Quantcast
Is this a proper move? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Is this a proper move?

Default Is this a proper move?

Hi,

So I have been working as a network analyst for about a year at a small business working break/fix and servers also implementations.

However I'm starting to find I am solving the problems way to quick now and it is get redundant. I really like networking and I am able to get a NOC Job downtown for a datacenter working with CISCO equipment. My current jobs client don't have uses for Vmware or real SAN storage which i'm well versed in. However it will be a huge change from my current job.

12 Hour Shifts 4 Days on 3 Days off and also 6 weeks of working day shifts 3 weeks of working nights, with one weekend a month.

The money will be a lot better than what I make now however that is one of the factors, the other factor is if it is a good career move for me. I am interested in VDI and Identity Management as well and eventually want to Project Manage or Create network architecture.

Have any of you guys worked in a NOC environment is it like going back down to help desk?

Just curious all help appreciated.

Thanks!

I've been offered that job many times, it kinda scares me off with the 12 hour thing...I dunno maybe I'm just a 9 to 5 type of guy but something seemed to always scare me off of that one. If it's a big step up in your career, probably worth it, if it's a side step it might not be

Sounds like you're applying at axia? Have you done the interview yet? If not, check out the office, it will give you a better idea of what you'll be getting into there.

Last edited by Cos; 12-31-2016 at 11:25 AM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Even though the Days are longer, a 4-3 schedule is really sweet.

I am interested in VDI and Identity Management as well and eventually want to Project Manage or Create network architecture.
    These are all things you can specialize in and some are, to a normal person, mutually exclusive. Maybe you should figure out what you really want to do.

If you're getting sick of your current job then it's almost never a bad idea to change things up. Gaining new experience and learning new things can't be a bad career move. If you don't like the job, find another one. When you're asked why you didn't stay there very long, tell the truth.

It's that easy.

EDIT: If you've got VMWare and SAN experience, and you want to get into VDI, there HAS to be jobs out there. VDI is building steam and I'm sure there are companies that want to start rolling it out.

All good points.... I figured this would give me exposure to more enterprise networking, then from there with my experience as a System Admin as well I can combine the two to move on to bigger better things but I'm not sure if that's how it works.

It can go both ways, but I think you more often see people moving up by specializing. An enterprise is more likely to have multiple guys with lots of knowledge in one area than one guy that knows it all, and management tends to be managers with a business education, not nerds.

That's why I recommend figuring out what you like the most and focusing on it. I went from Sysadmin to straight networking and I wouldn't change a thing. I still have fun playing with other stuff but as a career move it's been fantastic. If you don't know what you want to do and your current job is stale then I strongly recommend getting a new job, because you're never gonna figure it out otherwise.

Originally posted by Mibz
    It can go both ways, but I think you more often see people moving up by specializing. An enterprise is more likely to have multiple guys with lots of knowledge in one area than one guy that knows it all, and management tends to be managers with a business education, not nerds.

That's why I recommend figuring out what you like the most and focusing on it. I went from Sysadmin to straight networking and I wouldn't change a thing. I still have fun playing with other stuff but as a career move it's been fantastic. If you don't know what you want to do and your current job is stale then I strongly recommend getting a new job, because you're never gonna figure it out otherwise.
    I do lots of Windows/SonicWall/Server and Vm Networking but no where near what I know im capable of doing. How did you like the transition from SysAdmin to Networking.

Also I'm not sure in the IT world if the new position I will be taking is a step down or up. To me it looks like its a new challenge and a step up.

The biggest potential issue with a NOC job is that you have the chance of just becoming a data centre monkey who does little more than watch for red lights and be the network/systems administrator hands and eyes.

Make sure the job you are applying for is more than someone sitting around babysitting a server room.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Im a bit late to this but if you got VMware and SAN experience you should stay in that field rather than get into networks. I think more money is to be had in the Vmware/SAN side of things, you only have to look at peoples car's to figure that out. Most network guys I know have really shitty cars. I've seen guys that do SAN/VMware/Wintel and their cars are way nicer (Xtrema I'm looking at you).
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

Still at same job didn't want to make a jump just yet but if any of you beyond know anyone hiring for Virtualization and identity management hit me up!