Quantcast
News Host "Molberg" wishes for death and a plane crash - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: News Host "Molberg" wishes for death and a plane crash

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Default News Host "Molberg" wishes for death and a plane crash

CALGARY — A Calgary sports radio personality apologized Thursday for making what he called a “stupid and idiotic” on-air comment suggesting he hoped the Saskatchewan Roughriders’ plane would crash and four of the players die.

Dean (Boomer) Molberg, a morning show co-host at Sportsnet 960 The FAN, made the comment Wednesday while discussing the Stampeders’ upcoming CFL playoff game against the visiting Roughriders, said program director Kelly Kirch.

Molberg apologized on the air Thursday and in a statement on the station’s website.

“It was an attempt at being funny, which in the end was neither funny nor appropriate. Not even close,” Molberg said on the website. “It was clearly not thought out, for if it was I’d have never said it. There is no excuse for it, and I’m not in any way looking to defend my actions.

“This was in no way, shape or form a ratings ploy or an attempt to garner attention to myself or the radio station. I made a mistake.”

Four members of the Saskatchewan Roughriders — defensive end Gordon Sturtridge, centre/tight end Mel Becket, guard Mario DeMarco and offensive lineman Ray Syrnyk — were killed in a plane crash in 1956 along with Winnipeg Blue Bombers offensive guard Calvin Jones.

A total of 62 people died when the plane went down into Mount Slesse near Chilliwack, as players were returning from an all-star game in Vancouver.

All four Roughriders had their numbers retired by the club. The tragedy was the subject of the documentary, “The Crash of Flight 810.”

There was no immediate word on whether Molberg would be disciplined by the station.

Kirch issued an apology on the station’s Facebook page, calling Molberg’s comment “offside.”

“It was a misguided attempt at humour,” he said. “Our station, our company and of course myself as the program director do not condone this comment. It was uncalled for and embarrassing for our entire staff here at the station.

“I would like to offer my sincere apology to go along with Dean’s on-air apology that was aired today.”

Stampeders president Lyle Bauer also issued a statement Thursday.

“On behalf of the Calgary Stampeder Football Club, I would like to state that we do not in any manner condone the highly inappropriate comments made Wednesday morning by an on-air employee of Sportsnet 960 concerning the Saskatchewan Roughriders,” he said. “These comments do not reflect the views of the football club or of the Canadian Football League and we can not stress enough that they have no place in our sport.

“We pride ourselves on fierce rivalries and intense competition but also our great partnerships with the other Canadian Football clubs including the Roughriders. We look forward to Sunday’s West Division semifinal at McMahon Stadium against Saskatchewan and know the contest will be hotly contested but played in the spirit of sportsmanship that we value so highly.”

The winner of Sunday’s game will visit the B.C. Lions on Nov. 18 in the Western final.

The Grey Cup will be played Nov. 25 in Toronto.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2BgJFAX4i

Sounds like something Rob Anders would say
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by ZenOps
    Sounds like something Rob Anders would say
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

It's too bad nobody has any sense of comedy. Both the people who are offended and will probably want him fired because they don't understand the difference between a joke and actually wanting it to happen, and the people who have no idea of what it actually takes to tell a joke without looking like an uncomfortable asshole.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

People are dumb. Lighten up.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by Mar
    People are dumb. Lighten up.
    This.

Who hasn't said a stupid thing where their brain and mouth weren't properly engaging each other. I sure as hell know the poster I quoted has!

But seriously, if this guy loses his job over this then his employer is a fucking retard. The fact they've suspended him for the rest of the CFL season is already a ridiculous over-reaction.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

I dunno... His JOB is to know the rules about what can be broadcast over radio.

I mean, I will let a hair pass in a loaf of bread that a relative makes, but there is no way I'd let a hair pass in a loaf of bread coming from a baker.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I mean, I will let a hair pass in a loaf of bread that a relative makes, but there is no way I'd let a hair pass in a loaf of bread coming from a baker.
    But would you accept an apology, maybe a full nickel refund, and carry on with your day or would you demand the baker be punished/pay docked/fired?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

I don't think that hair in a loaf of bread is really a viable analogy.

Now imagine if Suncor had a live press conference and one of the speakers said 'I hope that there's an accident at one of the other guy's rigs that kills some roughnecks' I'd be willing to bet there'd be some disciplinary action taken, including a suspension to deal with PR.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

I was listening when he said it, and I laughed...

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

But would you accept an apology, maybe a full nickel refund, and carry on with your day or would you demand the baker be punished/pay docked/fired?
    steinberg, molberg, mahar, lol
    Last edited by thetransporter; 11-10-2012 at 03:37 PM.

My Ride
    toyota MR2

I love the morning show! People who are saying he should be fired need to relax!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

That's one of the more lucid things I've ever seen you post on here.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I don't think there's a "rule" about tasteful jokes, though.

I'm familiar with the radio station, but not all that familiar with the talent. So I don't know what this guys actual "job" was. I'm assuming part of his job is to be entertaining, which includes telling jokes. If there's no black and white rule defining what is okay and what isn't, I have a hard time faulting him for stepping over "the line".

Using your hair-bread analogy, it's more like a certain amount of air is acceptable, but there's no actual set limit on the amount of hair. It's not the baker's fault if you won't or can't define a limit.

All that said, I think I have a pretty good understanding of the make up of a joke. The timing, the delivery, the cadence, how the setup is structured, where the punchline fits in, all that stuff. If his job is telling jokes, then he needs to know that too. It's annoying to have people who have no sense of how a joke works, telling shitty jokes and fucking it up for everyone else.

In summary, I hate people who want people fired because they stepped over some boundary that wasn't applied until after the fact, and I hate people who should know better and put themselves in that position anyway. But I hate the former much, much more.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

remember this guy: