Quantcast
Thailand travel advice - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Thailand travel advice

Default Thailand travel advice

Hey all,

Looking to take my wife to Thailand and Cambodia for her 30th in January.

I am looking for advice for travelling in Thailand. The 3 main places we want to check out is Bangkok, Koh Phi Phi, and Phuket. What is the best and efficient way to travel between the 3 places?

Bangkok to Koh Phi Phi to Phuket? If Cambodia (see below) is still in the plans, I believe there are flights from Phuket to Siem Riep.

Also, which methods of transportation is best between Koh Phi Phi to Phuket (vice versa)?

If you have any recommendations on cheap flights, it would be great! I will be using aeroplan points to fly us from Calgary to Bangkok. Since I will be saving money on flights, I will be looking at nicer hotels, so if you have any recommendations on that as well it would be awesome!

Cambodia might be out of the picture, I just found some links on travel warnings to the area.

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pa...g.asp?id=46000

I will be checking the scubaboards, but if you have any personal experiences with some scuba diving out there, please share them as well. I am shopping around for dive centers.

Thanks all!

My Ride
    impreza

You can fly, train, or bus from Bangkok to Phuket. If you aren't backpacking or traveling with a budget, flying is quick and not that expensive ($100-150 each).

Getting to Phi Phi there are all kinds of boats and ferries that you can book through any travel agent. Every street has one. These usually include hotel pick up. Shop around for prices.

Any flight you do will most likely connect through Bangkok. You might find it cheaper to book Bangkok-Phuket return, then Bangkok-Sieam Reap return. Bangkok Air will be cheaper than Thai air.

I wouldn't worry too much about Cambodia. Stay away from the Preah Vihear temple area near the Thai border and you will be fine. Angkor Wat is one of the best things I've ever seen, and is a must if you are visiting that part of the world.

I haven't dived on the west coast, but have done a ton of diving on the Gulf side. There might be more answered in the Scuba thread.

Originally posted by mac_82
    You can fly, train, or bus from Bangkok to Phuket. If you aren't backpacking or traveling with a budget, flying is quick and not that expensive ($100-150 each).

Getting to Phi Phi there are all kinds of boats and ferries that you can book through any travel agent. Every street has one. These usually include hotel pick up. Shop around for prices.

-I agree with flying, it's really not that expensive and saves you time

-There are only 2 ferries a day that leave for Phi Phi from Phuket, all the other ferries are for day tours to the island. I dislike Phuket, I wouldn't want to stay there for any longer than 2 days, but I also dislike Bangkok.

-Diving is great out around Phi Phi, but VERY expensive. The whole island is regulated as far as cost of goods and services go. The only shopping you want to do when you're there is to find a reputable shop as the prices are not going to change from shop to shop.

-I'd have to check my dive log again, but i dove with some sweet animals/ sharks/ etc etc. I would average about 18ft per dive with about 30-40 ft of visibility and roughly 30 degree water, it was great!

my wife and i are heading out to the philippines, thailand, singapore and malaysia in december. i'm pretty stoked but i'm most excited about thailand, for sure. i can't wait to watch some fights at lumpinee!
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

Originally posted by mac_82

Any flight you do will most likely connect through Bangkok. You might find it cheaper to book Bangkok-Phuket return, then Bangkok-Sieam Reap return. Bangkok Air will be cheaper than Thai air.

I wouldn't worry too much about Cambodia. Stay away from the Preah Vihear temple area near the Thai border and you will be fine. Angkor Wat is one of the best things I've ever seen, and is a must if you are visiting that part of the world.

I haven't dived on the west coast, but have done a ton of diving on the Gulf side. There might be more answered in the Scuba thread.
    Sweet thanks! Are there any MUST SEE islands instead of Phi Phi and Phuket?

Originally posted by l/l/rX

-I agree with flying, it's really not that expensive and saves you time

-There are only 2 ferries a day that leave for Phi Phi from Phuket, all the other ferries are for day tours to the island. I dislike Phuket, I wouldn't want to stay there for any longer than 2 days, but I also dislike Bangkok.

-Diving is great out around Phi Phi, but VERY expensive. The whole island is regulated as far as cost of goods and services go. The only shopping you want to do when you're there is to find a reputable shop as the prices are not going to change from shop to shop.

-I'd have to check my dive log again, but i dove with some sweet animals/ sharks/ etc etc. I would average about 18ft per dive with about 30-40 ft of visibility and roughly 30 degree water, it was great!
    If you can check your log book and let me know which dive op you used.. that would be awesome!
    Last edited by interlude; 11-13-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Blacktip reef shark (lots), puffer fish, eel, black banded sea snakes, turtles, octopus, and leopard sharks amongst other things.

The best was when we had this one leopard shark pretty much swim with us for most of our dive!

We used Island Divers, to be honest you can go to any shop there, they're all padi certified, there were only like a handful of shops that were a higher level of padi certified. You will be fine at anyone one of them.
    Last edited by l/l/rX; 11-13-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Originally posted by l/l/rX
    Blacktip reef shark (lots), puffer fish, eel, black banded sea snakes, turtles, octopus, and leopard sharks amongst other things.

The best was when we had this one leopard shark pretty much swim with us for most of our dive!

We used Island Divers, to be honest you can go to any shop there, they're all padi certified, there were only like a handful of shops that were a higher level of padi certified. You will be fine at anyone one of them.
    awesome thanks! Maybe i'll look into getting more certifications out there.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

I'd fly from Bangkok, to Phucket, and ferry over to Phi Phi, then ferry back to Phucket.

Airasia is super cheap for flights.

You should visit siem riep while your there. It's so close and its pretty impressive to see. 2 days at the temples is plenty.
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by CapnCrunch
    I'd fly from Bangkok, to Phucket, and ferry over to Phi Phi, then ferry back to Phucket.

Airasia is super cheap for flights.

You should visit siem riep while your there. It's so close and its pretty impressive to see. 2 days at the temples is plenty.
    Awesome thanks!

Should I be worried about the travel warning to Cambodia for Siem Riep? Wife mentioned something about Phnom Penh to check out the museum they have there.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by interlude

Awesome thanks!

Should I be worried about the travel warning to Cambodia for Siem Riep? Wife mentioned something about Phnom Penh to check out the museum they have there.
    I wouldn't worry about Siem Riep. It's nothing but a giant town that supports tourism for the temples. There will be 100s of tourists there at any given time. Their whole local economy is based on it. I doubt you'll ever be in any physical danger.

I also found the food here was the best by far on out trip (Thailand and Cambodia)

Just be smart with your valuables and you should be fine. (I actually got really hammered here one night on 25 cent beers lol, and still made it home to my hotel safely.)

I stayed away from Phnom Penh as I wasn't really interested in going, but if i recall, they also had a similar warning about that city.

My Ride
    AWOL

Yes, you should be worried, in the sense that you are travelling in a 3rd world country. You are a visitor in a foreign land where the average wage is $1-3/day. You don't speak the language, you're not local and the only thing you have to offer is money. You have it, and they want it. SE Asia is crawling with tourists, you'll be fine, just don't flaunt your wealth and stay out of high-risk situations (drugs, overly-friendly strangers). People will try to hustle and rip you off pretty much constantly, just learn to play the game and watch for the hook. Respect the local customs and, if you're there long enough to bother, learn a few words.

PP is a big, boring city but if you look hard there will be some museums, restaurants and shopping that may be of interest.

Avoid going from Thailand to Siem Riep by bus/car through the Poipet border crossing. It's controlled by the local taxi cartel and will cost you $50+

Definitely go to Siem Riep and spend a couple days in a tuk-tuk wandering Angkor, stop by PP if you feel the need, then go south to Sihanoukville if you want beach/party without the absurd Thai prices and Russians everywhere. You can take a slow boat across one of the lakes (I forget if it's between SR/PP or PP/Sihanouk) if the water is high enough, just be sure to take the old-school slow boat not a new fast one...

Originally posted by CapnCrunch
    (I actually got really hammered here one night on 25 cent beers lol, and still made it home to my hotel safely.)
    OMG you daredevil! I wonder if the thousands of others who got hammered down on Pub Street made it home safe too? :P

nm
    Last edited by e36bmw///; 03-05-2018 at 11:30 AM.

nm
    Last edited by e36bmw///; 03-05-2018 at 11:30 AM.

KOH CHANG

very romantic, white sand and hardly anyone knows of it

My Ride
    AWOL

Originally posted by Dumbass17
    KOH

very romantic, white sand and hardly anyone knows of it
    Until your stupid ass tells everyone on a public forum

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

Originally posted by e36bmw///

I would suggest Koh Tao. I was there in June and it was amazing. You could actually take a speed boat there from Bangkok, which still take you abour 4h
    Must have just missed you haha I was diving there from the 1st to 9th.

I second that. Koh Tao is like half the price of Phi Phi and less tourists. While diving you can see a few wrecks plenty of sharks, but the highlight for me was a bunch of jenkins rays.

My Ride
    2015 JGC SRT, 2011 Audi S5, MB CLS, 2015 HD RGS

How is Koh Samui. We are thinking of going in Mar?

Originally posted by e36bmw///

you HAVE to visit Bali and Gili islands
    I didn't find Bali anything special at all... It's basically Austrailias Mexico. This place is swarmed with footballers and drunk rowdy aussies. To say the least... I'm basically done with Asia for a long while.

thanks all. I will talk to my wife about Koh Chang, Koh Samui and Koh Tao.

We were actually thinking about flying to Hong Kong to visit some of my family and friends. Then fly to Siem Riep (and maybe Phnom Penh), then fly to Bangkok, and finish the trip with some relaxation on beaches.

Originally posted by Grogador

Yes, you should be worried, in the sense that you are travelling in a 3rd world country. You are a visitor in a foreign land where the average wage is $1-3/day. You don't speak the language, you're not local and the only thing you have to offer is money. You have it, and they want it. SE Asia is crawling with tourists, you'll be fine, just don't flaunt your wealth and stay out of high-risk situations (drugs, overly-friendly strangers). People will try to hustle and rip you off pretty much constantly, just learn to play the game and watch for the hook. Respect the local customs and, if you're there long enough to bother, learn a few words.

PP is a big, boring city but if you look hard there will be some museums, restaurants and shopping that may be of interest.

Avoid going from Thailand to Siem Riep by bus/car through the Poipet border crossing. It's controlled by the local taxi cartel and will cost you $50+

Definitely go to Siem Riep and spend a couple days in a tuk-tuk wandering Angkor, stop by PP if you feel the need, then go south to Sihanoukville if you want beach/party without the absurd Thai prices and Russians everywhere. You can take a slow boat across one of the lakes (I forget if it's between SR/PP or PP/Sihanouk) if the water is high enough, just be sure to take the old-school slow boat not a new fast one...

OMG you daredevil! I wonder if the thousands of others who got hammered down on Pub Street made it home safe too? :P
    As for scams and stuff, we went to Egypt in 2010 (right before the riots). It sounds like the same type of stuff we had to put up with when we were in Cairo.

Thanks All! Keep the suggestions coming!

Koh Chang sounds very tempting, my wife and I super low key and like to relax. We are not into partying, nor do I have the patience for annoying drunk tourists haha.

My Ride
    73 & 06 vette

Koh Chang sounds very tempting, my wife and I super low key and like to relax. We are not into partying, nor do I have the patience for annoying drunk tourists haha.

then i think you would really like Koh Lipe little bit of hassel to get there but well worth it .....
    View from my bungalow

As far as airlines if you have any luggage by the time you get all the extra fees ect for air asia just book thai air for the few hundred baht more

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast