Quantcast
Vent: bad experience at a dealership Precision Hyundai - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Vent: bad experience at a dealership Precision Hyundai

My Ride
    2007 Avalanche LTZ

Default Vent: bad experience at a dealership

Me and my boyfriend Tyler recently purchased a used vehicle from Precision Hyundai (sept 8th, 2012) based on the quality and price it was being sold for. The AMVIC inspection was clean of any repairs or leaks that needed to be addressed. The day after having the vehicle, the "low oil" reminder light came on. I am a registered automotive apprentice and work for a family owned shop that is licensed to do AMVIC inspections as well. I took it upon myself to bring the vehicle into my work to have a look at the leak to see if the matter could be resolved easily. The vehicle had what appeared to be an oil pan leak but a shampoo needed to be done to verify due to the amount of oil everywhere. While in the shop a few other repairs that weren't marked on hyundai's report were very obvious, like a very loose tierod end, sticky key/ignition (new keys ordered by VIN and still had issues), leaking front shock and a damaged rear shock. Now keep in mind this was the saturday following us purchasing it (sept 15th). I didn't have time to do a full overall look due to time restrictions (shop is closed on Saturdays but the boss was in briefly so I had enough time to check out the leak). Tyler spoke with Rich at hyundai Monday (sept17th) on the phone and had it booked in on Oct 10 for a reinspection (oct 4th was the earliest spot they had available for us but Tyler was out of town till that weekend, so the 10th was the next opening they had). When dropping the truck off, he verbally mentioned the 4 obvious repairs and asked that a FULL inspection be done again to make sure nothing else was over looked. We decided to give them the benefit of doubt cuz obiously someone was just checking off boxes on their AMVIC sheet that day. When getting the vehicle back (on friday Oct 12), we did not receive a reinspection form, and only the repairs that Tyler verbally noted were looked at. We got a new key that seemed to have fixed the ignition issue, tierod and rear shock were also fixed. We received a repair receipt with a $0 balance owing, with nothing being done about the front shock leak or any mention of any leaks. I decided to take the vehicle into my work and perform a full overall inspection myself (on saturday Oct 13th).
    Upon inspection, I found the following:
    front rotors below discard (spec from Mitchell on demand)
    rear u-joint has play
    both lower balljoints have play (more than the 0.5mm allowed)
    power steering and transmission lines leaking (and not just sweating, leaking)
    possible oil pan leak (still required shampoo)
    brake fluid measured at 4%+ water content
    Leak in front shock and an occasional knock in the front end while turning
    Wiperblades so streaky you can't see out of the windshield (one ripped and flappin around)
    Also noted:
    rear differential fluid very dirty (looked like it had never been serviced)
    hard shift in transmission from 1st to 2nd gear

The following monday (oct 15) Tyler phoned Rich to let him know there is a list of items they missed on the second inspection. Rich then asked for a copy of the inspection I had done. That was sent over on October 16th immediately after I went back in to work to pay for my invoice and pick up a copy myself. No response from Rich when I emailed him a copy (had called hyundai and another service advisor gave me his email because I wasnt able to find it on their website)
    Oct 22 I sent him a follow up email to check in with him since no reply was given to me. The following conversation happened with dates noted:

Oct 22: "Hi Rich, Just touching base with you about the 2007 Avalanche purchased by Tyler xxxxx. If you could call or email me or him to discuss the vehicles repairs that need to be done. (emails/#'s provided) Thanks"

Oct 22: "Hi Missy, Sorry for the delay getting back to you , I have been away sick for a few days & my GM has also been away on business , I am taking a copy of the inspections to him today and hopefully will get back to you today or tomorrow moring with the next step in getting your issues with the Avalanche resolved .. Thank you for your patience"

Oct 23rd&24th: no response

Oct 25: "Hi Rich, Still awaiting your response. I feel like this issue is not being dealt with in a timely manner. Please advise me when your next available time slot for repairs is, and the issue of the engine oil leak needs to be addressed as the low oil light has been on several times since purchased and should not be up to the customer to diagnose. I will need to speak to you about how long the vehicle will be in the shop as a rental may need to be arranged.Thank you"

Oct 25: "Hi Missy, I sent you a message last week , unfortunately the GM is out of town for the week , the earliest slot I have available to get in and diagnosis done is Nov 7th, let me know if this will work for you, As far as a Courtesy car, I do not have any available for that date.. if another date after that will work if you Require a Courtesy vehicle. ** i will not be able to get authorization for any repairs until the GM has given me the OK. so I will certainly have an answer for you by the time you are here for your appointment, Again I apologize for any inconvenience.. "

Oct 25: "Hey Rich,Yes I did receive your email last week stating a response that day or the following. Please advise me the next available date with a courtesy vehicle (SUV/crossover/4 door truck) that I may bring the avalanche in to have an AMVIC inspection redone stating any and all faults with the vehicle. Then we can discuss repair time or the option of your shop reclaiming the vehicle. Me and Tyler have discussed a few things and understand that the truck was priced fairly low, but for the thousands of dollars in repairs it needs, we wouldn't have bought it As Is. Reliability was our main concern, which is why we chose to purchase from an AMVIC licensed shop rather than privately. Thanks "

Oct 25: "Hi Again Missy, As stated in my previous e-mail, The earliest date I have available is Nov , If a loaner is required for the diag the available date is Nov 8. , As far as a loaner goes, I do not have any SUV/crossover/4door trucks available, The Courtesy vehicles we supply are small 4 door cars, ** Courtesy cars are limited so if you could get back to me ASAP it would be appreciated as the appointments with them fill up fast.. A full re-inspection will be done when the vehicle is brought in.. Who was the technician who looked at this vehicle ? According to your Invoice from LADS AUTO, the technician name is yours.... and why did these items on this Invoice not get noticed on the other inspection you had done after you purchased the vehicle when the tie-rod & rear air shock were noticed? Awaiting your reply "

Oct 25: "Hi Rich, I'm the technician that noted those issues. And the first inspection wasn't an inspection. It was an oil change/look at why the low oil light keeps coming on, those were "visual/happened to have noticed" issues. It was brought back to you so that you could reinspect it, but when repairs were done minus any notes on leaks, it was Apparent only issue mentioned were fixed. I am not licensed to do AMVIC inspections which is why the invoice does not state it as one. I have a 2+ month old and a 160 pound dog, I need a vehicle large enough to haul them around. November 8th works fine. Lmk"

Oct 25: "Hi Missy, will book for Nov 8 , and as I mentioned, the only veh I have available is 2013 Hyundai elantra GT for our Service Loaners , I will book for Nov 8, let me know if anything chagnes"

Oct 25: "Hi Rich, Thank you, see you nov 8th."
    Then 10 days later I got the following:

Nov 5: "Hi Missy , Rich from Precision Hyundai here, I have spoken with the GM regarding your upcoming appointment for the Avalanche. At this point we are not willing to re-do an AMVIC inspection on a vehicle that you now have had in your possession for over 2 months now. This is a USED vehicle with 150,XXX km @ purchase and had mentioned leaks that you were aware of PRE-PURCHASE. All of the items that you have mentioned in your own inspection @ "your shop", were not present in the prior inspection that your mechanic did when you found the shock and tie-rod issue, and 2. Had passed on our inspection in Feb, 2011.. At this time we see no reason to bring your Avalanche in on Nov 8th, unless you are wanting us to diagnose and repair at your expense."

Currently an estimate is being done to assess all the repairs needed and so far, retail, it is up in the thousands!! Hyundai is not willing to do any repairs despite the fact that we gave them a second and third chance to reinspect it, they fixed the bare minimum and handed it back to us hoping that would be the end of it. Shame on you Hyundai!

Call the owner.
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 11-06-2012 at 06:20 PM.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

WALL OF TEXT
    Didn't read.

Clifs?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by swak
    WALL OF TEXT
    Didn't read.

Clifs?
    Its broken out into paragraphs and written quite clear, if you're that interested just skim it.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    2007 Avalanche LTZ

Originally posted by swak
    WALL OF TEXT
    Didn't read.

Clifs?
    This about sums it up: "Hi Missy , Rich from Precision Hyundai here, I have spoken with the GM regarding your upcoming appointment for the Avalanche. At this point we are not willing to re-do an AMVIC inspection on a vehicle that you now have had in your possession for over 2 months now. This is a USED vehicle with 150,XXX km @ purchase and had mentioned leaks that you were aware of PRE-PURCHASE. All of the items that you have mentioned in your own inspection @ "your shop", were not present in the prior inspection that your mechanic did when you found the shock and tie-rod issue, and 2. Had passed on our inspection in Feb, 2011.. At this time we see no reason to bring your Avalanche in on Nov 8th, unless you are wanting us to diagnose and repair at your expense

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Do dealerships not allow you to take used cars to get inspections else where?

http://www.amvic.org/consumers_tipsh...ssessments.cfm

"Check the date of the assessment. It is valid for 120 days."

I would probably go to amvic as well as the GM. Trust me, nothing lights a fire under a dealer's ass like the risk of losing their amvic certification because they've done a minor fuck up. If you can prove the assessment wasn't complete/through you may have some ground to fight on.

From experience amvic's inspections are completely arbitrary and dependent on the mechanic inspecting the vehicle and how through they actually check into things.

So a question about AMVIC - is this sort of like the Calgary BBB which so many Beyonders think has big teeth but really doesn't?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Had passed on our inspection in Feb, 2011
    Lol. I wonder how many salesmen drove it home in the 18 months they had it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    2007 Avalanche LTZ

Submitted a complaint with AMVIC yesterday. I will be calling Precision tomorrow because the whole "had for 2 months" excuse is BS!.. If there wasnt anything wrong with their initial AMVIc, then why replace a tierod and $500+ air ride shock? hmmm

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Dont mean to thread hijack, but it sure is cool you're a chick, and also an apprentice mechanic.

To clarify, you should have said "My boyfriend Tyler and I" when starting off this thread.

Yeah get AMVIC involved for sure. Their trying hard to sweep you guys under a rug.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    2007 Avalanche LTZ

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Lol. I wonder how many salesmen drove it home in the 18 months they had it.
    Oh the manager admitted to driving it, had 5k more on it than the amvic inspection.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Default Re: Vent: bad experience at a dealership

Originally posted by meemoe
    I am a registered automotive apprentice and work for a family owned shop that is licensed to do AMVIC inspections as well......

.......a few other repairs that weren't marked on hyundai's report were very obvious, like a very loose tierod end, sticky key/ignition (new keys ordered by VIN and still had issues), leaking front shock and a damaged rear shock......

..... We decided to give them the benefit of doubt cuz obiously someone was just checking off boxes on their AMVIC sheet that day. When getting the vehicle back (on friday Oct 12), we did not receive a reinspection form, and only the repairs that Tyler verbally noted were looked at. We got a new key that seemed to have fixed the ignition issue, tierod and rear shock were also fixed. We received a repair receipt with a $0 balance owing, with nothing being done about the front shock leak or any mention of any leaks. I decided to take the vehicle into my work and perform a full overall inspection myself (on saturday Oct 13th).
    Upon inspection, I found the following:
    front rotors below discard (spec from Mitchell on demand)
    rear u-joint has play
    both lower balljoints have play (more than the 0.5mm allowed)
    power steering and transmission lines leaking (and not just sweating, leaking)
    possible oil pan leak (still required shampoo)
    brake fluid measured at 4%+ water content
    Leak in front shock and an occasional knock in the front end while turning
    Wiperblades so streaky you can't see out of the windshield (one ripped and flappin around)
    Also noted:
    rear differential fluid very dirty (looked like it had never been serviced)
    hard shift in transmission from 1st to 2nd gear
    ......Blah Blah Blah Blah......

Me and Tyler have discussed a few things and understand that the truck was priced fairly low, but for the thousands of dollars in repairs it needs, we wouldn't have bought it As Is. Reliability was our main concern, which is why we chose to purchase from an AMVIC licensed shop rather than privately. Thanks "

Oct 25: "Who was the technician who looked at this vehicle ? According to your Invoice from LADS AUTO, the technician name is yours.... and why did these items on this Invoice not get noticed on the other inspection you had done after you purchased the vehicle when the tie-rod & rear air shock were noticed? Awaiting your reply "

Nov 5: "Hi Missy , Rich from Precision Hyundai here, I have spoken with the GM regarding your upcoming appointment for the Avalanche. At this point we are not willing to re-do an AMVIC inspection on a vehicle that you now have had in your possession for over 2 months now. This is a USED vehicle with 150,XXX km @ purchase and had mentioned leaks that you were aware of PRE-PURCHASE. All of the items that you have mentioned in your own inspection @ "your shop", were not present in the prior inspection that your mechanic did when you found the shock and tie-rod issue, and 2. Had passed on our inspection in Feb, 2011.. At this time we see no reason to bring your Avalanche in on Nov 8th, unless you are wanting us to diagnose and repair at your expense."

Currently an estimate is being done to assess all the repairs needed and so far, retail, it is up in the thousands!! Hyundai is not willing to do any repairs despite the fact that we gave them a second and third chance to reinspect it, they fixed the bare minimum and handed it back to us hoping that would be the end of it. Shame on you Hyundai!

Good Grief you are a terrible customer, and apparently an even worse "mechanic". Good luck trying to pin your buyers remorse on the company.

Another useless negative review, people are so entitled in this world, makes it so hard to be in business.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

This is why when purchasing a USED vehicle, the terms of the sale is to have an independent inspection done. Trying to get a dealership to do repairs AFTER the sale is almost always never going to happen.

At this point, I would file a complaint with AMVIC that the first inspection was done fraudulently, backed up by the reports you have from your own shops.

That alone will make them sweat, of course, if what you say is true.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    2007 Avalanche LTZ

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    Dont mean to thread hijack, but it sure is cool you're a chick, and also an apprentice mechanic.

To clarify, you should have said "My boyfriend Tyler and I" when starting off this thread.

Yeah get AMVIC involved for sure. Their trying hard to sweep you guys under a rug.
    Well thanks, havent met any other females other than in school... Which by the way, last year was only 4 in the sait building, and 2 the year before. (its nice having your own bathroom tho!)

And im wondering if theres any other places I should contact... BBB? etc

Originally posted by speedog
    So a question about AMVIC - is this sort of like the Calgary BBB which so many Beyonders think has big teeth but really doesn't?
    Mostly yes, you basically have a right to request an independent mechanical inspection, most people are lazy and forget the independent part. The end result is a mechanic who is on good terms with the dealer and looking for repeat business inspects your car. The onus is on you to get an independent mechanic to inspect the car. My question to OP is, why didn't you inspect the vehicle yourself/ have somebody from your shop do it? If the dealer refuses this you have reason to be suspect immediately.

My Ride
    2007 Avalanche LTZ

Default Re: Re: Vent: bad experience at a dealership

Originally posted by GTS4tw

Good Grief you are a terrible customer, and apparently an even worse "mechanic". Good luck trying to pin your buyers remorse on the company.

Another useless negative review, people are so entitled in this world, makes it so hard to be in business.
    I dont see how a lazy mechanic signing AMVIC inspections without looking at anything should rest on the customer. Regardless of occupation. And I wasnt the purchaser, the bf was. Ive given sh** already because it was "Look what I bought" sort of thing.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

And im wondering if theres any other places I should contact... BBB? etc
    Hyundai Canada probably. Once the really big wigs get involved, that'll change the tone of the dealings once Precision has them breathing down their backs. They should be advised of the situation regardless.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Default Re: Vent: bad experience at a dealership

Me and my boyfriend Tyler recently purchased a used vehicle from Precision Hyundai (sept 8th, 2012) based on the quality and price it was being sold for.
    Hi...my name is arif...it's really nice to e-meet you...

Firstly...I wanna welcome you to our humble forums...It is quite sad that someone stumbles across us only to post up something negative about an experience that they want to shed more light and attention on. Versus happening upon a meet, or someone at a show or something that mentions beyond and new members join on a positive note you know what I mean??...

Anyhow...I am sort of the official beyond welcoming committee...and that being said if you need anything, or have questions about the forum then by all means please ask. Being one of the many moderators here and a part of the admin team I can help you with pretty much any sort of issue that might arise on beyond. As for your boyfriend...he can find his own way around as I am sure that he is competent enough to do so....

But for you...and any needs you might have please do not hesitate to pm me, or anything for any assistance...

I hope that you have a fantastic rest of your day, and that your issue with the dealership gets resolved in a timely and amicable manner...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    2015 Ford Focus SE

Default Re: Re: Vent: bad experience at a dealership

Originally posted by EK 2.0

Hi...my name is arif...it's really nice to e-meet you...

Firstly...I wanna welcome you to our humble forums...It is quite sad that someone stumbles across us only to post up something negative about an experience that they want to shed more light and attention on. Versus happening upon a meet, or someone at a show or something that mentions beyond and new members join on a positive note you know what I mean??...

Anyhow...I am sort of the official beyond welcoming committee...and that being said if you need anything, or have questions about the forum then by all means please ask. Being one of the many moderators here and a part of the admin team I can help you with pretty much any sort of issue that might arise on beyond. As for your boyfriend...he can find his own way around as I am sure that he is competent enough to do so....

But for you...and any needs you might have please do not hesitate to pm me, or anything for any assistance...

I hope that you have a fantastic rest of your day, and that your issue with the dealership gets resolved in a timely and amicable manner...
    The e-mack is BACK....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB1D9wWxd2w
    Originally posted by rage2 in 2002
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast