Quantcast
McKenzie Towne Traffic Circle - New Markings? - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: McKenzie Towne Traffic Circle - New Markings?

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by Mixalot27

I hope someone from here will go to the meeting and give us an update about how it goes. I'm very curious to see how many people will show up and if it gets heated or remains quite civil.
    Originally posted by kenny
    For those that are going, please share what they discussed
    Originally posted by Z_Fan

Whilst I'm sure I could remain composed, I doubt I could complete more than 3 sentences with out using the word "fuck", "fucking", "stupid" or "asshats". Probably a good chance I'd use all of those in the same sentence.

Sadly, I can't go.

I'm going to go, I'll keep everyone posted. If you do come, come sit/stand by me (I'll be the guy on crutches) we can start a beyond booing squad

I am 100 percent cant go.

My Ride
    oooo

The traffic circle is the most efficient method of moving traffic short of an interchange. It is used globally without issue.

I have travelled around Australlia and England and you can go from road to road so seamlessly. I don't understand why so many people struggle to comprehend how it works.

I have lived in McKenzie towne since 2006 and have seen at least 4 baby seat checkstops. Even though they hand out a lot of tickets during these checkstops a lot of people learn how they need to properly install car seats and strap in their children.

If they setup a checkstop there once a week for a month they would not only generate phenominal revenue, they would inform the majority of commuters on the proper method of navigating through this fantastic intersection.

I will take the traffic circle jerk anyday over sitting at lights at 52nd.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Exclamation

Well that was an absolute crucifixion

Keating brought two city traffic engineers (two guys sitting down in this picture) and these guys started to try to explain the mickey mouse ears ("spirals" in official city traffic engineering lingo) they drew on our traffic circle, they barely got a few sentences in before everyone basically ripped these guys a new asshole. Some interesting points that the traffic engineers and Keating admitted to:

- This traffic circle is NOT in accordance with the Alberta Drivers Handbook (they claim that the signs supersede the official drivers handbook)
    - They've made a two lane traffic circle into a traffic circle with parts that are one lane
    - That this traffic circle was doing just fine without these new lines (they claim stats show only 8 reported collisions in this traffic circle per year)
    - That they did a god awful job of communicating these changes to the people before painting the lines
    - That this was a rush job, apparently the study analyzing the flow through this traffic circle was sub-contracted out only 3 weeks before they actually painted the lines
    - There were 4 possible options for this traffic circle and they chose this one
    - They admit that the police as well as other city employees do not clearly know how to navigate the traffic circle (old or new)
    - That the signs are sort of stupid as they represent a traffic circle with 4 entrances/exits and not 5
    - That the PDF's they sent out had some errors i.e. if coming from Prestwick you can take either the inside (left) lane or the outside (right) lane to exit on to deerfoot though the outside (right) lane must exit
    - The rule of 'Always yield to the vehicle on the left' does work, and you should technically be able to take the outside (right) lane all the way around so long as you yield to the left (inside) lane duh
    - These lanes can be removed ASAP but any further tweaks or improvements will have to wait until spring

Many other interesting points which I can't remember right now.

There was an unofficial vote taken towards the end of this meeting and out of ~40 people 2 were in favor of these new lines and the rest want to see it either go back to the way it was and/or just have a simple white dotted line running all the way around the circle separating the outside (right) lane from the inside (left) lane.

The outcome:

Keating knows the vast majority is pissed with him for this and he says he will take it up with some of the higher up City Traffic guys to determine a path forward. He made it clear that he knows the way it is now is not ideal. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

My Ride
    oooo

thanks 94boosted.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    '14 Audi S5 /'09 Forester XT

^^Thanks for attending this. So our assumptions were actually correct about mickey's ears and also my own personal understanding was correct about the new changes and the old way the circle worked. Glad to see that they will fix this mess, or at the very minimum educate the public.

That's a good summary. Pretty much the expected outcome as I saw it. Knowing the "traffic engineers" were present [I assume that means guys that used to park cars for a living] makes me wish I was there...

Unfortunately my other committments conflicted and had a higher priority in my life.

But due to the way this meeting was arranged, I knew there would be many other angry people there who would probably present opinions similar to my own.

8 accidents per year. (Probably a few that aren't reported too) But that's fuck all considering the volume it handles. I think as the other major interchanges are completed nearby, traffic demand will lessen at peak volume periods. But if you consider how much traffic goes through this circle every single day, a regular light controlled intersection would be a total clusterfuck. The circle is fine. The circle was fine before. The circle just needs to go back to how it was and some education about how to use it needs to be put out to all the surrounding communities. (Based solely on the fact they are likely the ones who use the circle the most - though I think the majority of people do know how to use the circle.)

I agree that a small wait at high volume times is a small price to pay. Suck it up and know any kind of light controlled intersection (or god fucking forbid) traffic circle would be much worse. Imaging having lights controlling your entrance to the circle! I wonder if the geniuses at Roads had that as one of their four options.

Probably.

Anyway, I think people know what is best here. So good. Let's get this shit back to how it should be. For my part, I will continue to ignore the lines because they are just plain fucking stupid.

Thanks for the update 94boosted.

I'm surprised that the Traffic Engineers actually had the guts to show up to the meeting.

Its cool that it looks like they are going to listen to the people and get the situation resolved soon.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Im going to keep doing it the way I always have.

This changing lanes 4 times to exit to Prestwick is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.......And I have seen a Nicki Minaj music video.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

Originally posted by Kavy
    This changing lanes 4 times to exit to Prestwick is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.......And I have seen a Nicki Minaj music video.
    I'm going to go ahead and acknowledge that joke because I think it would otherwise go unappreciated.

Looks like it's going back to the old way....not like anyone was using the new markings really. Hopefully this time they paint some lines to denote 2 lanes as I have seen people wander from lane to lane within the circle almost causing collisions.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/12/02...e-traffic-flub

Wait!

What?

Why?

Originally posted by Z_Fan
    Wait!

What?

Why?
    Whining

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

The City had the best of intentions (don't laugh) trying to help out the residents of McKenzie (and area) who still haven't figured out how to navigate a traffic circle (don't get me started on licencing and road testing of existing drivers).
    Some simple road signs along the lines of "YIELD TO TRAFFIC ON LEFT" posted before the circle in each road and within the circle might help.

My Ride
    '14 Audi S5 /'09 Forester XT

Originally posted by ianmcc
    The City had the best of intentions (don't laugh) trying to help out the residents of McKenzie (and area) who still haven't figured out how to navigate a traffic circle (don't get me started on licencing and road testing of existing drivers).
    Some simple road signs along the lines of "YIELD TO TRAFFIC ON LEFT" posted before the circle in each road and within the circle might help.
    Sure... And if only there was some magical item on cars that indicated their intentions on what they would like to do - like oh say, turn signals and actually using them. I can't wait for the neext round of the temp. lighted signage. "warning - new'er lane changes...just kidding, we went back to the old way of doing things."

My Ride
    growls

Saw this this morning and laughed. Glad they got the hint!

My Ride
    NC1

LOL too bad they didn't out the engineer who came up with the idea.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns
    Looks like it's going back to the old way....not like anyone was using the new markings really. Hopefully this time they paint some lines to denote 2 lanes as I have seen people wander from lane to lane within the circle almost causing collisions.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/12/02...e-traffic-flub

& on a single white dashed line separating the inside lane from the outside lane

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

After reading that article, it sounds like the city engineers did the same thing with the fiasco on Northland Dr... how are these idiots still employed?!

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Oh now I get it. Wife and I went through this circle for the first time to go to a party at a friends house this weekend. They just moved to the area and I have never had a reason to use this circle before (I live downtown, never go that far south). We were leaving at about midnight so its was dark and the circle was covered in snow. I know to yield to traffic in the inside lane. I entered, stayed in the right lane, went past an exit as I was taking the next one. Some guy in a truck that was in the inside lane and behind me by about an inch layed on the horn. He must have been trying to obey the lines he knew were there but that I was completely unaware of. Lines are pretty stupid and on top of that there is no sign (that I saw) saying to keep left except to exit so when it snows there is no way to know what you are supposed to do unless you live there.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast