Quantcast
Basement Developments - Huge difference in pricing - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 9 10

Thread: Basement Developments - Huge difference in pricing

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Originally posted by flipstah
    Should've went HD projector.
    that's what I did. Best investment I've ever made

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Meh, grew up with projectors, not a fan. Plus, the ambient potlights looks awesome. That shit's expensive, I'm keepin' em on haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Skateboard

Originally posted by rage2
    Meh, grew up with projectors, not a fan
    I see what you did there

Looks great Raj. 89coupe is going to say the tv is too high.

Originally posted by Perfect Dark

Doesn't carpet usually go in before baseboard?
    Nope. Baseboards should be first. Competent woodworkers know how much gap to leave for the carpet.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Originally posted by rage2
    Meh, grew up with projectors, not a fan. Plus, the ambient potlights looks awesome. That shit's expensive, I'm keepin' em on haha.
    With the right projector screen from ScreenInnovations, you can have any light without losing clarity, but the 100" screen is around 3,000 for the Black Diamond series

Www.screeninnovations.com

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Getting our basement started this week. Contractor was using those subfloor tiles vs the subfloor membrane stuff.

I was wondering what I should do for networking ports. In the unfinished basement I had a network cable coming through the airvent into the basement becasue I didnt want to drill a hole in the side of the basement for the poe camera on front. I also have my wifi router in the stairwell currently but I should move it to the main floor and hook up the ethernet with some wall ports. Did you guys wire your basement for ethernet or just use wifi?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

always wire everything.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

One thing to also do when looking for materials such as carpet or blinds to to go to the commercial dealers instead of retail. You can get a much better price and have access to a larger selection of product. They may not have it all displayed but will almost always bring in samples for you.
    Last edited by Lex350; 07-24-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Lex350 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Should have called me. I do 3d walk throughs for a living all be it usually commercial spaces.

Even if you start with a set of specifications it doesn't mean you can modify them as you go. That's just a change order but at least you know the minimum build requirement going in. I also think it is very important to know the trades going in so you can get a feel for the quality of work they do.
    Damn, I'll keep that in mind for the next project. This was 5 years ago, still very happy with our space. Only complaint is how much we spent on low voltage pot lights, which in turn was replaced with LED bulbs anyways. Should've just went with line voltage LED potlights. I actually have no idea what would happen if our low voltage transformers break. Do I have to rip open my basement roof to get to it?
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I actually have no idea what would happen if our low voltage transformers break. Do I have to rip open my basement roof to get to it?
    Depends on where they were installed, haha. If they installed them in the ceiling you'd have to access them for replacement, yeah. Kinda surprised they didn't install the transformers near the panel box and just run the LV wire to the lights rather than running NMD90 into the ceiling. Transformers are generally pretty reliable, though.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    Depends on where they were installed, haha. If they installed them in the ceiling you'd have to access them for replacement, yeah. Kinda surprised they didn't install the transformers near the panel box and just run the LV wire to the lights rather than running NMD90 into the ceiling. Transformers are generally pretty reliable, though.
    Yea, they're in the ceiling so I'd have to cut the fucking ceiling to get to it then. The lighting contractor guy we got was this stubborn super anal guy. I told him I wanted LEDs but he was adamant on light beam, color temp and all sorts of other strict rules of lighting that only he cares about and can only be accomplished with low voltage pot lights. I just don't want to change bulbs, and have a decent 3500k ish temperature. After he was done, I swapped all the bulbs out to LEDs the next day. He was pissed off that I fucked with his beam. In hindsight, should've told him to beat it and have a 2nd opinion, but we were in a crunch to get the basement done for our live in nanny at the time.

You were threatening his margins.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Yeesh. I hope you have some idea (or even pictures) of where he installed the transformers, nobody wants to play the "punch holes in the ceiling and hope you find the dead transformer" game. Maybe he had enough brain cells to install the transformers so that they're accessible once the pot light enclosures are removed. Good news is that especially with LED bulbs, draw on those transformers will be super low and they should live for ages. It's not like the transformers for your doorbell or thermostat need replacing regularly. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 9 10