Quantcast
Crowchild Tr FYI - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Crowchild Tr FYI

Default Crowchild Tr FYI

Crowchild Trail Corridor Study

The City of Calgary has hired and is working with ISL Engineering and Land Services and Stantec Consulting to conduct a long-term transportation study for the section of Crowchild Trail from 17 Avenue South to 24 Avenue North. The study provides recommendations for future roadway upgrades accommodating all modes of travel while maintaining connections to adjacent communities and amenities.

Public open houses are being held to provide citizens with the opportunity to learn more about the study and proposed future concepts for Crowchild Trail. The same information will be presented at both sessions.

The open houses will be held on:

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 5:00-8:00pm
    Olympic Volunteer Centre, University of Calgary, Red and White Club
    Free parking available on the east side of the building after 5:00pm

Thursday, November 15, 2012 - 5:00-8:00pm
    Marda Loop Communities Association
    3130 – 16 Street SW

The long-term Crowchild Trail Corridor Study will:

Update the 1978 Crowchild Trail Transportation Plan.
    Align Crowchild Trail with the Calgary Transportation Plan.
    Consider walking and cycling connections, Calgary Transit routing, community access, and access to the Centre City.
    Accommodate the Primary Transit Network and the Primary High Occupancy Vehicle Network with a feasibility study from Glenmore Trail S.W. to 16 Avenue N.W., connecting the Activity Centres of the University of Calgary/Foothills Medical Centre, Centre City, and Mount Royal University.
    Consider vehicle movement including goods and commuters.
    Consider appropriate street connections to Crowchild Trail as part of the Calgary Transportation Plan.
    Allow The City to more accurately evaluate proposed changes to the corridor in the future.

Your attendance at this session and feedback regarding the proposed concepts for Crowchild Trail is appreciated. Feedback received will be considered in the final recommendations provided to the City.

For more information about the project visit www.calgary.ca/crowchild

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Re: Crowchild Tr FYI

Originally posted by darthVWader
    The study provides recommendations for future roadway upgrades accommodating all modes of travel
    All modes of travel? I hope we don't go from 1 lane between that stretch to 0 lanes + 1 bike lane.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    AWOL

I hope they take the west LRT into consideration... now that it's built and all

Getting right of the lights at Kensington would make a world of difference.

As for people coming out of downtown merging onto crowchild North who want the memorial exit having to move over 3-4 lanes immediately....not sure how they can reasonably fix that, but that's the other huge bottleneck.

Default Re: Re: Crowchild Tr FYI

Originally posted by rage2

All modes of travel? I hope we don't go from 1 lane between that stretch to 0 lanes + 1 bike lane.
    Dude... it's Nenshi's vision. Nobody will drive cars... everyone will cycle to work.... in -30.

Can't wait for that moron to be gone.
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

My Ride
    whatever I feel like

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

As for people coming out of downtown merging onto crowchild North who want the memorial exit having to move over 3-4 lanes immediately....not sure how they can reasonably fix that, but that's the other huge bottleneck.
    Can do this instead no?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Agree'd with above that the current mayor is a moron...(just doesn't get it).

This is going to be another huge waste of tax payers $. Once the review is done they will hire 100 "construction" workers who are overpaid sacks of dirt who take 50 times longer to complete a job than any other workers in any other part of the world. There will be 12 guys standing around with shovels chatting while 1 does work...

Provides minimal pedestrian and cycling crossings.

I love how it's 1 lane, in a weave zone, bottlenecked by traffic lights and there are no shoulders. Maybe they'll split it into two bike lanes to double the capacity
    Last edited by J-D; 11-05-2012 at 05:42 PM.

If you're a motorist you can just about bet on the fact the new plan will in NO way improve the flow of traffic for you. Nenshi the "Purple Menace" and the majority of this current Council have got to go. They live in a fantasy dreamland, and continue to blow taxpayers money on needless, pointless and horribly implemented plans that achieve nothing but frustrating the average Calgarian.

My wife asked me if I'm so upset about it why don't I attend the open houses? I responded with "whats the point?" The City has already made up there mind on what to do, these open houses are nothing but protocol. I'll voice my opinion in the next election and hope to bring about change that way.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by NoMoreG35
    Can do this instead no?
    The left turn only gets about 6 or 7 cars through, so it would back up the left lane like crazy, which in effect would back up all traffic from downtown (Bow Trail) onto Crowchild. That's the biggest problem, downtown traffic using Crowchild to get to Memorial. People use Crowchild because 9th/10th street bridge and 14th street bridge access to Memorial is working at capacity and is slow as balls, so crowchild is faster. I used to do this myself when I lived in Varsity.

If you take out the left turn at kensington road (no access to memorial) and create a pylon barrier on the left lane on crowchild (where bow trail and 10th ave downtown traffic feeds in) and extend that barrier past the memorial turnoff on crowchild, this would get rid of all downtown traffic using crowchild to get onto memorial, but still allow south traffic to get onto memorial. That would reduce a huge amount of lane changing that causes congestion there, while still allowing traffic from the south to access memorial drive in both directions.

Of course, that would jam up the other bridges for people wanting to get onto memorial from downtown and probably cause other issues.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

It's a really expensive idea, but they should build an overpass that connects the right lane on Bow trail right to the memorial exit lane on crowchild. And do it at the bow trail bridge.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by joegrang
    It's a really expensive idea, but they should build an overpass that connects the right lane on Bow trail right to the memorial exit lane on crowchild. And do it at the bow trail bridge.
    That'll just move the weave from the left to the right. Won't change anything.

Like I said, the best way is to block downtown traffic heading to memorial via Crowchild completely, but still allow northbound traffic from the south to get onto Memorial. That'll clean things up quite a bit. To get things flowing better, we'll still have to remove all the lights, because the ones at Kensington, Banff Trail, and 24th Ave are the rush hour bottlenecks. Both the memorial restrictions as well as removal of lights needs to be done in order to flow traffic better.

To get everything working perfectly, we'll need more lanes, as Crowchild literally chokes down to 1 single lane northbound between bow trail and 16th Ave (if you don't want to change lanes).

Here's a not to scale diagram I drew a while back of all the lanes, turnoffs, and feeders on crowchild northbound between bow trail and 24th Ave. When you look at it this way, it's very easy to see why it's such a gong show, how it goes from 3 lanes and back to 3 lanes. I haven't even added in lights lol.

is this the Third survey from the incompetent and indecisive coward of a mayor or the same one?

my 2 cents: the only real solution would be Raised causeway and the intersections underneath but i'm sure the city will find a more useless way to spend twice as much over the next 10 years. I'll be long gone before anything happens.
    2011 Chevy Colorado Z71 - 5.3L LH9 - Daily driver
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

"Our" mayor will tweet about it, then open more bike lanes. Its the way to go in an ever growing city.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Wasn't there a survey a few months ago? Could have sworn I already voiced my opinion about this twice recently. Is this a new survey or the same one?

+1 for getting rid of Nenshi. Some of his ideas aren't terrible, but they just don't work in the real world. They'd work in fantasy world. Where he lives. With cuddly purple taxpaying teddy bears and more bicycle lanes than car lanes. Can't wait for the next election.

What is it with Governments (all around the world) trying to alleviate traffic problems by just making it harder and harder for motorists to get around. Thank God we don't have a pay for use road tax or congestion charge, but I'm sure Nenshi's thought of it.

Bike lanes simply don't work in an urban sprawl. I drive so I can get places fast. If I were to go from Cranston to the University, in February, I sure as shit would not be peddling

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by btimbit
    Bike lanes simply don't work in an urban sprawl. I drive so I can get places fast. If I were to go from Cranston to the University, in February, I sure as shit would not be peddling
    Not to mention retarded winters. Trying to force Vancouver style bike lanes on us is ridiculous. It's 1/4 of the footprint of Calgary, flat, and isn't fucking freezing half the year. Not to mention being at sea level, which makes biking easier.

The odds are against us to be using cycling as a primary mode of transportation year round.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Not to mention retarded winters. Trying to force Vancouver style bike lanes on us is ridiculous. It's 1/4 of the footprint of Calgary, flat, and isn't fucking freezing half the year. Not to mention being at sea level, which makes biking easier.

The odds are against us to be using cycling as a primary mode of transportation year round.
    The only way you could make that work in Calgary....
    Snowmobiles in bike lanes.
    Last edited by btimbit; 11-05-2012 at 11:43 PM.

My Ride
    old Toyotas

ugh do we really need an open house?

-Just get rid of the 4 set of lights by bridge/block the streets, -widen the the bridge going over bow trail
    -have at least 3 lanes going straight from south of DT to north west

I'm gonna try and go to the open house and I urge anyone else who's frustrated to go and at least try to voice their point. I hope it won't be filled with people from the surrounding neighbourhoods wanting less traffic.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by syritis

my 2 cents: the only real solution would be Raised causeway and the intersections underneath but i'm sure the city will find a more useless way to spend twice as much over the next 10 years. I'll be long gone before anything happens.
    That's the only real fix. 2 raised lanes each way from Bow trail to 24th ave, no turnoffs, no lights.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by btimbit

What is it with Governments (all around the world) trying to alleviate traffic problems by just making it harder and harder for motorists to get around. Thank God we don't have a pay for use road tax or congestion charge, but I'm sure Nenshi's thought of it.
    We have a congestion charge.

We have the highest or second highest parking rates in North America.

The City is also actively reducing the amount of parking downtown with new high rise developments to "tax" and encourage people to use alternative means of getting to the DT core.

There are far fewer parking spots in DT Calgary than there were 10 years ago.

I have heard that many developements have to remove floors of undersground parking. The new 3 eauclair building doesn't even have enough spots to give a parking spot to each unit, let alone replace the spots that are removed from the surface lot where it is going to be built.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast