a hole in the ground, including its food inspectors..
    Too loud for Aspen

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Pretty much this, the whole "food truck" trend is going to be short lived anyway IMO.
    You mean, paying restaurant pricing for the privilege of eating out of a truck on the side of the road isn’t all it’s cracked up to be?

My Ride
    A Pearl Diamond

Originally posted by BigShow

You can't bring New York into this!! Their street meat is amazing!!
    Big Show is the New York expert

My Ride
    G6

From my experience of working in a bakery at a major grocery store, I know the regulations are pretty hard to break. Manager told us to clean up because the health inspector guys were coming the next day. If you get notice, how do you still fail?

As for the food trucks; subpar food with a big price tag. I've had food from 4 of them; was never impressed. Street meat downtown and most fast food places are better for cheaper.

Originally posted by Maxt

I seriously doubt our school administration lied to us to protect us from the horrible realities of capitalism...

The Alberta Government actually doesn't know its ass from a hole in the ground, including its food inspectors..
    Texas doughnuts require no special food handling. They can sit in a box for a few days before they become inedible, and really don't become poisonous at all due to their high fat content.

For hot foods such as burgers, they can be left out for two hours at room temp before they need to be disposed of. They can be left out longer if put into a controlled container that keeps the temp either hot or cold, such as a fridge or a chafing dish.

Now I'm pretty certain that it doesn't take two hours from Peter's to your old school.

And if you believe that the Alberta gov't doesn't know its ass from a hole in the ground, then it stands to reason that your school administrator, who is an employee of the Alberta gov't, and therefore doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground, would be okay with giving you, a then snot-nosed student, any ol' reason to keep from talking to you.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

The only issue I have with AHS inspectors is the flexibility, some are waaaay too relaxed but some are maybe a tad too strict.

The one I have is just about perfect, she's there for the same reason I am, which is to ensure the well being and happiness of the customer. But I've heard some horror stories about inspectors letting some nasty stuff slide.

Like I touched on before, especially with the fluctuations of the thoroughness of the inspections, when judging the quality of a restaurant based on these reports, the most important thing to look at is whether or not and violations were fixed.

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by suntan
    Texas doughnuts require no special food handling. They can sit in a box for a few days before they become inedible, and really don't become poisonous at all due to their high fat content.

For hot foods such as burgers, they can be left out for two hours at room temp before they need to be disposed of. They can be left out longer if put into a controlled container that keeps the temp either hot or cold, such as a fridge or a chafing dish.

Now I'm pretty certain that it doesn't take two hours from Peter's to your old school.

And if you believe that the Alberta gov't doesn't know its ass from a hole in the ground, then it stands to reason that your school administrator, who is an employee of the Alberta gov't, and therefore doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground, would be okay with giving you, a then snot-nosed student, any ol' reason to keep from talking to you.
    Well apparently they didn't know what they were doing, otherwise it wouldn't have been shut down for that reason..You must be an Alberta Goverment employee as well, because you have no idea what the standards were and when I was in high school..
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

I don't think so. I'm guessing they are here to stay. Most major cities in the US have a vibrant food truck industry.

As for the article, would be a surprise when you ate food off a truck and got sick? I'm guessing these "violations" are blown way out of proportion and there is no real threat here.
    This.

Love me some Perogy Boyz.

Originally posted by HyperZell
    Nice to see that the Naaco Truck has 0 violations. They're the tastiest one so far!
    I want to try them so bad.. haha. Never catch them.

My Ride
    something green

I saw the Naaco truck today.. Sweet toque...

Truck looks good.
    Too loud for Aspen

Wait, WHAT?

Calgary has THIRTY FIVE food trucks???

I've never seen a single one
    Last edited by Chojo; 11-02-2012 at 11:48 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/jjianc/

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-11-2019 at 09:19 AM.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by ZEDGE

This.

Love me some Perogy Boyz.

I want to try them so bad.. haha. Never catch them.
    Perogy Boyz is good. HAven't had Naaco yet. But I LOVE Jojo's.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by sexualbanana

Perogy Boyz is good. HAven't had Naaco yet. But I LOVE Jojo's.
    Dont. I feel bad as the owner is a member on beyond ("Gonzi_stylez", I believe it is), but I went there not long after he launched, and holy shit what a let down.

There were perhaps 7 people in the line up, yet I waited 30min just to place the order. Another 20min for them to make it. Only they got my name wrong, thinking I said "Pete" (WTF?) after it was finally ready they were calling out Pete, finally after another 5 min, with people behind me being served I asked the girl, and whoops, she admitted to her mistake.

The food was mediocre at best, portions were terrible. I spent $13 on about $3 worth of food I could have gotten at any place like Wendy's.

After ALL that wait I went over to grab a burger at McDicks, just from how hungry I was at that point.
    I'll never go back ever, fuck 'em. Just a complete let down.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Dont. I feel bad as the owner is a member on beyond ("Gonzi_stylez", I believe it is), but I went there not long after he launched, and holy shit what a let down.

There were perhaps 7 people in the line up, yet I waited 30min just to place the order. Another 20min for them to make it. Only they got my name wrong, thinking I said "Pete" (WTF?) after it was finally ready they were calling out Pete, finally after another 5 min, with people behind me being served I asked the girl, and whoops, she admitted to her mistake.

The food was mediocre at best, portions were terrible. I spent $13 on about $3 worth of food I could have gotten at any place like Wendy's.

After ALL that wait I went over to grab a burger at McDicks, just from how hungry I was at that point.
    I'll never go back ever, fuck 'em. Just a complete let down.
    I'm disappointed that your Naaco experience was horrendous. All I can say is that we've had some time to work out the kinks and make some adjustments - to which I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

I'd like to invite you back to the truck for a meal on me. Unfortunately after next week we'll be closing up but next spring the offer still stands.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast