Quantcast
Microsoft Surface RT - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Microsoft Surface RT

My Ride
    a car

Default Microsoft Surface RT

I am trying to decide between the MS Surface and IPad 4. Is there anywhere in Calgary to see the MS Surface in person? I know that Edmonton has a MS store.

Also anyone have experience with Quick Office for the IPad, is it usable for editing documents?
    Last edited by smc; 11-10-2012 at 12:45 PM.
    Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

As far as I know, only Edmonton at the moment.

I have a Surface RT. I bought one on the first day in Seattle.

I would buy the iPad. The Surface is an interesting device but it is slow. In my case, it is so slow it is unusable.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by 483hp

I would buy the iPad. The Surface is an interesting device but it is slow. In my case, it is so slow it is unusable.
    Most of the reviews online are pretty positive, to state that its "unusable" is most likely grossly exaggerated
    Last edited by eblend; 11-11-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Surface RT is terrible in pretty much every way. Hardware and Software. What you really want is the Surface Pro which is basically an ultrabook in a 1080p 10" form factor. By the time is comes out though you might as well wait for Haswell, then you’ll actually be able to do some respectable gaming on it too. Could easily replace most people’s desktop, latptop and tablets into once device.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by eblend

Most of the reviews online are pretty positive, to state that its "unusable" is most likely grossly exaggerated
    That's smart. Argue with the guy who has one in his hand by quoting online reviews... yeah. You thought that one through didn't you..

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

What is slow on it? I haven't tried a surface but I have played with the Asus RT tablet at BestBuy, it was smooth and fast at everything I did on it. Put any Android tablet to shame. Same hardware as the surface basically. I will say these RT tablets seem to be way over priced... the Asus is $599.
    Last edited by ZEDGE; 11-11-2012 at 01:30 PM.

My Ride
    SJ9

Got one as a gift and sold it on craigslist two days later. It shows a lot of promise but I would wait atleast a generation or two for them to hammer out the little problems.

My Ride

Originally posted by codetrap

That's smart. Argue with the guy who has one in his hand by quoting online reviews... yeah. You thought that one through didn't you..
    I never seen the dude on here, for all I know he is some raging apple fanboy in disguise, so yes I would rather trust multiple online sources over one person who doesn't even look familiar to me...

So to your logic, online reviews from multiple sources are useless when compared to one random dude online...

Not trying to start a fight...but right back at you, you thought that one through didn't you..

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by ZEDGE
    _ I will say these RT tablets seem to be way over priced... the Asus is $599.
    When you lose 16GB to OS instead of 1GB like iOS or Android, your cost goes up.

Unusable? Here are a few examples.

Reply to an email that is very rich with HTML: keystrokes won't even register unless you wait for a few seconds.

Send email: in some cases I have seen the sync process to send email take minutes.

MS Word: editing an admittedly large document boggs the device down and keystrokes like the arrow keys will take a few seconds to register.

Wi Fi is slow for some reason.

Windows Store is quite vacant at the moment. Many of the apps you rely on likely arent there.

I do like the keyboard. They have got that right. There are pins on the edge that detect when the keyboard is clipped. The keyboard (except for the hot keys) disables when you fold it back.

Am I an Apple fanboy? No. I buy one of every new device for development. A RT 16 GB is the device that defines the minimum capability on Win 8. Some of you guys need to settle down. Someone else said it and I agree. RT seems like an unfinished product. Wait a little longer. The Microsoft RT tablet will not replace your notebook computer. The Surface Pro has an i5 with 4GB memory and some real storage. It will be much better but there still are some shortcomings with the OS apps if you are a power user. For example, you cannot categorize emails and flag as complete. You cannot adjust your Exchange rules. The capability of the Mail app is very simple, my Windows Phone 7.5 was much better for email.

My Ride

Unusable? Here are a few examples.

Reply to an email that is very rich with HTML: keystrokes won't even register unless you wait for a few seconds.

Send email: in some cases I have seen the sync process to send email take minutes.

MS Word: editing an admittedly large document boggs the device down and keystrokes like the arrow keys will take a few seconds to register.

Wi Fi is slow for some reason.

Windows Store is quite vacant at the moment. Many of the apps you rely on likely arent there.

I do like the keyboard. They have got that right. There are pins on the edge that detect when the keyboard is clipped. The keyboard (except for the hot keys) disables when you fold it back.

Am I an Apple fanboy? No. I buy one of every new device for development. A RT 16 GB is the device that defines the minimum capability on Win 8. Some of you guys need to settle down. Someone else said it and I agree. RT seems like an unfinished product. Wait a little longer. The Microsoft RT tablet will not replace your notebook computer. The Surface Pro has an i5 with 4GB memory and some real storage. It will be much better but there still are some shortcomings with the OS apps if you are a power user. For example, you cannot categorize emails and flag as complete. You cannot adjust your Exchange rules. The capability of the Mail app is very simple, my Windows Phone 7.5 was much better for email.
    Thanks for the info. I am planning on getting the pro myself as I travel a lot, and need something that will get me through a trip. I used to have an HP touchpad for this purpose but got rid of it as it didn't do everything I needed, Ipad for me would have never worked as I need flash, so the surface pro should be exactly what I would like to have, a tablet for all intents and purposes, but if I need to use it as a computer, I can do just that