Quantcast
Crowchild Tr FYI - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Crowchild Tr FYI

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty sure they're adding a lane in each direction over the river and changing the location of some of the on/off ramps onto Memorial (to give more space for people merging on/off). Also read somewhere that no lane reductions during construction during the day but I'm sure its going to be a disaster anyways.
    Speed limit reduction will be the biggest impact, but not that it matters during rush hour, nobody goes anywhere near the speed limit during peak. Confusion with lane shuffling during construction will be the big problem once things get going.

The changes they're making are adding 2 lanes (one in each direction) between 17th Ave. SW and Memorial Drive. They're also relocating how 10th Ave and Bow Trail enters Crowchild Northbound to the east side of the bridge. Bow Trail to Crowchild southbound remains unchanged. The remaining work is bridge maintenance.

Project is estimated to take 2 years.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I have friends that live on the kensington side of crowchild tr who were really concerned that the city was going to buy up land along crowchild and knock down all the houses there to make way for the expansion, so much so that they wanted to sell their houses ahead of this time in order to not be affected by downwards pressure on their house value...seems like they were all scared for no reason. Cant imagine Druh would let her residents houses all be knocked down.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    I have friends that live on the kensington side of crowchild tr who were really concerned that the city was going to buy up land along crowchild and knock down all the houses there to make way for the expansion, so much so that they wanted to sell their houses ahead of this time in order to not be affected by downwards pressure on their house value...seems like they were all scared for no reason. Cant imagine Druh would let her residents houses all be knocked down.
    I thought the city generally pays a premium for expropriation, but in this case they won't be buying a lot of land, it's only expanding out by one row of houses and they already own quite a few of those. A lot of houses will be impacted though - they'll either be one lot closer to a busier road or adjacent to on/off-ramps. Tons of houses have gone up for sale west of 23rd St in West Hillhurst in the last little while.
    http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...m-rec-plan.pdf
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The section north of Bow River is currently in the mid-term plan so 10-30 years away. The plan is here:

It looks like the affected properties are already city owned based on the map. Druh was actually OK with losing a few houses, because the fixes here will fix 19th Street, which has become a shortcut for everyone and has way more traffic than intended.

It's too bad the tunnel didn't happen (start at Memorial Drive, ends at University Drive). This entire area would've been much quieter and only serving primarily U of C traffic if it happened.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I didn't realize that they were putting bridges at Kensington, 5th and 24th - Crowchild will be so much nicer as a result - so glad that I don't have to live with that construction pain though.

edit: 10 - 30 years?! - by that time self driving cars will be out and they prob wont need to worry about the traffic as much as we wont have idiot drivers on the road.

As a side note I wonder if the military would ever consider relocating from the space on 17th and just build that into more housing.
    Last edited by nzwasp; 10-25-2017 at 09:53 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Details short, medium, long term plans. Much better than PDF surfing.

My Ride
    2018 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 3

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    The section north of Bow River is currently in the mid-term plan so 10-30 years away. The plan is here:

It looks like the affected properties are already city owned based on the map. Druh was actually OK with losing a few houses, because the fixes here will fix 19th Street, which has become a shortcut for everyone and has way more traffic than intended.

It's too bad the tunnel didn't happen (start at Memorial Drive, ends at University Drive). This entire area would've been much quieter and only serving primarily U of C traffic if it happened.
    I didn't realize there were going to be so many changes... think this makes the NW more attractive to live in?
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by dezmarez View Post
    I didn't realize there were going to be so many changes... think this makes the NW more attractive to live in?
    In 20 years, sure haha. Traffic really isn't a huge issue for NW'ers. This section realistically adds 5 mins to a commute at the worst of times, so these changes aren't going to get you to and from downtown that much quicker.

Crowchild bottlenecks really affects the South way more than the North.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by dezmarez View Post
    think this makes the NW more attractive to live in?
    Or I like to think to prevent a shit show that is the south.

edit: 10 - 30 years?! - by that time self driving cars will be out and they prob wont need to worry about the traffic as much as we wont have idiot drivers on the road.
    You will still have 2x the traffic now even if it's all AI. Unless everyone is forced to live in 500sqft apartments in east village.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-25-2017 at 10:31 AM.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Sure wish CoC would quit ass fucking my commute (NW-SE). Sarcee/Glenmore stopped being viable over the summer, just as the COP overpass was finished. Now Crowchild is going to be completely fucked for two years.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
    Sure wish CoC would quit ass fucking my commute (NW-SE). Sarcee/Glenmore stopped being viable over the summer, just as the COP overpass was finished. Now Crowchild is going to be completely fucked for two years.
    Well, move to the dirty SE then.

Yeah, southbound Crowchild was fucked today. Everyone who exits at Bow always merge right the way at the on ramp of Memorial. Creating a grid lock.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Lanes have been narrowed and the wind side to side multiple times.... almost auto-x like at the far north end.

It's going to be epic once the snow flys! hahahah

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

How the fuck is it the city's problem that you choose to live the furthest possible distance from your workplace? I'd say you have yourself to blame.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    How the fuck is it the city's problem that you choose to live the furthest possible distance from your workplace? I'd say you have yourself to blame.
    I've been living here for 6 years, working where I am for 2.5

NDP should ensure that all company salaries can pay for a house within 3.5 km of the work location.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Maybe I like where I live AND like where I work and am willing to commute.

Perish the thought.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well you have that badass wagon so I'll cut you some slack.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Always curious how this works. Do you move whenever you change jobs?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Bow Trail and Crowchild is still going to remain a gongshow and probably will forever. Especially northbound between 17ave and Kensington Road. Whoever originally designed the bridge over the Bow River along Crowchild Tr. should be punched in the face.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Don't mind me, I'm just in a bad mood.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast